Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

The most stupid things we do

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

The most stupid things we do

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 01:24 AM
RC_kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The most stupid things we do

What is the most stupid thing you have ever done(to do with RC).

I got a new Rx and did not unwrap the antenna[X(].lol and I still landed.

Feel free to post your experience.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:03 AM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: The most stupid things we do

First P-51 maiden. Hit the snap roll switch instead of the retracts. OOPS!![X(]
Old 03-10-2005, 02:19 AM
RC_kid

ROFL
Old 03-10-2005, 06:39 AM
ben flyn

Ironed monokote on and didn't take the backing off.
Just didn't know.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:46 AM
McFlyboy

I've put the bottom skin on my pattern ship, but none of the controls are installed, and the wing & tail aren't lined up
Old 03-10-2005, 08:21 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

CA'd my wedding ring to my finger[:@]
Old 03-10-2005, 08:33 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd love to tell you about MY latest goof, but right now my head is glued to the desk, and it's hard to type like this.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:07 AM
ben flyn

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I'd love to tell you about MY latest goof, but right now my head is glued to the desk, and it's hard to type like this.
LOL!!!

I wonder if anyone has glued thier wings upside down?
Minn........ don't bother to reply YOUR TOO BUSY!!!!
Old 03-10-2005, 10:12 AM
3D Nut
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

LOL[:@]
Old 03-10-2005, 10:20 AM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

How about fiddling with the needle valve on a cranky engine, and once you get it running for some odd reason you think you can reach through the prop arc to disconnect the glo plug [X(] Meat and blood went a flyin that day.................Made a sickening sound as that APC prop chewed through skin and muscle right to the bone. [X(] I'm glad it was an APC because it kicked my finger right back out. I felt so stupid I didn't even bother going to the hospital. I just told the kids to go get Dad the papertowels and the duct tape..........[:@]
Old 03-10-2005, 11:05 AM
Lightfoot

The worst thing I have done is trying to extend my flying time without checking my receiver battery. On my final landing, I started to turn on final but the airplane didn't turn. It took me four (4) hours to find it.

A friend of mine took his pattern plane out for its maiden flight. He was getting it ready to practice for an upcoming competition. He connected the aileron and landing gear servos and mounted the wing. When he took off, he flipped the switch to raise the landing gear and the brand new ship rolled into the ground. You guessed it, he had crossed the aileron and retract connections.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

CA'd my wedding ring to my finger[:@]

Bet your wife loved that one

Pete
Old 03-10-2005, 12:03 PM
beardking

I have a few:

-Glued on a portion of my wing and realized that it wasn't in the right spot. Put debonder on it and decided to help it along with a nice fresh exacto. Now I have a nice NIKE swoosh looking scar on the inside of my thumb. (had my wife hold the towel over my thumb above my head while I finished).

-Built my wing, made the hatches for the aileron servos, promptly realized that I had the wing upside down. Now I have top and bottom hatches.

-while applying the decals to my foamy, I meticulously applied the decals to the wing and made sure all the bubbles were out. Went to put it on the plane, now I can tell that I fly an EXTRA 300 from the ground (you got it, upside down wing again).

Seems I have a problem with wings.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:13 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: randall1959

How about fiddling with the needle valve on a cranky engine, and once you get it running for some odd reason you think you can reach through the prop arc to disconnect the glo plug [X(] Meat and blood went a flyin that day.................Made a sickening sound as that APC prop chewed through skin and muscle right to the bone. [X(] I'm glad it was an APC because it kicked my finger right back out. I felt so stupid I didn't even bother going to the hospital. I just told the kids to go get Dad the papertowels and the duct tape..........[:@]

I did that too! Dumb thing to do, but I was young and impatient.

Friend built the left wing, then built the right wing upside down over the right plan for some reason so he ended up with 2 left wings. Pretty funny!!!!!

How bout plugging the fueler into the smoke line instead of the tank. The smoke line wasn't connected to anything and filled the wing with gas! Dumb!!!!!!![&o]
Old 03-10-2005, 12:25 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last night I skinned, filled and sanded my ailerons. They look really nice.
This morning, I realized that I didn't install control horn blocks.

Scott
Old 03-10-2005, 01:34 PM
glowplug

OK, this wasn't me, but I did witness it a few years ago.....this one is REALLY good......

A guy takes up his Robin Hood 99.....he has a drop box on it with an R/C skydiver. A friend of his is ready to pilot the skydiver once he drops it........The guy takes his plane up to about 500 feet, opens the box, and here comes the skydiver.......his friend is piloting the skydiver and it's making a beautiful decent. All of the sudden, somebody says to the pilot, "Where is your plane??" The pilot responds by saying "Oh S**T!!" and he starts scanning the sky frantically........the plane was nowhere to be found. It seems that once the pilot dropped the skydiver, he FORGOT that he was piloting the plane!!!
The plane never was found.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:48 PM
center of the universe

I was trained in a simulator and when I was flying for the first time I forgot I was actually there, I almost flew into myself because I was so used to the simulator

well as I said ALMOST flew into myself
Old 03-10-2005, 02:53 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

When I built my first profile I was inserting the wing into the fuselage and took forever making sure it was lined up dead on in the middle of the wing and that it was exactly the same distance from the wing to each elevator half. I measured a million times before applying the epoxy.

The next day after the epoxy has cured it hit me that I never looked to see how the wing lined up horizontally with the elevator. The left wing was a good bit lower than the right...DOOOOH!

There was nothing I could do about it at that point. So I finished the plane as is and it has been my favorite plane so far, despite the significant flaw.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:20 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My most recent - from night before last: I put some two sided foam tape on the bottom and side of a servo to attach it to the inside of a plane. I was zipping right along and attaching the tape to the servo then cutting it off the roll. When I tried to cut the tape off the bottom of the servo the scissors were not doing a good job, so I mumbled something under my breath and squeezed harder.

You guessed it. I cut the lead off flush with the side of the servo.[:@]

Eric
Old 03-10-2005, 06:39 PM
aimmaintenance

I did the monokote with the backing still on thing just like Ben flyn.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:52 PM
RC_kid

This is RC_Kid's dad. I cant't let him take credit for not umfurling the antenna. That was me who prepped the plane for him with a new receiver. So he was flying his Extra 300 with the coiled-up antenna and it started glitching all over. But he flew it in for a great landing and that's when we saw my goof.

Another thing I did was drill out a Master Airscrew prop to fit my engine. You ever notice that those props already have some hollow areas? Well, I should have checked the remaining wall thickness becuase the blade broke off while starting it and nearly cut off some parts of me that I hold near and dear!
Old 03-10-2005, 09:56 PM
McFlyboy

I also filled the entire tuned pipe on the old pattern plane with fuel after forgetting to disconnect the pressure pipe. Couldn't understand why there was fuel pouring out the back of my plane(first piped engine).
Old 03-11-2005, 12:02 AM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello; twice last year, new flyers came to the field with their LT 40's, where the landing gear pulled out on eth first landing because the blind nuts were installed underneath the fuselage instead of inside the fuselage. The only thing holding the blind nuts on was the covering. This happened twice it two weeks, so there must be a confusing page in the instructions.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:23 AM
DrFun

I balanced my Funtana 90 according to the manual and at the field removed the cowl to make adjustments and made the maiden flight without cowl, ofcourse it was really tail heavy

A hairy maiden landing.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:35 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Went to take a leak while building and yup glued my fingers to little Joe Joe as I had some CA on my fingers. Now try and explain why you need the debonder to the Wife!!!!![&o]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.