Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Should the AMA Forum Have the Same Guidelines as the Rest of RCU?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.
View Poll Results: A poll
Leave it as is.
53.96%
Same guidelines as the rest of RCU.
46.04%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Should the AMA Forum Have the Same Guidelines as the Rest of RCU?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 11:46 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should the AMA Forum Have the Same Guidelines as the Rest of RCU?

Currently the AMA forum is not moderated to the same standards as the rest of RCU. Some have stated that they no longer visit the AMA forum because of name calling and an unfriendly atmosphere. Others feel that if the AMA forum were moderated to the same standards it would diminish the usefulness of that forum.

Should the AMA forum have the same guidelines as the rest of RCU's forums, or is it better to have it remain as is?
Old 05-10-2004, 12:04 AM
the troll
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Should the AMA Forum Have the Same Guidelines as the Rest of RCU?

Actually the problem exists in all the forums but in the AMA forum it can be allowed to manifest to full maturity.

You may ask “just what is the problem”?

Well it is in one word EGO.

I found out early on that if you disagree with some particular types/views or attempt to illuminate another perspective many will take it personal, try to deflect by discrediting you with names like Troll, anonymous or some such, which shows their immaturity… but what the hey.

IMO a vote is not needed since there is a natural selection and evolution that would be bypassed. Out of that which may seem the worst of conditions a positive reaction can/will/does occur.

If we limit that process the best we can have is the limit.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:37 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

More than 40 views and only seven votes?

To me that means the majority doesn't care either way.

Bill.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:28 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

Well Bill, it'll probably come out the same as the AMA elections with a small percentage of members voting. It seems kind of silly that one guy who refuses to back down and causes arguments in many forums is creating enough of a stink to effect the AMA forum. Sort of like Janet Jackson starting a whole crackdown on "indecency" in the media, both examples seem like an over reaction.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:46 AM
William Robison

BB:

But the "Noise" level in the AMA forum is not as high as the racket about the "Jackson Revelation." But concerning the revelation, I've seen bigger pimples. The pimples were better looking too. UUGGLLYY broad. But her brother is uglier.

But as far as all the disruption in AMA being from one fellow, I have to disagree. There is quite a list of possibles, and which one any faction might select will be different from the one selected by the next faction. And it seems that some groups have a different "Bad Guy" for every day of the week.

Bill.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:36 AM
KFalcon
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: William Robison

BB:

UUGGLLYY broad. But her brother is uglier.

Bill.

When you say "broad" do you mean female?
Old 05-10-2004, 03:17 AM
William Robison

Kenny:

The word "Broad" can be used with absolutely no relation to anything gender specific. If you have ever sailed the waterways in eastern England, around Norfolk, you will know those waterways are known as the "Norfolk Broads," The name has nothing to do with the female population of the area.

If you follow the Eastern Branch of the Lynnhaven river, near Norfolk Virginia (USA) you will come to a body of water called "Broad Bay." And even though it is near Virginia Beach, a popular seaside resort area, the name of this body of water is not meant to indicate a good trolling spot for a lecher.

"Broad" as a slang term is a lot more specific than merely female. If we just say "Female" we could be talking about a hen. Of the feathered variety, of course. There are even some varieties of tree that have gender. Our standard Christmas decorative holly, for example. And you may not realize it, but a holly grove consisting of all male, or all female, trees will not produce any of the pretty red berries. And it will die out.

But in the case of post number five on this thread, if you really need to ask what I meant you haven't been living in this great nation more than a few days. I doubt you can find anyone over the age of six years who does not know the meaning in this usage.

Finally, that first paragraph was intended to illustrate the amount of off topic comments made in the AMA forum, just as your post, number six in this thread, had absolutely nothing to do with the topic as started by DepFife.

Likewise this post, insofar as it pertains to the moderation of the AMA forum, is mostly noise other than explaining exactly what "Noise" means in this application, and possibly contributes to your edification, and therefore to your education.

Bill.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:17 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Gee, Bill; the discussion is about AMA forums, and you get nicked for being non-PC...

Are we sure THIS isn't the AMA forum???

I agree with the Troll; a certain degree of animosity is present on all forums; it is the nature of humans to be competitive and combative. Personally, I say leave it like it is, since the same folks are always beating the same old arguments to death. By inhibiting their activity in the AMA Forum, they might be inclined to vent out here in the "general population".

