Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What's Giant Scale?

Old 12-13-2001, 02:11 AM
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What's Giant Scale?

Big argument around here...what is your definition of a 'Giant Scale' airplane?

Take the poll and let me win a bet

Jerry
Old 12-13-2001, 02:29 AM
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

My vote goes to the IMAA, because of what I read at the IMAA website.

"What is Large or Giant Scale?

The concept of large or giant scale is generally considered to apply to radio controlled model aircraft with minimum wingspans of eighty (80) inches for monoplanes and sixty (60) inches for multi-wing aircraft. Ducted Fan aircraft with one hundred forty (140) inches combined length and width, measured from wing tip to wing tip at the widest point perpendicular to the fuselage and added to the length of the fuselage, excluding any protrusions. Quarter (1/4) scale replica's or larger with proper documentation (minimum 3 view drawing of an actual person carrying aircraft) which do not fit the size requirements will be permitted. However, the concept does not encompass radio controlled model aircraft so large as to have the potential of carrying a human being.

Sounds good to me
Old 12-13-2001, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Scale?

As Plane Insane posted, not all models that are IMAA legal for giant scale are giant models. For instance, I built a 1/4 scale model of Burt Rutans' Quickee which had a wingspan of only 48". Though it qualified for IMAA giant scale status, it was smaller than most 40 size trainers, and was powered with an OS 48 Surpass. On the other hand, there are many LARGE aircraft that can be modeled in a smaller scale (1/6, 1/8, even 1/10) that will be large enough to qualify under the IMAA size requirements.
Old 12-14-2001, 01:55 PM
My Feedback: (16)

Jerry,
I think "IMAA Legal" will be about as good as it gets since the term "Giant Scale" really doesn't have any connotation outside of the IMAA's rules.
1/4+ the size of a scale plane, 80" ws (60" for multi wing) for non-scale or to "qualify" (my term). I say qualify because 60" may not be 1/4 scale for some huge winged bipe but will still make the plane IMAA legal. Engine size (or even total displacement for multis) really can't figure into it. I could build an 80" replica of one of Rutan's ships which I am certain wouldn't be 1/4 scale and make it light enough to power with a .40.....

I think the IMAA has done a good job in it's defninition of "Giant Scale"
Old 12-14-2001, 03:28 PM
RGM
My Feedback: (5)

Default Giant Scale

I'm with the IMAA.
Old 12-14-2001, 03:31 PM
My Feedback: (117)

Default Win the bet??

What is my cut?? ---Brian
Old 12-14-2001, 11:54 PM
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default BEER!

Brian,

Your 'cut' is that I get to serve you one cool one - from your refrig of course :-)

Jerry