Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Swap Meet Help

Old 03-12-2005, 06:19 PM
Lucky Dog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap Meet Help

Our club's annual swap meet was today. It was a modest success. Not as good as last year, better than some before. Advertised via our e-mail list, newsletters, AMA, RCU. Advertised time 9:30 to 3:00, but It was pretty much done by noon. Weather not a factor (good, but not good enough to fly Gas prices (being what they are) probably didn't help.

I believe we have around 50 tables (max the room will hold). Sold most of them I think.

We serve food (dog, chips, pop).

Raffled off a computer radio.

Town pop is about 35,000. We are an hour away from Louisville, 40 min. from Indy, and about 1.5 hours from Cincinnati.

What does your club do to have a successful swap meet?

What do you think your club should do to improve it's swap meet?

We would appreciate your input.

Thanks!
--
Mike Bealmear
News Letter Editor
Johnson Co. R/C Flyers
[link=http://www.jcrcf.net]www.jcrcf.net[/link]
Old 03-13-2005, 01:01 PM
bobo_54501
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: Swap Meet Help

Strippers always bring them in !!! ..To me it sounds like you had your average swap meet at least in my parts . For the most part ones ive been to are over by noon .Some an hour after they started . To me it seems like theres 2 types of meets . Ones where guys really want to sell stuff . And those where guys put stuff on tables Ask 3 times what its worth and then sit around and BS a few hours and never sell a thing taking up space for guys who want to bring stuff in .
Old 03-13-2005, 03:39 PM
Lucky Dog

Thanks Bobo,
Hmmmm..... Strippers. That we haven't tried. I bet having one of them as "Raffle Wench" would sell a lot more raffle tickets too. NAAA! Better not.

There does seem to be a good bit of just "buy a table and BS rather than try and actually sell". Which is okay with me, unless we would run out of tables, which hasn't yet happened (although last year we sold every one, even pulled a couple from the food area, but didn't turn anyone away).

Part of the solution (I think) is needing a couple (or even one) bigger vendor or hobby shop with all kinds of batteries, servos, servo extensions, and smaller hobby shop type of stuff. I don't think we attract them because we're too small. Do any clubs cut them a deal to attract them?

We tried a static display last year too just to see if it might attract more people. Only had three entries, but we did have a bigger turn out than in years past (I doubt if it was a result of the static). I don't think not having the static display had any bearing on this year. To the best of my knowledge, no one mentioned it.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:55 PM
Taildragger
My Feedback: (204)

Hey Mike, Taildragger here. I think that question belongs in the same catagory as how to understand women. A complete mystery to most folks. I really enjoya ttending a good swap meet but they are few and far between around here. Our club tried 3 yrs in a row a few yrs back but didn't have much success. I made the trip down to Perry, Georgia last yr for southeast model show and swap meet and was not dissapointed. I believe there were 800 tables of bargains. I thrifty modelers dream land! I guess those guys could tell you how it's done. I, like you think the secret may be in getting a large enough place and invite as many vendors as will come. I'm sure scheduling will affect that greatly. Good Luck! hope to see you guys sometime soon. Bill
Old 03-13-2005, 07:52 PM
speedster 1919
My Feedback: (3)

Hi Mike I'm a member of your club and went to the swap meet. I've been to many in central Ind. now. Here's my .02 .Anderson had a large well attended meet. The closer you get to Indy the better turn out. Anderson was advertized much more. I read about it in the Star. The what to do on weekend section. You need to get a date and get it in rc forums and AMA earlier so people can plan. Charge $3 a table just like a door fee and even sell half tables for guys that want to sell a few items. I notice the guys that get there first carry off all the bargins while others are just pulling up. Just like car shows ,The guy that has all the money in the car has to pay entry while spectators are free. Give a way free tables ,if you have more stuff people will come.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:00 PM
speedster 1919

Also Mike ,Most tables are $10 so for every 3 more people you bring in at $3 you break even on table. If it was a little warmer ,park flyer demo's could be put on and advertize at local schools and the kids would bring their parents who might buy starter stuff.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Lucky Dog

Thanks for your input Bill (Taildragger) and Speedster 1919.

Speedster, I honestly don't think that the cheaper tables would make that much difference. We came close to selling out, this year I believe, and did sell out last year. To draw more people In my opinion, it's going to take some good vendors and a bigger venue, and that will cost the club more. If we reduced the the price by half even, we have to sell twice as many tables to make up for it. Would twice the tables bring twice the shoppers? Hard to say. [sm=confused.gif] I do like you analogy Bill.

I wonder, do other club actually pursue and invite vendors? I don't think that we do. We just count on them hearing about it. It's been a few years since we had a good sized vendor. It was Radical RC. Unfortunately, the weather was awful, and the turn out very poor. I'm sure he didn't do well that day,. I ran into to him a year or so later, and it was he that told me that the venue was to small, at least for him. Can't say that I blame him.

It does bug me (from the shopper's point of view) about all the deals that go down before it even opens. I know some clubs have tried to forbid sales before the opening bell, but I'm betting it doesn't work that well.

