Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

R/C Flight Schools

Old 04-27-2002, 09:51 AM
airmark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/C Flight Schools

Does anyone have any recommendations as to an R/C flight school to attend?

I've been to the one in Wisconsin about 8 years ago, it was definately worthwhile and and am considering going to another one (or the same school again) this year. I believe there's one in North Carolina, another in Arizonia and probably many more that I'm not aware of.

I'd kinda of like to find a good one in the midwest area if possible and would appreciate any advice other members may have regarding this.

Thanks,
Old 04-27-2002, 01:17 PM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default Flight school

Mark,
Do you not have a club with an instructor???
They are more than willing to help and it is for free.
You can do this...Save you money...Come to the south...I will teach you everyday until you got it...
DOC
Old 04-28-2002, 10:57 AM
airmark

Default club instructors - flight school

I was not very clear in my orginal post RE: "R/C Flight Schools". Our local club, the St. Joe Barnstormers, has been invaluable to me in learning how to build & fly model aircraft. I've received buddy-box time from several of our more accomplished member pilots and would find this hobby much less satisfying w/o their fine fellowship.
My inquirey as to an RC flight school was in no way meant to discount the Barnstormers Club impact or ability to teach newcomers. In fact, I'd probably have taken up another interest after crashing my first model several years ago except for the continued encouragement of my club. While I haven't achieved the level of flying (skill-wise) that I'd like, the rudiments of R/C flying have been pretty well learned by me.
The concentrated instruction a flight school is able to provide seems to work well for me. Weather & work schedules (mine and other club members) tend to work aganist any concentrated instruction by club members here in NW Missouri. I'd really enjoy spending some of my vacation time this summer flying and improving my basic skills through practice.
Special thanks to Air Doc for his generous (and brave offer to allow me to fly at his site in Arkansas. Maybe I'll make in down there one of these days.

Blue skies and Calm Winds,
Old 04-28-2002, 05:09 PM
FHHuber
Banned

When you "peak out" with one group's aid... it isn't a bad idea to be seeking help improving further. You can learn a lot from getting the perspective of another group of modelers.

Maybe just taking a vacation, and visiting an area where there's a lot of modelers, with some who fly every day, you could get in the time you want, meet some people and learn some new tricks. Not necessarilly going to a "school"...

Such as: if you visited this area of TX... There's enough clubs that there's someone flying practically every day. You could visit the Alamo in the evening after flying with the San Antonio club, visit Waco and have a good chance at flying with Todd Blose, who competes in FAI Pattern (and places high at the NATS ) visit our club's field... And in the process have a vacation which would ALSO be interresting for family members who aren't as interrested in model aviation...

Just bouncing an idea around...
Old 04-29-2002, 07:31 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately in too many cases, newcomers to the hobby only has one or even no other clubs to go to. What other choices do they have if they want to learn how to fly?

With all due respect, too many times modelers tend to take what is happening in their specific area as far as the number of clubs there are, is an example to what is happening everywhere else.

What advice should be given to those who can't even find a club in their area?

Take care,
CCR
http://www.kites.org/rc_instructors
Old 07-05-2008, 02:05 PM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: R/C Flight Schools

ORIGINAL: FHHuber

When you "peak out" with one group's aid... it isn't a bad idea to be seeking help improving further. You can learn a lot from getting the perspective of another group of modelers.

Maybe just taking a vacation, and visiting an area where there's a lot of modelers, with some who fly every day, you could get in the time you want, meet some people and learn some new tricks. Not necessarilly going to a "school"...

Such as: if you visited this area of TX... There's enough clubs that there's someone flying practically every day. You could visit the Alamo in the evening after flying with the San Antonio club, visit Waco and have a good chance at flying with Todd Blose, who competes in FAI Pattern (and places high at the NATS ) visit our club's field... And in the process have a vacation which would ALSO be interresting for family members who aren't as interrested in model aviation...

Just bouncing an idea around...
Mark I was a lot like You. I had went as far as I could with one club, just like You I thought they were GREAT people ( and they are GREAT people). You will be suprised at what You can learn just by flying with different people once and a while. This is one reasion that I feel like going to flyin's and funflys. You will be surprised at what You can learn, just by being around different people one in a while. Put the plane in the air and just enjoy.

Some clubs are better at trainers and some are more in to patteren type flying.
This dosent say that there is any thing wrong with the trainer clubs. Not at all. I think I know You, and You are more than welcome to come and fly with us at any time . No commitment required. Just fellow flyers haveing fun. If You would like a ride to a fun-fly, just let me know.

john in missouri
Old 07-06-2008, 08:41 AM
BillyGoat

Default RE: R/C Flight Schools

Airmark, in which way are you looking to expand your skills? Once a flyer gets his wings most typically find a “style” that suits them and they study and practice to that style. So are you looking for instruction for 3-D, precision aerobatics, scale like flight?

I say skip paying a “school” to teach you, instead travel to events that interest you. For instance if precision aerobatics is your aspiration look up IMAC and Pattern, attend one or two events. Or go to a scale events if that is what interests you. Whatever your interests are, there is an event for it.

Just watching the masters of a certain discipline will teach you volumes the local guys poking holes in the sky can’t. Also with many events, participants have a ton of down between flights and are often more than willing to share info. It’s also not out of the question to find somebody that lives close to you that is willing to mentor you, even if you have no desire to compete.