Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Problem with Hobby Town USA

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Problem with Hobby Town USA

Old 08-28-2004, 08:57 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with Hobby Town USA

Found out something interesting yesterday. I purchased a gas manual fuel pump from the Hobby Town in the Castleton Area of Indianapolis, IN. The pump was junk. Since I live in Georgia, I went to Macon, Ga to return it at the Hobby Town near the mall. They would not take it back saying that they don't have any responsibility or affiliation with other stores.

If this is true, then what is the purpose of buying from a national chain? I guess that is my last purchase at a Hobby Town store!
Old 08-28-2004, 09:32 PM
Righty

Default RE: Problem with Hobby Town USA

maybe you should have asked about there return policy before you bought it...
Old 08-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not a national chain although it gives the appearance that it is. They are a franchise and they owe you nothing from another store. We had a guy here start one up. Lasted about a year and a half. Nobody supported him because he was an idiot. and his prices were outrageous.

It all fell apart and he was bought out .
Old 08-29-2004, 06:57 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Geistware, sorry you had to come all the way to Macon to find that out. Know what, even if it was a "Chain" and had a return policy, the idiots at this Hobby Town, Macon, would not know about it. They probably would have tried to give you a bicycle, breast pump or a can of "pork-n- beans" instead of a gas pump. Hell, they just do know how to unlock the doors in the morning and I think they may have to ask a passer-by to help them with that. There hiring policy is" If your mom and dad were not at least first cousins, you can't work here.
Hobby Town my *****, the only Hobby this store knows about is R/C trucks and plastic models, and sheet music. ( don't even ask) Ask them to stock 30% fuel, 1/4" foam , smoke fluid,or a hand pump for "gas" not glow, and they give you that deer in the headlight look. AND if they do happen to order something for you, when you go in to get it they have to make 300 phone calls to find out how much it cost.
Notice all the Scooters ? What the hell do thay have to do with a hobby ? They cannot and will not stock R/C plane parts because they do not turn the products over every 30 days, I want to see them sell 25 scooters a month.
Sorry "Hobby Town Macon " is sore subject with me.
[:'(][sm=kiss.gif]
Old 08-29-2004, 09:21 AM
bentgear

The difference between Hobby Town's can be frightning. It boils down to the local owner and whatever creatures he hires to help run the place. We had a good one for years, then the owner died. The new owner is a great guy, but it started downhill. To his credit, I think I am starting to see signs of life in the place again.

Ed M.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:04 AM
jettstarblue

The HT I had to deal with sounds just like the one in Macon!
Pokieman cards? Sure! "scientific projects''? No problem!

11X6 pros that go up to 7 bucks at X-mas time! They aren't sure what they are used for, but by God they'll jack 'em up for the holidays!

I caught the owner trying to change price tags on a speed controller I wanted to buy....he thought the price looked a little too low apperently, and said "hold on a minute, I'll be right back", and dissapeared with it, I went back to the display case to see what was up, and he was switching the tags!!!!!!!

Absolutely NO knowledge of planes, unless they are static plastic ones. None of the (help?) can help, just stand there and talk to there friends on the cell phone.

I DID get a sweet deal on my H-9 Arrow, 'cause the phone gabbing ass grabbers were too busy doing there thing to do their job, and marked the thing @ 249.99!!!! I'd have bought two if they stocked that many.......
Old 08-29-2004, 10:11 AM
Righty

if you don't like hobby town USA, then why shop there. and if its the only place within distance you should be glad to have it...
Old 08-29-2004, 10:20 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's put it this way, I'm really glad that there are more hobby shops around here besides Hobby Town USA. The one in my town is not very useful.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:41 AM
jettstarblue

ORIGINAL: Righty

if you don't like hobby town USA, then why shop there. and if its the only place within distance you should be glad to have it...
That's like saying "if all you have is a sh$@ sandwich, you should be glad for the flavor and eat it." [X(]

If a car dealer is the only one in town, and asks 25 grand for a Geo Metro, and dosen't know how to add oil, you still gonna go buy one?

I'll shop online, or do what I usually do, and find an alternative source/material, and pay 1/10th the price.
HobbyClown Useless-A can keep their overpriced products, and I'll be happy that the inept staff works there, and not the local hospital or nuke plant......
Old 08-29-2004, 12:51 PM
smokingcrater

two things for hobbytown:
first off all, you have to stock what sells. How many hand crank fuel pumps move off the shelf? how about smoke oil? In my personal area I know of no other active flyers flying gasoline, and no one with smoke. Do I complain that I had to buy a pump off the internet, no... simple business concepts, stuff sitting on the shelves is costing you money. The local hobbytown already absorbs some cost to help local flyers.

and secondly, staffing is the greatest single thing affecting a good/bad one. I know every person that works at the local hobbytown, including the owner. I fly with them on a regular basis! Obviously they are very experienced in model RC stuff in general and because of that the service is great!
Old 08-29-2004, 01:55 PM
Righty

That's like saying "if all you have is a sh$@ sandwich, you should be glad for the flavor and eat it."

