Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Club Member of the Year?

Old 12-06-2001, 01:37 AM
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Club Member of the Year?

Do any of your clubs have an award for 'Member of the Year'? If so, what's the criteria they have to meet, how are they selected, and what do they receive? Does this entice greater member participation in field maintenance days, does it increase meeting participation, etc.?
Old 12-12-2015, 09:45 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just thought it would be fun to restart the very first thread. Its been 15 years!
Old 12-12-2015, 10:02 AM
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nathan
Do any of your clubs have an award for 'Member of the Year'? If so, what's the criteria they have to meet, how are they selected, and what do they receive? Does this entice greater member participation in field maintenance days, does it increase meeting participation, etc.?
We do. We have an award named after one of the founding members of our club who passed a way a long time ago (although his daughter continues on as our Treasurer). The elected board gets together and decides once a year. We look for someone who has gone above and beyond just showing up at meetings or events. Someone who is helpful, has a positive attitude, and is promoting our hobby, and our club. Someone who we catch doing random acts of kindness, without knowing he has been watched. This year it was actually a couple. The member's girlfriend is almost always with him, but she does not fly. They cook at most every event, and this year when he was in the hospital with COPD issues, she showed up to help cook, shocking us all. They get a plaque, and then we get them something like a kit, arf, or gift certificate, less than $100.00 in value. In addition to the award winner, we get all the other folks that do good things for the hobby/club little things like a battery bag, glow fuel, glue, things like that. Most would be happy with a "thank you", but it doesn't hurt to sweeten the pot. We normally exclude board members as it's our feeling they are elected to do more than the average member.

I don't know that the award is an enticement, I find food is the best enticement to enlist help. If we have a field day or need help with a project, I'll usually buy lunch or dinner...that gets double the amount of people that normally show up.