The fact is, 99% of modelers really don't care about the AMA one way or another. Its like your driver's license and vehicle tags; a necessary annoyance that one must renew periodically, and then no more attention is paid to it. The "one per-centers", while passionate, love to debate minutiae at the drop of a hat. So let them have a place to do it.

And please, do not slam me for not caring. I tried to mobilize my area membership years ago over the Muncie deal, and was greeted with near-total apathy. That's when I woke up. And seeing how some of the recent elections have been engineered to protect incumbents just re-inforces my belief that the AMA is an entrenched bureaucracy; and you really cannot fight city hall.

So spare me the "If you want change, get involved!" diatribes. Effecting change requires majority support. And it simply isn't there; as several high-profile fellows have discovered. And even if it is, the deck will be stacked against you by those who don't want their applecarts upset.

Old 05-10-2004, 07:32 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd vote yes (but why is this not a poll?)

The AMA forum is the most unfriendly of all the forums - due to a very few.

Paul
Old 05-10-2004, 08:00 AM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: RCPAUL

I'd vote yes (but why is this not a poll?)

The AMA forum is the most unfriendly of all the forums - due to a very few.

Paul
Look at the top of the thread. There should be a poll there.

Eric
Old 05-10-2004, 08:23 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I see absolutely no reason why ANY forum should have special rules. It's not like the rules are THAT hard to follow! Geez!
Old 05-10-2004, 09:02 AM
SDR-Hammer

Due to the political nature of that forum, heated discussions and disagreements are going to happen. That’s fine if they have would some manners about it and leave out the personal attacks.

It’s documented that a few regulars in that forum have a true dislike for one another. Invariably someone will ask an innocent question and before too long the gloves come off and a couple of the regulars are going at it.

That forum has one theme confrontational! If the obtuse behavior would just remain on that forum I wouldn’t mind, but unpleasant character can be like a cancer that spreads to other forums. Remarks and verbal jabbing between those that have developed a disdain can carry over to the other forums.

That forum needs to be monitored to the same standard to keep continuity throughout RCU.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:59 AM
Roll On 60

Personal attacks and name calling should not be permitted in any forum. The AMA forum is by far the worst and should have the same controls as all others.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:04 AM
rockmon

I say leave it as it is I realise there are a couple of people who don't get along and the prop-nut thread has gotten a little out of hand but it will blow over just like all the rest of the bantering has. We are adults (I know that can be argued as well)but feel that if you don't want to read something all you have to do is back out of the thread or just don't go to the ama forum if it bothers you that much. I also think something as simple as a warning that the thread will be closed down if the name calling doesn't stop will be enough to make it stop at least I would hope so. Now lets all have a big group hug and get on with life as we know it.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:08 AM
Live Wire

Sound like some clubs different rule for different people. If you don't want to get burned don't play with FIRE!
Old 05-10-2004, 11:34 AM
PlanePlanter
My Feedback: (9)

The plus side is if it were moderated the same my monthly popcorn bill would go down, the down side of that is I would have nothing to LMAO when I got board. Leave it alone! Things are OK the way they are
Old 05-10-2004, 11:40 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I won't mention any names since anyone who hangs out in the AMA forum will know who I'm talking about, but there seems to be only two people in that forum that seem to disagree with each other on purpose on every post. These two are kinda like the Siskel and Ebert of AMA policies. These guys get a kick out of bashing each other. Like Marc said in the description during one somewhat violent thread, the AMA is too involved in policies and politics, that we are going to get emotional over the things they do, if we cant get emotional, then don't have the forum. However, if someone could moderate the regulars that constanly bash each other in every thread, the forum may get some more constructive usage from other RCU members.

Scott
Old 05-10-2004, 11:52 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: rockmon

all you have to do is back out of the thread or just don't go to the ama forum if it bothers you that much.
Yes but in that way the forum is going to loose a lot of valuble contributors on both sides of any issue and the forum just degenerates into a boys club of personal attacks.

I also think something as simple as a warning that the thread will be closed down if the name calling doesn't stop will be enough to make it stop at least I would hope so.

I certainly agree with that point and of course that is the sorely needed moderation that is so sadly lacking.

John

>>edit: corrected html coding.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:00 PM
Crashem

Leave it as it is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its the only spot on this site that hasn't been PC'd to death!!!

