Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

"Cheating" with a Helicopter

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

"Cheating" with a Helicopter

Old 09-23-2004, 08:17 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Cheating" with a Helicopter

The other day I am in my LHS fooling around on Real Flight with a helicopter. I wasn't doing to bad. The owner whom I've known for years walks by and says, "you interested in helicopters,"
Oh no not now but we both saw dollar signs, His were positive and mine were negative
Old 09-23-2004, 10:18 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: "Cheating" with a Helicopter

and then....
Old 09-23-2004, 10:24 PM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont get it, am i missing somthing?[sm=frown.gif]
Old 09-24-2004, 05:53 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

I think B.B.s' comment and observation in the "Flying High" post applies here.
[sm=confused.gif] [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 09-24-2004, 07:24 AM
Cyclic Hardover

No, but apparetly I am according to the heli guys

ORIGINAL: Dago Red

i dont get it, am i missing somthing?[sm=frown.gif]
Old 09-24-2004, 10:05 AM
FLYBOY

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

turn your oxygen up dude!
Old 09-24-2004, 10:23 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Beware of guys who fly helis only. Most look upon fixed-wing models (known by the derisive term "plank") as a lesser form of r/c, etc. Of course, these same guys are adrenaline junkies and aren't happy unless they're "on the edge" (whatever that means) all the time. A relaxing flight with a good sport airplane would not impress them.

They know not what they are missing. They're peasants- we'll let 'em live...

Being dual-rated is cool. Helicopters are a real challenge, but not near as much nowadays as they used to be. An accomplished r/c'er with a bit of patience can pick it up fairly quickly. I've been doing them since 1992 (airplanes since 1986), and I find myself bringing one to the field less and less. Unless you're a high-energy type who gets off on pushing himself to the limit with radical 3D, once you become a proficient heli pilot your repertoire is the limiting factor. IOW, once you get over actually being able to keep the beast in the air, in one piece, the thrill is gone.

Make no mistake, they are never boring. But unless you fly with a small group of amenable guys, they really don't mix well with airplanes. I'm just getting into relaxing more these days, and you can never really relax while flying a helicopter.

Having said all of that, they are a hoot. If you've got the time and the funds, by all means give it a shot. For sure, it will improve your airplane flying.

Just be leery of the exuberant types who flatly tell you not to waste your time with a 30 machine, that you should get a 50, etc. They mean well, but have forgotten what a slippery slope learning these things is. Go with a proven plastic 30.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:54 AM
FLYBOY

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

Unless you're a high-energy type who gets off on pushing himself to the limit with radical 3D, once you become a proficient heli pilot your repertoire is the limiting factor. IOW, once you get over actually being able to keep the beast in the air, in one piece, the thrill is gone.
Hate to dissagree with you there, but I have just as much fun flying the heli around the boat doing slow touch and goes as I do with the cub. About 50% of my heli flying is slow forward flight just putterring around like I would any of my slower planks as you call them. I have been flying helis since the early 80s, and fixed wing since the late 70s. Both are still a lot of fun. I tend to fly helis more than fixed wings, but next year I might fly fixed wing more than helis. You never know which you will be more interested in.

Either way, both are a ton of fun.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:42 AM
Cyclic Hardover

See , now this guy "gets it."

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

Beware of guys who fly helis only. Most look upon fixed-wing models (known by the derisive term "plank") as a lesser form of r/c, etc. Of course, these same guys are adrenaline junkies and aren't happy unless they're "on the edge" (whatever that means) all the time. A relaxing flight with a good sport airplane would not impress them.

They know not what they are missing. They're peasants- we'll let 'em live...

Being dual-rated is cool. Helicopters are a real challenge, but not near as much nowadays as they used to be. An accomplished r/c'er with a bit of patience can pick it up fairly quickly. I've been doing them since 1992 (airplanes since 1986), and I find myself bringing one to the field less and less. Unless you're a high-energy type who gets off on pushing himself to the limit with radical 3D, once you become a proficient heli pilot your repertoire is the limiting factor. IOW, once you get over actually being able to keep the beast in the air, in one piece, the thrill is gone.

Make no mistake, they are never boring. But unless you fly with a small group of amenable guys, they really don't mix well with airplanes. I'm just getting into relaxing more these days, and you can never really relax while flying a helicopter.

Having said all of that, they are a hoot. If you've got the time and the funds, by all means give it a shot. For sure, it will improve your airplane flying.

Just be leery of the exuberant types who flatly tell you not to waste your time with a 30 machine, that you should get a 50, etc. They mean well, but have forgotten what a slippery slope learning these things is. Go with a proven plastic 30.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:07 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

I hear you, Flyboy. I wasn't trying to discourage him. I just wanted to inject some reality.

Actually, since I began flying the EVO, my interest has perked up a bit. It was flagging badly there for a while.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:26 AM
Cyclic Hardover

After flying the real thing for many years in the military, I see it coming eventually. I have seen enough package deals locally to pick up at a good deal when the time comes. There are guys just wanting to unload one and they have been at a good price and good enough for training on. Thing is my second one will be that of some form of scale fuselage.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:07 PM
EC120

I find helicopters to be very relaxing. Sure not at first. But after a few years you start to need the sound of those blades hitting the air. It takes a good amount of concentration so other life worries just fade away while your flying. The mindset that steve is talking about can be seen in other RC disiplines as well. Its just that paticular mindset tends to be the loudest and most obnoxious on the internet. You can fly sport, scale, 3D, FAI, or just hover and fully enjoy the hobby.