If a car dealer is the only one in town, and asks 25 grand for a Geo Metro, and dosen't know how to add oil, you still gonna go buy one?

I'll shop online, or do what I usually do, and find an alternative source/material, and pay 1/10th the price.
HobbyClown Useless-A can keep their overpriced products, and I'll be happy that the inept staff works there, and not the local hospital or nuke plant......
Whats your problem... Nobody has a gun to your head saying you must shop at Hobbytown USA. If you don't like it go somewhere else for your RC needs. You don't need to come online and whine about how incompetent (sp?) the sails people are.

Sheesh
Old 08-29-2004, 02:05 PM
jettstarblue

Righty, I have no problem. I'm not whining either, just stating fact, get it right. And in case you don't read any further, I DON'T SHOP THERE.

First, no one is complaining about buying anything on-line, the complaint is the horrendous service/rediculous prices @ (most) hobbytowns. (Unfortunately, most of us have to SHOP at a place once or twice to find out it sucks, unless you have a secret method of knowing which stores are good before you ever walk in)

As for "you can only stock what will sell", I've been to much smaller hobby shops, who stocks all kinds of stuff that sits awhile, and they don't price gouge.

knobbytown could sell tons of aircraft stuff, if only they knew a tiny bit about it. Like how to price it, what it does, and most importantly, if they even have it.

Who you callin' DuBro?
"A Sullivan slant tank, Uh, I don't think we sell those kind of tanks." (he thought I meant a military tank, not a fuel tank, actually, he didn't have a clue WHAT I was talking about, nor did he care)

A G.P "Escapade" for 89.99? COME ON NOW!!! It will be there another year, I'm sure.
A G.P. 5 amp speed controller for 49.99? Yeah, after the owner changed the price tag, which originally said 24.99. I saw him doing it! After I had it on the counter!!
7.99 for 11X6 props, because it's the Christmas rush? You know where to put those, and I don't mean on the shelf!

Needless to say, I don't go there anymore. THERE ARE FAR TOO MANY PLACES MORE DESERVING OF MY MONEY.
I've even written corporate HQ to let them know of these things, but never got a response. Guess as long as they make a bunch selling zip zaps, and dungeons and dragons stuff they won't have a need to sell to/service R.C. plane modellers.
Too bad.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:14 PM
Geistware

THE one in Indiana will refund or exchange.
My problem is I figured that it was a chain who honored product purchased at all their stores. I purchased it because it was a ergonomic unit that I had never seen before and had adjustments to make sure that it ran smoothly. I took a chance. I will probably be back in Indiana next month, so I will return it then.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:44 PM
bentgear

Geistware, is it the KSJ unit you are talking about? If so run the little set screw in while turning the handle. When it locks, back off just a little. Good unit after you get it adjusted. If it can't be adjusted I woud say it is bad out of the box. Several folks around here using them and they are working great. Has turned into my favorite hand crank unit.

Ed M.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:45 PM
JDB

The Hobby Town USA in Ormond Bch. FLA. charged me for buying 2 Dubro clevis tools when I only purchased 1. I had picked up a few different items that day and I did not recognize the error until I had gotten to my vehicle. I returned to the store with my bag of purchases, and told the gentleman that he made an error in the checkout. He promtly told me that the mistake was mine and not his. He was correct, I will stop flying RC before I do bussiness with them again
Old 08-29-2004, 08:54 PM
Righty

He was correct
then whats the problem?
Old 08-29-2004, 08:56 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

My HobbyTown USA sounds exactly the same here in Fresno.. Althought some of the people working their do try and help my problem is calling them asking for something in stock, and A, they say it is and I drive 30 minutes to find out its not even there, or B they don't have it.

My biggest problem is they didn't even have 15% nitro fuel so I had to get 10%.

I order 99%, no make that 100% of my things online now. I only go to the hobby store to buy fuel.
Old 08-29-2004, 09:06 PM
Geistware

Yes, that is the unit.
My problem is that it desolves the plastic (milky white fluid mixed in my fuel).
It also leaks like crazy and takes a million cranks to fill a 32oz tank.
I will go back to using gravity!

ORIGINAL: bentgear

Geistware, is it the KSJ unit you are talking about? If so run the little set screw in while turning the handle. When it locks, back off just a little. Good unit after you get it adjusted. If it can't be adjusted I woud say it is bad out of the box. Several folks around here using them and they are working great. Has turned into my favorite hand crank unit.

Ed M.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:21 PM
bentgear

Yes, that is the unit.
My problem is that it desolves the plastic (milky white fluid mixed in my fuel).
It also leaks like crazy and takes a million cranks to fill a 32oz tank.
I will go back to using gravity!

I know of about 10 guys using them and I have two, one for glo and one for gas, never seen that problem before - but i will be watching for it. I assume you did change out the tubing before using it for gas, stupid to ask I know, but........

