Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Do you tell your wife how much you paid?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.
View Poll Results: A poll
Refer primarily to kit purchases
100.00%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Do you tell your wife how much you paid?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 09:45 PM
vanman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Do you tell your wife how much you paid?

I always tell the truth.....I am truly a lucky one! Just like today I couldnt decide which new plane to order.... The aeroworks 40 size edge or the pacific aeromodel 40 size edge so she said buy them both. I replied that then I would need 10 servos and 2 engines not just 1 engine and 5 servos, thats ok was her reply.......[X(]

Got to love that!!!!!!!
Old 10-20-2003, 11:40 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

Mine is an employee at the LHS, I Can't get away with zip !!!!
Old 10-21-2003, 12:57 AM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

Darn, where did you guys meet these women. It wasn't here on this planet was it? I dont ever lie about the cost, thats antiproductive. But I must say I don't look forward to softening her up when it comes to a new purchase either. But a man must do what a man must do.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:26 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Between the two of us; we have 6 bank accounts.

We each have a checking account that only that person can touch.(2)
Same for individual savings accounts.(2)
Then there's a joint checking account that we pay bills out of and take care of the house and kids.(1)
Then there's a joint savings account.(1)

It works. I make about 3 times the money that she makes, but we split it all evenly; right down the middle.

My wife is actually a lot more frugal with her checking account than I am. I spend ALL my money on airplanes, and she just goes to wally world or the department store for clothes for the kids or whatever. She's always got about twice as much in her checking account as me.

Our savings accounts pretty much match each other, because we put the same amount in each week and don't touch it unless it's an emergency.

I don't care how much she spends with her checking account, and she respects me the same.

She does think that I'm totally nuts. Can't understand why I spend thousands of dollars every year to crash planes into the dirt. Maybe she's right- because she still has all those shoes that she's bought and that wall paper that she decorated our daughters room with. I got a garage full of used servos and broken balsa.[&:]

It works for us.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:40 AM
LeeL
My Feedback: (1)

I let my wife know how much I spend when I buy things She does the books. So theres no sense trying to hide something from her, besides I respect her to much to ever be deceitful now with that said I did screw up big time about 2 months ago I forgot to tell her I had bought a new H-9 Sukhoi I used a credit card and just forgot to tell her imagine her surprise when a 18 wheeler from yellow freight pulled up in front of our house and unloaded 2 very large boxes. I felt like sh$% but she was ok about it. I guess I am a very lucky man to have found such a wonderful woman.
Old 10-21-2003, 05:10 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Absolutely I tell her! It's that, or wish I had!!
Old 10-21-2003, 06:49 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

We are very close when it comes to finances. I do a lot of trading and selling of RC stuf to get new stuff. she told me yesterday that she envied my hobby because when I get board with a plane, I can sell it or trade it, and like yesterday, I only paid $20 bucks from the difference between my old plane and new plane in a swap transaction.

When I want something that costs over $100.00, then we sit down and budget for it. Having her involved and accepting the purchase makes it easier for me to enjoy my hobby

She said she wish she could do that with clothes or home decor stuff.

Old 10-21-2003, 04:30 PM
slopoke
My Feedback: (16)

Much of this is more than I wanted to know.
BTW the owner of the LHS has threatened to put a jewelery store next door with a door between the two. Bummer.
[]
slopoke
Old 10-21-2003, 07:10 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

You better tell her what your stuff is worth!
If you should die, your wife would be selling all of your stuff for what you told her it was worth.

Greg
Old 10-21-2003, 07:24 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I always tell her, we have a very honest relationship, that and I can't afford a divorce!!
Old 10-22-2003, 11:09 AM
wiggles

My Hubby stop asking how much. We both get the same amount to play with. I save mine to buy wings, his burns a hole in his pocket. And I finally got ask 2 weeks ago when I had a 33% Extra, 25% Giles,40% Giles and a 30% Cap all sitting in the shed together, "Aren't they all the same?'.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:08 PM
PJC

Nope she does not ask. She knows they make me happy so $$ do not matter, just like her.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:37 PM
jettstarblue

I've got it good! My wife spends her money first, then I just keep a running tab, and spend what I need to. Yes, she spends at least as much on her "goodies" as I do.

