Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

A Trip To The RC Field

Old 07-28-2002, 11:44 PM
Ptarmigan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Trip To The RC Field

Today and yesterday I went to the RC field near my house. On Saturday, I was about to fly, until my tail broke off, partly due to a very windy day . That screwed things up. Also, I saw a mid-air collision with a trainer and sports plane. Both landed in the forest and were totaled. One of the RC'er has bad luck with RC flying. On Sunday, I saw one crash and my plane was ready to fly, except it was still too windy . I hope to fly this week . The people there were nice and cool. They came from all over from Chicago, New York, Lafayette, Louisiana, and Vietnam.
Old 07-29-2002, 01:47 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple years ago this guy came out to the field. On his way he had to stop real quick to avoid an accident. When he showed up, he was unloading his plane, when the entire tail section fell off when he pulled it out of the truck. Poor guy wrecked his plane and never flew it.
Old 07-30-2002, 12:45 AM
Mike Bell
My Feedback: (6)

Default Never meant to see it fly

Had an 80" cap arf I worked on of and on all winter.
2 hrs from being ready I needed some cash for another plane of course.
Sold it ARTF real cheap to a friend who finished the "minor" stuff and was taking it to the field when he discovered the fuse wouldn't fit in his Cherokee with the family.
He tied it to the roof and guess what ......Of course, the ropes let go and broke the fuse in two when it hit the road.
Now he fixes it and takes it to the field a week or so later, this time in a trailer he bought. Good idea
Got it out, put it together double checking everything and now it won't start
A few days later after fixing a broken ignition connection (probably from the road rash) he gets it up :sunsmiley , makes a few roundy rounds and a flame out!
Trying to get to the runway he banks it steep and applies way to much elevator, it snaps out and plows it in real hard.
Didn't see it. As a matter of fact I only saw it the day it wouldn't start but I guess it is history. A 4 piece fuse now......
Just a plane not meant to fly I guess........

Mike
Old 07-30-2002, 01:15 AM
Saito_56-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default This one is great

I was looking at this Sig LT-40 a friend of mine has, and noticed the top of the muffler was all scraped up! I asked him what happened, and here is the storry!! He packed up his stuff in the back of his Dodge Pickemup Truck, and was talking to another guy. Got in his truck and was driving home, reliving the days flying, when this woman starts tailgateing him. Finally she pulls up along side, and they slow down, she says, "Do you fly a red airplane?" Yes he answers. Well she says, it is about two miles back in the middle of the road! He go's back and finds his plane inverted in the middle of the road, minus the OS FX .46. the reason for loosing the plane, he forgot to put the tailgate up! So he starts walking the road, when another woman comes along, and says, "Are you looking for a shinney silver thing?" Yes he says, and she says it's about a mile back down the road! Sure enough there was the motor in the middle of the road! Turns out, the tailgate was down, the plane rolled out, and drug behind the truck for a while basicly grinding off the top of the head of the OS! What a guy!
Old 07-30-2002, 02:19 AM
Ed

Had a club member pull in to the field and started to unload his stuff. Carried his tool box to a bench, next the flight box, next his transmitter, next his wing, next his fuselage. However, as he carried the fuselage to the bench he noticed that it was unusually light. NO ENGINE ! ! ! He said that he had the engine out the night before, and forgot to replace it.

Needless to say, the gentleman is no longer in R/C.
Old 07-30-2002, 02:24 AM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Man...........thats when you know its time to quit
Old 07-31-2002, 03:38 AM
bear750
My Feedback: (30)

It never ends...

I had a brilliant idea of saving space in the shop. so I built a plane rack out of 1" PVC pipe. It was 7' tall and real pretty. It held 5 wings and 5 fuses.

A few days later, I went to the shop for something. I shut the door and heard a crash, bonk, thud... The 4*60 on top fell onto the Mt magic (breaking the fin) and then jumped onto the LT-40 on the floor breaking the stab. On the way down, the 12X8 prop went through the monokote of two wings. (The rack had turned into a banana.)

Nothing like crashing planes indoors, gives a whole new meaning to deadstick landings.
Old 07-31-2002, 03:54 AM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel ya. Was wearing reading/modeling detail glasses, which prevent seeing anything more than 2 feet away. Tripped over the corner of a box in the garage and fell my lard***** self all over my $7000 Cessna. Busted the tailcone off, ripped the nav wiring out and other misc. damage. About 3 hrs. repair.
Man, did I feel stupid.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:09 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

At an old flying field we had a guy that was a notorious crasher. The guy had more money than brains, so he'd come out top the field, crash, then go to the LHS and buy one of the ready built planes off of the ceiling, then he'd show up at the field the next weekend. One of his more spectacular crashes was the time he augered it into the Interstate Highway right behind our field. As if the impact of hitting the road surface wasn't bad enough, 4 cars hit it before he could get to it!