Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

How to land crosswind

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 06:41 PM
bpu699
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to land crosswind

Ive been flying for 15+ years, but I'm new to landing crosswind. Usually the field is large enough to land into the wind.

Lately Ive been flying from a smaller, tighter runway. And unfortunately, the wind is usually 90 degrees to the runway. Whats the best way to land?

1) Fly straight, give it a touch of rudder to straighten just before landing?

2) Keep it straight the entire time using rudder.

I tried #1 in a 15mph wind and it stalled, landing gear went "bye-bye." This is a 1/4 scale 15 lb plane, a sig extra xs. Any other techniques???
Old 08-07-2002, 06:58 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The standard way to do it is the same way full scalers do it.

Let's say you're landing left to right, with the wind in your face.

Tip your up-wind (left) wingtip down and add a little right rudder. You are essentially side slipping the plane, but due to the cross wind, it goes straight.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:17 PM
tmproff
My Feedback: (5)

I used to fly on a road that was always perpendicular to the wind, thus I got plenty of practice doing crosswind landings (almost every one). What I found that worked, was to fly directly into the wind until you get close to the runway, then line up with the runway dipping the wing into the wind a tad, and working the rudder. I have tried it dozens of ways......the longer you keep the plane in the air crabbing, the more of a chance for something to happen.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:38 PM
rcricky

The airplane should be cocked into the wind while on approach. Don't be worried about what it looks like while on approach until the wheels are about to hit. If you try to keep it straight while on approach with rudder or whatever, you can't compensate for the moving air, and you're not going to line up with the runway.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:50 PM
arfnaround

agree with above, but careful with the slip, as all planes behave differently (some planes 'slip' like a rock). Practice high approaches to get this down pat before you try 5 feet of the runway

our field almost is always windy, and I tend to just aim slightly into the wind and it compensates automatically. It looks like a slip my plane will be level, but fuse at a 45degree, and still flying in a straight line. Also, if wind is 50k + I come full bore straight into wind and then just before touch down adjust to line up w/runway.
Old 08-07-2002, 09:12 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good point Arfin'

Practice the slip at altitude first!