Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Paved Runway Cost

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 09:16 PM
mulligan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paved Runway Cost

Our club will soon consider a paved runway.

Looking for some feedback on typical costs paid for actual runway paving costs (not including permits, engineering, etc.)

A square footage number would be great, but actual cost/runway size case point data would also be great.

FYI, our contemplated runway would be about 400' x 50'

Thanks,
George
Old 07-14-2002, 10:38 PM
BingoFlyer

mulligan,

Contact the Ocala Flying Model Club in Ocala, FL they just installed a asphalt runway and would have cost. They lost their old field and moved to the new field last fall (official opening was this spring) I think it is one of the best sites in FL. I'm in Michigan now or I would have a contact person for you but the AMA can help you.
Old 07-14-2002, 11:52 PM
Shangri-La

Mulligan,
What is the name of your club, and where is it located? I fly at RCACF in Apopka. We have a paved runway. I will check with the board as to what the costs were.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:10 AM
YNOT

Default Runway

We installed a 350X30 and the cost was $17,000. We already had paved taxiways to our old tarpaper runway.

We were quoted up to $30,000.00. We shopped around and found a guy who liked airplanes and he is who we worked the deal with.

The best investment we have made in the club. We did take out a loan for the runway. One of the club members loaned the money to the club, that worked out well.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:49 PM
ramcharger

A 600 ft by 45 ft asphalt runway with approaches and a good size pit area cost $25,000 in 2001.
Old 07-15-2002, 01:16 PM
MAJSteve
My Feedback: (-1)

Our club put in a field. We rough graded it ourselves and the contractor did the final grading (and did a great job). Our strip is 70 x 600 and has two 100x10 ft taxiways included in the price.

We got ours for $.85 a sq ft, and this was the lowest bid. The next bid was $1.10 a sq ft. Concrete was $1.30 a sq.ft.

We added a 30 x 216 concrete slab for a pit area with a separate contractor and that cost us $8,000.
Old 07-15-2002, 01:57 PM
mulligan

Thanks for the info, guys. Morris, I'll find the number for Ocala- thanks.

Shangri-La, I am with Sanford Aero Modelers (SAM) on SR46- about a 115 members, very large, open grass field. PM me if you want further details.

Anyone heard of some kind of alternative material- I've heard (very little) about kevlar carpet or conveyor material. What material is this exactly and what company makes it?

- George
Old 07-15-2002, 03:27 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

George,

I am aware of two different alternative materials. One is called Petro-Mat which I believe is the material used under roadways. If you look at road contruction sites, you will see it laying around. I think if you go to the AMA district 8 web site you can get more information.

The other is conveyor belt material which is what our club has. Our stuff came from a paper mill and is called dryer belt. I believe we got ours for free from either a mill that was closing or their cast offs. It is about 20 feet wide and what we have is of varying lengths so we have kind of a patch work arrangement. Works pretty well and requires little maintenance.