Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Young Instructors

Old 10-06-2003, 09:59 AM
Cessna172

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Young Instructors

Hey Flyers

I have been flying for about 3 years and now a full time instructor at our field on the weekends. I don't really find the time to fly like I want to. Once you start instructing it is all diffrent I enjoy all of it though. How many from age 10 to 16 instruct. I am 14 and Instruct. When my U-Can-Do-3D gets here I will stop instructing for a while. I like flying 3D more than anything.
I was just wanting to see how many young instructors like me was out there teaching older people how to fly. Some people look at me and think I really would like somebody that has more flight time. Sometimes it makes me mad and other times it don't. I have been flying for 3 years and I fly about 4 times a week, last Sunday I shot 83 touch and goes yesterday half of them from the other direction.

Calling All Young People To Reply

Thanks Cessna172
Old 10-06-2003, 10:05 AM
Jim_McIntyre

Default RE: Young Instructors

I'm not in that category but I once was.

Take it in stride, it doesn't take long before people respect you for your ability instead of appearance.
I still sport the long hair of my rock roots (although it's getting mostly grey now) but I get respect in the boardroom, except when I encounter a new "suit" ( but the other "suits" are soon to correct them).[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23760.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	65831  
Old 10-06-2003, 11:06 AM
zxcv11

Cessna172

You keep doing what you're doing man....that's great!! The respect will come, just give it some time. I was young going into my business....and used to get less respect because of it.....and some pretty heavy bias and pre-judgement too. But when you show your stuff...they have no choice but to respect your ability!! Keep at it, and when you get that second little look, you know the one I mean..... just smile, cause you know what's really up.[8D]

Jim......Rock On Man!!!!!!

Bri
Old 10-06-2003, 12:25 PM
Scalebuff

i feel your pain mate....

i was one of those that just took to RC within a year i was flying warbirds as good as the rest, i taught 2 young pilots at out club to fly with no problems as our ages were pretty close.

some time later our "HEAD INSTRUCTOR" please!!! left the club and we had 5 pilots left in the cold....

i offered my instruction and it was turned down, i later found that 2 of the pilots were actually laughing between them selves about me offering to instruct them [&o]...

3 weeks down the line all 5 pilots had not learnt a damn thing and were just sitting it out on the side line until someone would buddy with them if they had time, eventually one guy asked me if i would still instruct him, i gave him sarcastic comment and then agreed..

2 weeks latter he was solo and then the rest of the guys start asking, i never did teach those 2 pilots call it re payment if you will but i refused with the line...

"i really don't think im good enough to teach you" and simply walked away, at the end of the day i had the last laugh there while we were flying they just sat there twiddling there thumbs.....

DON'T BE PUT DOWN by these people, i had the whole club looking at me like i was some idiot but what comes around goes around, keep at it mate and PROVE that you have what it takes....

as mentioned above this happens off the field to, i own my own webdesign business and when clients see you walk into there office they are put off in seconds i can se there faces, at first i found this hard to deal with but now i just use it to push me further and do even better in what i do....

the saying "never judge a book by its cover" is a true one....

good luck
Old 10-06-2003, 02:37 PM
scottrc

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's great that you get to experience instructing at your age. You are doing the right thing about taking a break. You can only do it for so long and then need you "own" time.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:45 PM
gubbs3
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know where you're coming from. I just turned 18 and do not instruct but I was at one time 14. At that time I was heavy into racing gas r/c trucks. Week in and week out I would post times every bit as fast as the leaders but simply was brushed aside. My best race came within two seconds of the track record (that's 2 sec. out of a 5 min. heat not one lap). I had my share of victories but not too many respected me for it.

You just need to change your perspectives. Always assume that the other guy is going to blow you off and call you a dumb kid. Then when they actually give you a compliament or their gratitude, you feel good about yourself.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:00 PM
ballgunner

My problem with youngish instructors is that they are so doggone good. I've been modeling since 1934 - 36 with fuel power. Most of the older guys are just jealous because they aren't, or never were that, good. I've been flying RC since reeds were the thing and I'm still an intermediate pilot who needs refresher basics on the buddy box occasionally. Haven't done a first flight on any of my aircraft for years. Just keep on keepin' on. Don't get your feelings hurt, just consider the source.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:00 PM
ekrcflyer

Cessna172:

Here is a related story.
I went to my kid’s PTC at his 2nd grade and his teacher was complaining that he can not tie his shoelaces “at his ageâ€. I looked at her and said: “you know, but he now already knows how to clean-up his computer, do simple maintenance and install/remove software….†She looked at me like probably somebody looks at you when you offering your instructor’s assistance.
Don’t pay attention to these people; keep doing what you like to do. There always “snobs†and people who will consider themselves a center of the universe (mostly out of their own ignorance).
You doing good thing, that’s what counts.