Jetts
Old 10-23-2003, 02:28 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Yes I do tell my wife how much I spent for a purchase of a kit, I think that is what keeps me out of Divorce court. I like to see her chin drop when I tell her. Ussually I give her an outradgious price and then I tell her the truth.
NEDYOB
Old 10-23-2003, 02:33 PM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

Good grief no! Why the heck would I tell her? Does she tell me how much those shoes cost? How about those four or five book clubs she gets each month?

I just institutionalized my "monthly Tower order" (sort of like her book club orders.) Now she just accepts it as a fact of life. Truck pulls up and I get a box. I laugh about it and tell her I'm addicted and need a twelve step program. I then disappear into the basement with the box.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:39 PM
OnTheEdge

A guy who frequents one of our local hobby shops, has the proprietor stamp his purchases with new LOWER price tags before he goes home. This way when his wife see the stuff she thinks it only costs a couple bucks.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:02 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: slopoke

Much of this is more than I wanted to know.
BTW the owner of the LHS has threatened to put a jewelery store next door with a door between the two. Bummer.
[]
slopoke
That hobby shop will go out of business...QUICK!
Old 10-23-2003, 07:20 PM
soarer_270

This is a wife. I resent this hobby. Our marriage is about to end over it. I suggest that the truth be told, no matter how painful. It may save YOUR marriage. Sign me, Trust is gone
Old 10-23-2003, 09:12 PM
wings

Don't resent the hobby. It's not hobby's fault your husband wasn't truthful. It would had been even worse if he had spent this much money or say... boos and smokes at the bar, even worse, other women.

I'm not a marriage councelor, but there is MUCH worse he could be doing. I guess the trust thing is a whole seperate issue, but it's not the hobby's fault.

Wings,
Old 10-23-2003, 09:28 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

My wife thinks I spend to much free time out at the field but she likes me to be in the shop building. The trust issue and telling her what I am gonna spend is a whole nother matter.

The,"honey it's better than spending money drinking at the strip club" rationale doesn't fly with her.
Old 10-23-2003, 09:30 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow! I've been waiting for the funny stories to show up with only a few showing a sense of humor. My wife of 16 years seemed happy that I stopped racing motorcycles and cars both on the street and the track to spend time with our new son. This hobby has been a great time for him and I to bond both on the field and in the workshop. I am not able to disclose the true value of all my modeling purchases but she knows I do quite a bit of trading and exchanging.

Soarer your reaction to this hobby is an unfortunate one however it takes more than model airplanes to break up a marrige, it sounds like there are some other issues. Maybe your the model fiend and your husband doesn't share this hobby with you? That would be an interesting twist

ps: He is 4 1/2 now and this past sunday he flew my "built from plans caus I can't afford a kit" PT-19 flawlessly. Made old Dad proud!
Old 10-23-2003, 09:34 PM
wings

Did he take off and land too?
Old 10-23-2003, 09:36 PM
Pteradactyl

I've been married to the same woman for over thirty years. Have I lied to her? Yes... early in the marriage. Do I lie to her now, especially over this hobby? Absolutely not!

It didn't tak long to realize that marriage is not a 50/50 proposition but that you've both got to give 100%. We don't make any large spontaneous purchases without consulting with each other, but we don't complain about each other's hobby purchases either. No, we're not wealthy by a long shot... I'm partially paralyzed, retired Military and now on Social Not-So Security and the wife works at a hospital. Sometimes it might take a couple of months of saving before I can buy that much-desired toy, which makes it all the more enjoyable when I get it. John
Old 10-24-2003, 02:16 PM
iflynething

All if have to say is (well I'm 14) but I just have to say is don't get married. I have a buddy at the field that I fly and he doesn't have a wife and he has thousands of dollars in planes, and even more in the transmitters. I would just say don't get married until you are prepared to cut the paying of R/C things. That is what I am going to do. Don't get married early, but also don't get married late. Another thing, if you have a good job then you don't have anything to worry about. And for the people who are married, no hard feelings or I don't mean to offend you in any way.

Old 10-24-2003, 06:26 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Naw, I'm not ready for that yet. I don't think he is either. He does very well with both planes and helis on the sim. Keeping in line with this thread I have a hard enough time covering my own habit without him stuffing as many as he will need to get going at this age. He does good with the buddy cord but Sunday he was holding the only tranny.

I have heard there is a kid in your neck of the woods flying 3D stuff. Spence is just not focussed enough to go that far. Mind you I do not hold him back, If he wants to fly he gets to fly and I allow and help him fly the manuvers he wants.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.