Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

setteling?

Old 12-08-2001, 04:10 AM
nun45
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default setteling?

well, is it my imagination or is the dust finally settleing over this site? i personally think a new site starting in controversy is going to do real good. i'm not the kind of guy that gets wrapped up in politics or anything but if someone bunches my undies, retaliation is eminant! all it is gonna take is a few good folk and this place will find it's niche as the others have. i am not territorial so i will be popping in a lot daily and lurking, as i most times don't have much to say. keep up the good work marc and don't let em beatcha down!---henry
Old 12-08-2001, 09:39 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default setteling?

Henry,

Thanks for the positive comments. I know you must have seen some of the off base reactions at some other site but after studying 4 years of psychology and knowing people very well it is all predictable. In one week we have achieved a registered user base of another well known site who has been at it for 5 months now. I know if I keep the site fast and support the users that it will continue to grow and be a great place.

It's amazing how political some people do get though and competitive for a hobby that is supposed to be fun. My guess is that their sites are bringing in some kind of income or supplemental income which they fear losing.

I will parallel this to Microsoft's browser giveaway stunt. Netscape owned the browser market and charged for it. Then Microsoft made a reasonably comparable product but gave it away for free and won 85% of the market with that strategy. Now you have RCUniverse which is a non commercial site thus no bias that gives away it's services with a better value proposition. A faster site. A site with more features. Less politics. Inevitably the masses beat a path to your door and the other sites react (much as they have begun to). They fear losing something. I fear nothing because I have nothing to lose as this is not an income source. And if those guys are telling you that they run the sites with those ads and don't make money ask to see their books. I'm sure those banners are covering more than their costs.

This is just phase one. Technically still in beta. I have lots of enhancements to make and now that a few people have decided to ruffle my feathers a bit I may just kick my marketing up a notch or two :-)
Old 12-08-2001, 11:01 PM
nun45
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Default reactions

as a forum host at flightlines i can tell you that the ones with the bunched undies really have no more to do with that site than i ! mike 1 is basically the #1 man there only under the owner. and i will tell you that you will not find two finer men ! the ones that are pissing the most stand to loose nothing and that bothers me as well as the fact that if it keeps up they will drive me and i am sure a few others away! i am really having a hard time dealing with all this ruckus over nothing. and i am not believing these same people are in an extremely responsible position where thier rants reflect the rest of us! and lastly i ain't believing that these are people i thought i knew and could trust. it all shakes my trust in a site that i love and have been a member of for some time. i feel an apoligy is in order, but i can see that NOT happening. a little advice would be do not dignify them with any more responses and it will all die !---henry
Old 12-09-2001, 05:10 AM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Default setteling?

Don't forget Marc was actually invited by G.F. Reid to post about RCUniverse on RCWatch.

So what are they complaining about?
Old 12-09-2001, 06:02 AM
Onepoint

Default setteling?

I have been striving to keep my mouth shut and I will probably regret this as soon as I hit reply.

The complaining by admins was about emails being harvested from Flightlines, period. Personally I won't say much about that. Almost every website, including Flightlines, has used users emails from other boards, to spam basically, at least unoficially.

First, the RC Watch admins are allowed to have opinions just like everyone else. Anyone who has been over there for any length of time knows you can pretty much say what you want within reason. That was always one thing we all agreed on was Flightlines was to remain an open forum.

Second, none of us over there are professional web anythings, we are just modelers who felt a long time ago that there needed to be another place besides RCO with the no link policy, etc.

To be honest, I saw no particular need for a new forum, but judging from the activity and response I was evidentally wrong.
That in no way condems Marc for making this, heck he's done a great job.

No one at Flightlines is in a position to make a dime from it, except David, and I don't see how he makes anything from it.