Good luck!!!
Old 10-06-2003, 08:29 PM
GRANT ED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the RC world the only bad thing about being young is not having the money to buy what you want. Young people pick things up quickly. I'm 24 years old now and I started when I was 12. When I got my wings I was the youngest person in the club to do so. I have seen many older people practice and practice and still get frustrated because they take forever to learn things. In fact the one of the best pilots in my club is only 17 and has one alsorts of competitions, Pattern flying, Helicopters, Pylon racing. Just because your young does not mean your low on talent.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:00 PM
JimTrainor

Don't sweat it.

The list of things that age alone qualifies you for in life is exceptionally short.
Flying model airplanes isn't one of them.

If they are looking for a "qualified" instructor they might wish to visit the local flight training center. But they may get an 18 year old.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:13 PM
akflyer
My Feedback: (7)

Been a club instructor since 6th grade..... can't tell you how many times people met me at the airport and laughed when they found out I was going to be their instructor..... Till they saw me fly, then the laughter was silenced. I still fly with alot of the guys I instructed 22 years ago.... Still getting the last laugh too.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:04 PM
YNOT

My buddy Kyle (HanginRoundN) is 15, I think, and has been instructing for a while. In fact, at his club, he is the club's test pilot. Ya gotta new plane, you call Kyle to fly it.

I have never seen anyone question his flying. Question his flying style????? YES!!

Kyle was going to test hop this one guys plane, the guy came to me and asked if I would fly it and I told him, Kyle could do it. And he did.

I do get a kick out of these older people turing over their hours of love to this "kid". I guess, "Hey mister............would you fly me plane for me?" needs to be updated.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:39 PM
Pjtg0707

I don't want to yank your chain( since when does that ever stop me, eh ) , but what does flying ability beyond the minimum have anything to do with teaching ability?

If I was to look for an instructor, I don't give a hoot if you can fly 3d blindfolded while standing on your head, but CAN YOU TEACH? Teaching is an art of knowledge, attitude, manners and maturity. Why would anyone put up with you if all you can demonstrate is one of the 4 qualities? BTW, age has noting to do with teaching ability.

I think Tommy Lasorta once said that the worst players tend to make the best managers.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:48 AM
nascarjoe

ORIGINAL: Pjtg0707

I don't want to yank your chain( since when does that ever stop me, eh ) , but what does flying ability beyond the minimum have anything to do with teaching ability?

If I was to look for an instructor, I don't give a hoot if you can fly 3d blindfolded while standing on your head, but CAN YOU TEACH? Teaching is an art of knowledge, attitude, manners and maturity. Why would anyone put up with you if all you can demonstrate is one of the 4 qualities? BTW, age has noting to do with teaching ability.

I think Tommy Lasorta once said that the worst players tend to make the best managers.
Gotta agree with you on that. Believe it or not, but I heard of a great swimming coach who couldn't swim. I've been taught (?) by RC instructors who were very good pilots, but apparently didn't have a clue on how to teach. Their biggest problem was a serious lack of communication. They would tell me to make a turn, but would not give an specific details on how to make a turn. At first I was being trained with a buddy-box and the instructor would be so intent on watching the plane that he could'nt see how I was constantly banging the sticks around. I did notice that all solo pilot newbies trained at the club also were constantly jerking the sticks around, even though they could get the plane up and down, most of the time without breaking anything.