Just as info: To get the pumping speed up there is a small hole in the back with a hidden screw that takes a small allen wrench. If you tighten the screw I am not sure if it tightens the gear mesh or causes a side plate to close up but the volume goes up, if it gets hard to turn you have gone too far. The speed that these units pump at was what attacted me to them to start with.

Ed M.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:29 PM
BillyGoat

What kind of answer is that? Do you inquire about the return policy on every purchase you make?

Second, when JDB inferred that the salesperson was correct about it being his mistake… It was in reference of being a mistake for even shopping there in the first place.

Old 08-29-2004, 11:10 PM
ThacherD

I hate to hear stories of how people have had bad experiences with hobby shops. I personally do not have any horror stories regarding the 2 HobbyTown USA stores that I have shopped. (One is in Sioux Falls, South Dakota and the other in Minnetonka, Minnesota) I was just at the Sioux Falls store today, and had some good conversation with the workers there. The employees who fly rc in that store are the ones I have dealt with, not because I requested them, but because of other employees that admitted honestly "I don't fly, but I will go get someone who does and they will answer your questions" Your complaints in this forum boil down to two items that have nothing to do with RC. They are customer service, and training. The first one actually falls under the second, and they are the responsibility of the Management or owners of that store. I guess Hobbytown USA has problems that every other retail store, chain, etc. has in America. Some managers and employees just don't get it, that the customer is the reason that they have a job. (Can You tell I used to work retail?? Hell, I have a Masters in Business!) Unfortunately, poor customer service will kill a store. I mentioned that I have also shopped at a Hobbytown in Minnetonka, Mn. I would say that this store treated me very well. My son and I were visiting my brother in Minneapolis to help him move into a new house. For entertainment we went to the Hobbytown store, looked around, and impulse bought a couple of Zig Zag 2 boats to take out to a nearby pond and race around. To make a long story short, we had nothing but problems with my boat (my son's ran fine). I actaully returned it, and the manager gave me a new one, which did the same thing as the first, so we returned it again, and got a third boat. The manager was nothing but helpful in this situation. He was also apologetic for our troubles. The best thing is that we first dealt with a clerk who was new to the job and had the training to ask someone if he needed help. He went and got the manager and the rest is history. Was I happy about the product that I purchased, No? But the manager was helpful in resolving my problems. He even offered to refund my money. (But my son wanted to race). I guess my point for this whole reply is to point out that just because the McDonalds that you eat at all the time is good, doesn't mean that all of the McDonalds restaurants are good, just because the Ford dealership that you do business with is honest doesn't mean that all Ford Dealerships are honest, Just because the Super 8 Hotel down the street from you is clean and cozy, that all Super 8 Hotels are going to be just as clean and cozy, and just because your local Pizza Hut delivers to you in a timely fashion with a hot pizza doesn't mean that all Pizza Hut's have the same service. All of these businesses have one thing in common. They are all franchises. They use a common name to create stores that people identify with, but they are not all run the same. In the end, I don't want people to bash the name Hobbytown USA, just because they encountered poor service from one franchise store. I'll bet that for every poorly managed Hobbytown store, you could find one that is run in an exceptional way. By the way, I'm not a HobbyTown regular. I live 120 miles from the nearest Hobbytown store in Sioux Falls. So, I do most of my shopping online. I just know good service when I receive it.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:46 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Shortman

My HobbyTown USA sounds exactly the same here in Fresno.. Althought some of the people working their do try and help my problem is calling them asking for something in stock, and A, they say it is and I drive 30 minutes to find out its not even there, or B they don't have it.

My biggest problem is they didn't even have 15% nitro fuel so I had to get 10%.
wow, that's exactly my story to the "T" and I am thousands of miles from you. I kept going there for stuff, very common stuff, and they never had it. So one day I decide to be clever and call ahead to see if they had, get this, THIN CA !!!! He says yeah he has it, and he's looking right at it on the shelf. I get there and he shows me what he was looking at. It's not THIN CA it's THICK CA. He goes "oh it will work just as good". I'm like "dude, this is for installing CA hinges!!!". What dork uses thick CA for CA hinges? Man I walked out of there cussing, saying I'd never be back.

Joe
Old 08-30-2004, 01:20 AM
rcairplanenut

I only buy small priced items that are inline with towers prices from hobby town.

motor mounts
fuel
push rods
t horns
exc..........

SG

For expensive stuff i go to graves in orlando, copar in denver or tower, both have fair prices. a bussness has to make it worth my effort to buy from them, ie fair prices, and i have spent over 10 grand in this hobby over the past 12 years.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:53 AM
NOVAflier
My Feedback: (21)

Is it me, or has Righty only added provocation to the entire thread?
Old 08-30-2004, 07:55 AM
jettstarblue

He was correct
then whats the problem?
Your antagonistic posts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.