Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

what bi plane to get?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 08:44 PM
cubflipper02
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what bi plane to get?

Dave patrick ultimate,either the 40 size or the 1.20 size.Both are really good flying airplanes and land extremely easy.Also the goldberg ultimate,with is about a 60 size,also designed by Dave patrick.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:29 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Hands down the Goldberg ULT is the best flyer and performer.If your not into ARFs it is also an easy build. It builds faster than a lot of mono winged planes. Since your a Supertigre fan go ST .90 for 2-stroke or Saito 1.20
for 4-stroke. If you can master an ugly stick with a lot of throw you can handle the ULT on low rates. The main thing on a bipe is the extra drag. if it dies point the nose down and look for a place to land. Personally I like the .90 powered ones for overal flight performance. The only plus with the 1.20 is the verticle and hovering.
If your not into hovering the lighter weight of the .90 makes it a better flyer. If you decide to go 4-stroke put two ELEV servos in the tail to balance out the extra weight. Just mount them under the leading edge of the stab into the fuse sides. If you dont have a computer radio be sure to offset the servos so the control hornes are the same distance to the elevators. One will have to be backwards to the other or your elevators will move like AILE.
Sorry to ramble but this is one of my favorite airplanes. later daveo
Old 03-14-2003, 01:45 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Any Tiger Moth works well as a first Bipe. They are as forgiving as a trainer. (and if they weren't so hard to set up they would make good a first aircraft for beginners) The Tiger is as nice about landing as you can get from any bipe.

Note that ALL bipes lose speed FAST if the engine dies. You have to keep a bit of power on durring landing approach, or get the nose down if dead-stick. Expect 1/2 the glide distance of a similar wing loading monoplane.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:40 PM
FHHuber
Banned

The PT17 is a nice looking bipe and can do OK. It won't be as forgiving as the Tiger Moth, or as aerobatic as the Ultimate.

The kit chosen can have a lot of effect on the Steerman's flying qualities... I'm not familiar enough with any of the current Steerman kits or ARF's to recommend one over another.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:14 AM
jneesy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sig hog bipe is the easiest building best flying bipe out there.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:09 AM
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)

Phaeton from Balsa USA. Either the 46 sized Phaeton II or the big Phaeton 90/120 are about as gentle as they get but still have good aerobatic ability.
They are so gentle that I trained my son to fly using the big 90/120 sized one. Building one takes a little bit of knowledge but it's as gentle as they get at the flying field.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:41 PM
Postal FLyer
My Feedback: (9)

Ground Pounder! Ok lets get the scoop. AR? Ft Leonardwood? Infantry?
Old 03-19-2003, 03:53 PM
Bill L

Speaking of Bipes, Has anyone built or flown a WACO? The full scale were manufactured near me in Troy Ohio, and came in open cockpit and cabin styles.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-20-2003, 05:37 AM
KOJAK

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Pica kits two sizes of WACO bips. Both fly great but they are a real builders kits Big box of wood with instructions to remove everything that does not resemble a WACO.