Who else has some ideas?
Old 03-15-2005, 07:28 AM
speedster 1919

Lucky I think you missed my point. Yes you might of sold all the tables,but some tables only had a few items on them. If more guys could share a table it might be full. I went to Hobby RC saturday after the Indy sidewinders swap meet and I over heard guys say They won't go next year because a lack of stuff. Every member might have a few items to sell. I think the big draw would come from free plug in newspaper in the things to do on the weekend section.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:36 AM
speedster 1919

I know people since I'm a traveling salesman. Some people wouldn't pay $10 to sell some stuff because they felt it wasn't worth jacking with. But give them a free spot they might bring some stuff. Maybe Hobby RC and say Hobbytown might set up and have some show specials if provided an area.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:04 AM
Lucky Dog

Speedster,
Were you talking about ours, or the Indy club's swap meet they would'nt be going to again?

I could see selling half tables. There have been times that I've shared tables with flying buddies, and I'm sure a lot of that does happen. An established "share a table" option is something to consider.

We did have a free plug in the Columbus and Franklin papers (in the weekend "what to do" ). Paying for some advertising might be an option (although not an inexpensive one, and hard to judge the return).

One thing that did occur to me (after the fact) is that there is a marquee on the sign for the fair grounds (by the north entrance). For less than an couple of ads in the paper, we could be up there the entire week before. There is a bunch of traffic on that road too. Hmmm....

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2005, 01:53 AM
bobo_54501

You guys sell tables for $10 ?? Every Swap meet ive been to up here in Wisconsin You pay $4 to get in the door . Once in the door the $4 gives you the right to place stuff on the tables if there is a spot open . Now when you think about it theres those guys that have to go to Church and cant escape the wife till close to 10 oclock . There is a certain group that just doesnt get up till 8 or 9 and wont be there till 10 . So at 8 you get a flurry of selling and swapping . Tables clear out except for the guys that ask to much and BS all day ..Then at 9:30 to 10:30 in comes the second wave with more deals to fill the tables .This way it keeps stuff coming and going off of the tables and new deals to be had . Then 11 or 12 the auctions start .Guys stick around for that to see if the High price guys will drop some and also looking for the BIG deals . 1 or 2 oclock they draw the raffle and give away awards for best plane or what not if you have a static display . To me I think this is great . A guy will NOT rent a $10 table if he has 2 engines or kits to sell .But if he pays his $4 sells his stuff quick he is off and shopping to spend the money he just made .Theres also guys who come in late just for the auction to sell stuff off .Ive done that just because I didnt want to be selling when I can be buying ..Buyings more fun .. People stick around longer ...More come ..Sell more food ..then maybe you draw in the venders .It works up here and we got Swap Meets drawing people and celebrating 20 something aniverserys . And if that doesnt work theres always like I said before ..... Strippers ...There always a crowd pleaser !!!! L.O.L...
Old 03-16-2005, 04:43 AM
Taildragger
My Feedback: (204)

I think the tables at Perry, Ga were 10$ each and they sold 800 of them. Some guys will pay it and some won't I guess.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:20 AM
Lucky Dog

Bobo,
Great ideas!

Our tables go for $8.00, and that includes one admission. It's on a Saturday, so no (or few) church conflicts. I'm sure there are "honey do" delays though.

We tried a static show last year. Only had three entries, and we decided not to do it this year. It's unclear whether it had any affect one way or another. Space was a consideration as well.

The auction sounds intriguing. How does that work? Do guys just offer up stuff that's not selling?

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2005, 08:40 PM
Bob Parker
My Feedback: (18)

Hi Mike,
My name is Bob and am the president of the Converse Flying Eagles. I think our swap meets for the last two years have been very successful, what I think helped was we served a hot breakfest consisting of biscuts and gravy and sausage and egg sandwiches. That really went over real well. Something you might consider.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:43 AM
bobo_54501

The Auctions ... Well some come toward the end of meet and others start theirs couple of hours after it opens . Some just run the whole thing at the end and the others will do them for like a 1/2 hour and then take a 1/2 hour break from them then hit her again . The guys seam to know thats where the good deals are sometimes . Ive seen guys sell sweet planes dirt cheap toward the end just so they dont have to lug them home or they need space and just want to get something for them . Others like me sometimes might bring a motor or kit or just something we dont need or use BUT dont want to sit at a table with just one or 2 things when we could be out moving around wheeling and dealing for what we need .So everybody knows things will pop up at auction that they dont see on the tables . It also brings reality to a few who think their stuff is worth more than it is . Something is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it . Ive also seen guys get MORE for stuff than they were asking for it in the first place . Sometimes guys will donate things to the club to be auctioned off with procedes going to the club . So to me its a Win Win thing .. Buyers get good deals .. Sellers move their stuff and its just plain old fun watching guys try to be auctionears who really arent ....L.O.L...So ya I think it would be a real asset to a sucessfull swap meet ..
Old 03-17-2005, 03:52 AM
bobo_54501

Oh Ya .. Why on saturdays ?? Sometimes guys get stuck doing the chores they needed to do all week on that day . If they get them done on Saturday The little woman will let them escape easier on sunday .Alot of weddings on Saturday to .Very few on Sunday ... Then around here there is kids sports things like POP Warner. High School basketball or wrestling to take the kids to . Some guys have to do saturday mornings at work to .Ever think of Sundays ??