Flightlines will be what it is. Marc says he has plans for RCU. I hold no ill will over something new, and really just wish us all good luck.
Old 12-11-2001, 11:11 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Forums

I am a regular at all of the sites on most every day, as well as being a forum moderator at this site as well as one other. One of the things that is most interesting is that if there is a beef about one of the sites, it can usually be attributed to the same cluster of people. I really do believe that these people get up in the mourning with a who can I piss off today attitude working and away we go. It is my beleif that if a person does not like one site or the other, then why bother going to that site and stirring up the poop on another site. It is baffling to me. As we are all aware, RCO has had it's problems, but there are those that just cannot let it go. I sent money towards the cause way back when, but I am almost certain that grumbling about it on all the other sites is not going to get my money back, yet there are those who cannot and will not let it go. All of the sites have had or will have problems. This is a fact of life, and while sometimes we have to go through withdrawal if our favorite site is down for a while, it all comes out in the wash. It is my belief that in todays climate these sites are for our enjoyment of the hobby as well as an information source to enhance the hobby. I have made many wonderful friends in the past few years, all within the community of modeling as a direct result of the various sites. I hope to continue in this endeavor. I can say that the posts that are slamming another site, I do not open any more. They all say the same thing and are designed to do one thing and only one thing. Stir the pot. And what benifit comes from it? I have not seen any changes lately. Just let the old dogs lie and get on with life and modeling. Just my 2 cents worth, and Thanks Dave
Old 12-12-2001, 06:25 AM
Onepoint

Default setteling?

Well I disagree a little bit. What changes have been made? Well there's a new site we are posting on for one.

But thats the neat thing about all this, you don't have to read anything at all, it takes a conscious effort to open a topic.

I would also dissagree some on who does the complaining. I see people complaining about 1 site, who staunchly defend another. From every direction.

But I agree, all the noise doesn't effect you if you aren't listening.
Old 12-13-2001, 02:15 PM
Steve Campbell2

Default setteling?

Buckaroo,

I hear you, and mainly agree; but consider this. Before it self-destructed, RCO was THE place for INFORMATION. If you needed to know something r/c related, RCO was the place to find the answer.

Now, I do both helis and planes. Rotory.com appeared about the time RCO entered the flat spin, and recently RunRyder has gathered a large head of steam. So I have two excellent sites for heli stuff.

But I still don't have a place for plank info. Let's be very frank here; with the exception of the scale helo forum (and, I hear, the control line forum), FlightLines is just a big BS session. Sometimes you can get an answer to an obscure r/c question- sometimes not. The Model Airplane and ARF forums have gotten better recently, but you don't have the same quantity of serious modelers there that you did on the old RCO. Well, they may be there- but they aren't posting.

Having said that, I also think far too much noise is being made over there about the e-mail thing. Marc didn't get me because my e-mail is not available to be spammed. It is simply a matter of deleting that when you register. Yes, it is inconvenient if someone wants to privately contact you. So ring their bell and ask for an address or phone number.

Until he proves otherwise, I'm taking Marc at hs word; that he started this site for himself as much as anybody. I do like the features and speed, and while the registration process was a bit cumbersome, you had a CHOICE. The new RCO demanded that I provide all sorts of personal info prior to signing up. Nope; so RCO can kiss me where the sun don't shine. RCU asked for it; but allowed me to say no.

RC Showroom is about dead, and ******** (is that right?) looks to be in need of jumper cables. I hope this place flourishes and becomes the rich vein of plank info I'm looking for, in one location. I like FlightLines, but only go there when I'm feeling politically belligerent...<G> and the fact that I harvest a nugget of useful r/c info every now and then keeps me going back.

This place has definite potential; I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Steve
Old 12-13-2001, 06:40 PM
Onepoint

Default setteling?

Interesting, because the users have made it what it is. As they do with most Forums. RCO got the notion of controlling content, which IMO was one of the main reasons other places grew.

I think the days of one place to stop for everything is over, competition and choice is whats makes the internet such a popular thing.

I think your wrong to some extent. How many questions are not getting answered at flightlines? What info is not available there. A lot of the people at all the other sites are there too. If everyone felt it was only a BS station, there would only be 1 forum.

As far as what the future brings who knows, all forums have promise when they start so we will see what happens. I do know that the more people you have in one place the signal to noise ratio goes up exponentially.
Old 12-13-2001, 07:15 PM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Default setteling?

