Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Anybody used Military Flat Monokote?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Anybody used Military Flat Monokote?

Old 01-22-2005, 09:59 AM
scottrc

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anybody used Military Flat Monokote?

About a year ago, I covered a Corsair with the new "Military" Flat Insignia Blue by Monokote. I prepped, cleaned and Balsarited the surface per Top Flight directions and the covering went on smooth as glass. I really liked the finish and was pleased with this product. However, after a year of summer heat and now artic cold, the covering has developed these little, spider vein, wrinkles that will not iron out. There are thousand of these developing and the plane is begining to look like my grandmothers face.

I talked to Top Flight and they said that its possible that moisture is developing in the grain of the wood, that I should pull off the covering, re-seal it, and reapply new covering (heh, thats what I get these days for calling customer service and talking to a salesman). However, I thought that using the Balsarite would have sealed it.

Since this is a new type of covering, I'm thinking it's not as flexible as the gloss Monokote and has developed a "memory" in the surface of the material as it expands / retracts to the elements.

Any ideas or problems / solutions?

Scott
Old 01-22-2005, 10:09 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Anybody used Military Flat Monokote?

scottrc,
I haven't used the military flat monokote, but I had the exact same thing happen with the pearl colors. I talked with the owner at my LHS and he said that it was something he sees all the time with "specialty" colors of monokote.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:50 PM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I have used Flat camo,dove gray, insigina blue. I have not seen this problim YET. My planes also go from the summer heat to the winter cold being stored in a garage. Maybe you had a bad batch? Also the dove gray takes ALOT of heat to shrink but other then that it has worked ok for me.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:21 PM
PropFlipper
My Feedback: (227)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used the Monokote flats and found they require MUCH more heat than the regular stuff. I kept the gun moving but had to get it very close to the work. Seemed like I was right on the edge of disaster. As for the spider wrinkles I have not experienced that yet. If you are going to rip it off anyway I would first try heating it up with a heat gun, not an iron. The heat gun will allow the surrounding area to lift exposing more area to the shrinking heat. You may find that even though they don't shrink out you can smooth them out with a rag, paper towel or hot mitt. The iron sometimes smashes the wrinkles causing the Monokote to stick to itself. If that happens you will never get it out.
I no longer use the flats. I use the regular stuff and spray it with flat clear. You will often have section lines, paint,decals etc to protect anyway.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:37 AM
scottrc

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The heat gun is working to a point, however, they come back but not as bad. The wrinkles match the grain of the wood, so it must be because its not getting good adhesion inside the grain? Anyway, another club member asked that I make sure to keep the covering pulled as tight as possible when heating, otherwise it will "remember" any creases or wrinkles. He said this characteristic is similar to what used to happen to the original polyester coverings many years ago.
All I know is that I pulled a few hand muscles trying to keep it tight. I've always been a "low temp" guy. And as was said, this flat Monokote seems to need the full heat from the iron and a light touch.
Thanks
Scott