After seeing everyone mixing a batter, so to speak, I mistakenly thought that that was the proper way to fly, that is until I met up with my current instructor who doesn't use a buddy-cord. He can monitor finger movement and make instant corrections of my movements at the same time. I just started flying very well this year and got rid of the panic movements my fingers were making. Man, what an excellent teacher.

nascarjoe
Old 10-07-2003, 07:47 AM
Cactus.

both me and Cartman instruct at our club, i've got more experience but hes got good quick, as we're about the only ones that do teach we don't get the problems above.
i find most newbies ask an older member who teaches first ( obvious person to ask ) and they get pointed our way, once they've seen you flying they normaly accept that your more than capable.

finding the right instructor for you can be hard, maybe some just can't accept guidance from a young'un

i'm only 24 and already i'm finding i have to walk in a shop and accept guidance from some spotty youth[&o][]
Old 10-07-2003, 09:17 AM
cabanestrut2002

as phil said, i am the youngest instructor in our club (www.rcflyers.net).
i am 18 now, when i was new i was met with a lot of sarcasm and arrogance, theres still one there thats a bit of an idiot but i seem to have a lot more respect now.
if a new guy with a plane turns up with a plane they are directed to me or phil , whoever is there at the time. they do tend to learn quicker with phil, i think hes got some tutoring tricks up his sleeve which i dont know about!

just ignore the tossers and do what you do, keep doing it and you will have the respect you deserve in no time, trust me, ive been there!
Old 10-07-2003, 09:20 AM
Pjtg0707

Holy Batman! There are actually people that agree with me!

Quick, break out he best booze and check of the sun is coming up from the west!
Old 10-07-2003, 09:25 AM
Cactus.

when i was new i was met with a lot of sarcasm
not surprising with what you brought to the field mate LOL
whos the idiot anyway?
Old 10-07-2003, 09:27 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was the youngest instructor at our field when I was a kid. I was teaching most of the students. Some of the older guys didn't like it and started coming up with all sorts of rules about # of planes you have flown, maneuvers you had to be able to do, and a bunch of really stupid stuff. All the people that I taught said you can make any rule you want, but they were still going to work with me. The rules didn't last long because I wouldn't play their game.

Sounds like you are doing a good job. Keep it up. You learn a lot from teaching, and if you are good, you build good instructors to help you teach.

Old 10-07-2003, 09:44 AM
kidkadet

I don't think that age is important, but the relationship between the student and the instructor is. We have a young instructor at our field (16 when he started instructing). He usually teaches the younger pilots to fly and the older instructor teach the older pilots. For the most part this works out good.

When I started looking for instructor for my full scale license I met with 4 or 5 before I decide on the one that I felt like I could communicate with the best.

Learning will be faster if you and the student both enjoy it. Teach the ones you are comfortable with and pass on the ones you are not, but always make time for yourself or you will burn out fast.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:48 AM
cabanestrut2002

phil its the 'cuff'!
Old 10-07-2003, 11:59 AM
Cactus.

i think hes got some tutoring tricks up his sleeve which i dont know about!
get it in their head the sticks arn't bang bang, and get them to stop rolling when they get to 20 degrees anf let the plane turn all on it's own. once the smoothness is there it's pretty plain sailing and you can get to harder stuff, ie the ground and how to get back on it

in a flip side to this "young instructor" i don't like the fact one of the old guys teaches, it's not that he's old, but he's lould, a bit of a rebel and very opininated. he can teach them to fly, but not safely with respect.. flying over the pits is all to common. yes they can't fly well enough to avoid it, but he can take it back and stop them doing it till they can do it alone. When he flys himself it's all the sky for himself and woe betide anyone that strays in his airspace, i don't want these habbits to wear off on the newbies.
Old 10-07-2003, 02:25 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

The reason you're at the place you are at is because of the amount of nitro that you are burning. People often wonder why they aren't getting the hang of flying. Almost always they're flying once a month or less. Flying as often as you do is what got you where you are, and why I would not question your ability.

Instructing is also one of the best things that can happen to a pilot to help teach them more. I've learned MANY things from my students.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:03 PM
Combat Addict

I taught my dad to fly, it doesn't make me an instructor though...

I have also helped others get going, but never trained them.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:07 PM
ekrcflyer

It's tough to argue with your point, Pjtg0707. I had a professor in college who was a very recognized figure in his field, but boy – what a terrible instructor he was!!!!

OK. Enough… Go get yourself more booze! ....

And don't forget to look at the West tomorrow morning!!! [sm=tongue.gif][sm=sunsmiley.gif]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.