Well Eric and Steve you both have addressed the issue very well. I got an e-mail and it sure didn't knot my shorts up as bad as it did some other folks. I don't like getting unwanted e-mail but since this had to do with R/C I thought I would take a look and see what it was all about. Now all the flaming that it has received at FL's has me a bit confused and I think it's because some feel that Marc stepped on some toes, but I sure didn't see it that way. When I was a Forum Host and Administrator at RCO I did protect it from people who came in and flamed it and they couldn't understand why I stayed there as long as did, now the same people who questioned my actions are doing the same thing at FL's. I'm getting to old to let things get my shorts tied in a knot and just let the small things pass by as I have better things to do with my life. I will continue to go to the other sites but I owe no alligence to any one forum anymore.
Old 12-13-2001, 08:05 PM
Steve Campbell2

Default setteling?

I really don't know how to describe it, Eric; but it is a qualitative thing.

For instance: a while back, I was interested in the SIG Ultimate Fun-Fly bipe. The few answers my post received were mostly "I heard" or "I was told" or "I haven't flown mine yet, but...".

Now, there's nothing wrong with those kinds of replies. I do them myself occasionally. But only one guy (that I recall) posted about his actual experience building and flying the model. On RCO, I would had a half-dozen or more solid "I did this" or "watch out for that" replies.

Like I said, things there seem to be getting better. And this may appear to be pointless whining to you. At any rate, it is something I have noticed.

Steve
Old 12-14-2001, 03:41 AM
Onepoint

Default setteling?

I remember days not that long ago when flightlines would get just a few posts in the popular forums is all. So no site is dead until you can't get in it anymore.

You have a good point about that Steve, and I'm as guilty as anyone about it. But I remember RCO in its peak you would get several answers, some of them completely opposite and come to find out later in different threads, some who gave "first hand experience" never had the plane in their life.

I see more and better answers to questions as time goes on, and that only comes from people asking and answering them. Personally, when I have a question I hit most of the forums and search it, and then google for the newsgroup, and if I am still stumped, I will break down and ask someone

Really I don't want anyone to be blindly loyal to a website, its just silly. Thats what starts the spamming and flaming in the ongoing site wars. I would just as soon people visit, read and make up their own mind........as long as its what I want
Old 12-14-2001, 06:31 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Default setteling?

Originally posted by WreckRman2

********.NET wasn't created to be the next RCO or Flightlines so thousands of users isn't our highest priority.
Its a great site. keep up the good work David.
Old 12-14-2001, 07:54 PM
mvigod
Banned

Default setteling?

I just read through this thread and wanted to congratulate everyone for keeping such a nice even keeled tone here. This is the way discussions and opinions should be conducted. I'm glad I set these forums up so things like this can take place.

I do agree that if there needs to be one place as a major go to resource that will be extraordinarily usefull to all the rc fanatics out there. I don't think as I have always said that one site would exist and make the others totally obsolete. They will exist to cater to narrow niches in more details. I can see RCU becoming the dominant trading board and discussion board in the coming year. The reason is simple. First, I believe that the need for such a thing does exist and represents a better value proposition to users. Second, I am dedicated to providing the best meeting place where all these transactions and discussions can take place.

Last is because I really enjoy what I do. I love to fly rc. Love to program and build sites. Love to deal with the type of people that are in this hobby as they are some of the nicest people I have ever ran into. To me it's a pretty good gig and I'm fortunate to have it.
Old 12-15-2001, 01:26 AM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default Site 1-2-3-4

Steve and most of the others seem to have a handle on this situation.
One has to remember, We are working with people.....Hundreds of people!
Each person has a different song to dance to.
When all these personalities are grouped into a space with only a computer to look at, and talk back to ....Well, this makes things interesting. Some people will reply when they would not say a word in person!
You can "alamode" that with we are RC pilots....(Now who has ever known us to be opinionated)?
I have my preferences as to what site I like, but that really doesn't matter, nor does it matter what site anyone deems
(The Site). The major thing moderators, administrators, hosts etc. have to remember.....You are monitoring many people.....Because you do not like what someone says...TOO Bad...You have to have the integrity of a judge on the bench. You have to be fair. I do not believe for one second that the Admins do not want their site to grow. Of course they want it to grow!...Its their baby...Just like a child that has been created.
Marc seems to be fair, and sincere in his forsight for this site. I support this site, and I like some of the others.
Good luck to all,
Old 12-19-2001, 03:08 AM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Default setteling?