Besides reading JR and FHubber going at it is almost as much fun as any post from HossFly
Old 05-10-2004, 12:00 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One squeeky wheel getting the whole tub of grease?

Nah.....
Old 05-10-2004, 12:09 PM
J_R

It seems to me that there are two types of threads in the AMA forum.

The first, those that have a definitive answer, are not, typically, that contentious; e.g. when someone wonders in and asks if the AMA insurance covers theft from a car. The query will be answered with facts, and a few opinions thrown in.

The second type is where there is no cut and dry factual answer, nor even a question. There may be, for instance, an assertion that the AMA is going to start a captive insurance company. The discussion of such topics can become extremely contentious.

I view one group of posters as the “Loyal AMA opposition”. In my mind, they are represented by Horrace Cain. Rarely do I agree with Horrace. At the same time, I strongly believe that he serves an extremely useful function. He draws the attention of those in the AMA forum to potential issues and forces people to think about their AMA. I have consistently tried to characterize Horrace as being in search of conspiracies under rocks. He, in turn, labels me a parrot for the EC (not a fact by the way  ). The labeling goes to credibility and is part of any contentious discussion. At any rate, some name calling and labeling is to be expected when politics are discussed, IMHO.

There are others. Some can not make a point with words and reduce the discussion to name calling. The fact that they are incapable of making a point without resorting to name calling reflects on their credibility and how their comments in discussions are viewed in future discussions. The process is, as the troll posted here, a “natural selection and evolution”. In the thread sited, I neither desired, nor asked for, intervention by the moderators or management of RCU. Through whatever process: either peer pressure, or intervention, the individual who apparently raised ire of many, has modified his posts and signature. Did the current system work? I think it is apparent that it did.

Is it worth putting a muzzle on the likes of Horrace Cain, or J_R, or many others that post in the AMA forum, and seem to be able to keep it to a dull roar, so that a very few are kept at bay? I think not. There is much posted about the AMA, and it’s leadership, that would never become public if it were not for the AMA forum. Many of these are issues that do have importance to AMA members other than the “normal” characters in the AMA forum. In recent months it has served as a place for the turbine community and the Pro Bro’s to air their grievances and opinions. Not all of their comments were politically correct, to put it mildly. Would you stifle the opinions they offered, or, for instance, their comments on Dave Brown, just because they used name calling as a device to get their emotions across?

The decision, as to the direction of the AMA forum, is yours. Vote wisely.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:25 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: scottrc
Like Marc said in the description during one somewhat violent thread, the AMA is too involved in policies and politics, that we are going to get emotional over the things they do, if we cant get emotional, then don't have the forum. However, if someone could moderate the regulars that constanly bash each other in every thread, the forum may get some more constructive usage from other RCU members.

Scott
I would have to agree with this view. But by moderating it, I don't mean going overboard and trying to make it PC.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:45 PM
Tx_RcFlyer
My Feedback: (7)

let it stay as is. Otherwise we will have to deal with their garbage in the other forums.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:56 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: tedster

let it stay as is. Otherwise we will have to deal with their garbage in the other forums.
Ted

I am a little surprised. It appeared to me that you had your most recent post in the AMA forum answered as reasonably as possible, and you seemed to appreciate it. Why would you characterize it as garbage?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.a...386&tostyle=tm
Old 05-10-2004, 01:17 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hee Hee, I like that point, a least they will stay contained.

I just read the prop nut thread. Are these guys under the age of 14? I just spent a weekend with a dozen 8 to 12 yr old boys on a campout. There wasn't much difference between their conversations in the tents and the conversation goining on in the AMA forum. I like the battleing of wits and mudslinging that we partake in. But the flatout namecalling needs to be stopped. This forum may be read by teachers, politicians, parents, and children, and will reflect on how we as RCer's are percieved.
If we act like children, then we might be treated as such when trying to do a show at a school, ask for use of government land or resources, petition a noise abatement codes, recruit more members. or to try and save a flying site.
Whenever I get upset because a thread was moderated and locked because I was goofing off, I go back and think that there may be many that visit RCU looking to see what we are all about. And would I want to be percieved by someone looking to get in to RC as a namecalling, hard to get along with, whiner?

Scott

ORIGINAL: tedster

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.