I used to go to RCO several times a day. Not just to check out the stuff I was familiar with but the stuff I knew nothing about. I was THE place for the jet guys and I loved to lurk there and soak up as much as I could. As far as I am concerned RCO is dead, and judging by the number of posts here this place is catching fire. I hope that the "for sale" areas really grap hold because I love to check that out several times a day as do a lot of people. RCS and RC Watch are good but I want this place to be "it".

Bob
Old 12-19-2001, 06:37 AM
mvigod
Banned

Default setteling?

Sideshow,

My sentiments exactly. We will be taking an ad out in a few mags this week which will appear in roughly 60 days give or take a bit. Will be geared toward buying and selling. Should start to accelerate the swapping.

Another way to "put the word out" is if some of you loyal RCU site users here that do happen to buy stuff off of other sites and happen to ask questions about the ads (email pics?, how much is shipping?, technical question?, etc...) you could use a "signature" at the end of your post with a little "hint" so people can learn about this site.

Something simple even like...

Your question here....

Your name
RC Universe - Post your RC stuff for sale with pics for free!
http://www.rcuniverse.com

Just one idea. Use whatever you think will get the word out (legal, tastefully, and ethically of course!). You can of course make it whatever is appropriate. Once we pass the "critical mass" in the swaps the momentum will take hold quite fast as I'm confident we can provide a superior trading platform for users with the extensive features here. In the end this will help ALL users here...both the ones that have made their way and those that will.
Old 12-20-2001, 05:58 AM
Ed

Default You done good Marc

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RCadmin
[B]I just read through this thread and wanted to congratulate everyone for keeping such a nice even keeled tone here. This is the way discussions and opinions should be conducted. I'm glad I set these forums up so things like this can take place.

Marc: It is you who are to be congratulated. You have provided R/C with a site that has speed, features, and civility.

Jim Lynch - Moderator
Old 12-20-2001, 06:32 AM
mvigod
Banned

Default setteling?

Jim,

Thanks and I had to comment that I love that gif image! Cool
Old 12-21-2001, 01:54 AM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default GBZ

Jim,
My best flying Bud is building a 60 size GBz,
He is a so-so pilot...could you give me something to print as to the manners of this airplane?
It would be appreciated...He is so hard-headed he will not listen to me...I told him IT IS NOT A TRAINER!..
Thanks
5X5
Old 12-21-2001, 03:28 AM
Ed

Default Re: GBZ

Originally posted by FIVESQUARE
Jim,
My best flying Bud is building a 60 size GBz,
He is a so-so pilot...could you give me something to print as to the manners of this airplane?
It would be appreciated...He is so hard-headed he will not listen to me...I told him IT IS NOT A TRAINER!..
Thanks
5X5
Boy, ya got that right ! The problem with the Z, R-1, and R-2, is that they are not only very short coupled, but they lack good rudder area for good ground control. They are truly an Eagle in the air, and a Bear on the ground. Add to this the fact that most have rigid, wing mounted landing gear, and you got your hands full during rollout. It is rollout during takeoff and landing that's the problem, even with the full scale versions.

Make sure that your friend has good experience with a hot tail dragger first. Good luck, and Merry Christmas to both of you.

Jim
Old 12-21-2001, 03:37 AM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default Appreciate your input

Thanks Jim,
I think this will take some of the "Cock" out of cock-e-ness....
Regards,
5X5
Old 12-24-2001, 09:28 PM
Tom Gillespie

Default Thanks Marc

I dont know about any other site, but I can say this much for this one...Trying to set up my chopper for the first time by myself...I came across this site and have had terrific advice every time i have posted...met some great folks already too...have never seen a place so full of helpfull, good folks...cant begin to express what an invaluable tool this site is for me..an as long as I dont burn anyone out with all my questions..I will continue to cruise around here askin em...

No...Tom's not here...he's out mesin with that whirly bird again.......
Old 12-24-2001, 09:44 PM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default way to go Tom

Great people here, you will find these guys always ready to help...
All ya have to do is ask....
Fivesquare