Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Does the Hobby Cost to Much?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Does the Hobby Cost to Much?

Old 04-20-2020, 06:04 AM
bessiebeardsley

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, it's way too expensive
Old 05-09-2020, 06:04 AM
emanue1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I decided it was better to buy used parts, since I myself can fix a lot. But you have to buy something new. And it comes out pretty expensive.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:07 AM
jonesg2

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by r1morris View Post
I want to start a soap box here . I would like to see what you have to say about the cost of anything you think is out of line . Or suggestions on how we could all possibly save a buck or two. This may be a good time to vent a pet peeve or just pass on a good deal.

Seams like today you can buy throw away planes for less then building the same model. Is this good or are we losing out in some ways.

Does the new $500 radio make you a better flyeror just a better consumer.

I just thought I would toss out the first couple of questions. Lets year what you have to say

I'm getting back in after a 10 year break, spent $130 last night on 2 TX and 3 RX nicad battery packs. That caught my attention.

Old 05-11-2020, 02:32 AM
GT2rider

Originally Posted by rustyrivet View Post
Why would you go digging up a general conversation thread from 18 years ago, and start replying to it as if it was written yesterday? Do you know when somebody opens this thread and starts reading the page, they often don't realize they are reading posts from 2002. It's like being punked by a prankster. Start your own thread. People that participated in this thread 18 years ago can be dead by now for Christs sakes.
Whoa, chill out man
Old 05-11-2020, 02:46 AM
GT2rider

Originally Posted by FLYBOY View Post
anything worth doing is worth investing the time and money into. I have an old 442 car that costs a bunch to maintain, dirtbikes and streetbikes

Yes, but it is hard to lose money on oldsmobiles and motorcycles. RC cars dont hold value. You can buy a $500 car brand new in the morning, dump $500 parts into it, and it's only worth $200 by the time afternoon rolls around. I can flip mountain bikes, cars, trucks, computers, stereos for profit all day long... impossible with RC
Old 05-20-2020, 05:28 AM
cheapsub

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys, you still could walk in to a hobby shop, buy the most expensive, high tech radio system. Any plans that is instock.
in rc submarine hobby, you don't even want to walk in to a hobby shop. There is none we could buy, sine Polk's hobby close its door, gone with all the 75MHz radios. Something like 15 years ago.
picking off the Ewast that we could find in ebay.
make to order subs , equipment we need, all are piece of art, we pay as such. Even the boat guys think we are nuts, so we are let be.
pick the wrong hobby, in too deep, have to live with it.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:55 PM
halmal

Its all about the hobby and the amount of fun or frustration we would like to have.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:30 AM
BlackStar7

I've done this on the cheap for years. With the exception of a new radio or heli, it cost a lot less than drinking or smoking-lol. As a hobbiest, I get as much satisfaction building the "perfect" peanut scale or 2 channel glider as I do more involved and expensive projects. Not to bring up the arf thing again, but when building is enjoyable, you can make the cash last quite a few months. When I buy a kit, my goal is not to get it flying ASAP. Rather I see it as- for the next xx months, I have something to occupy my spare time and try and make better than the last one. Not bad for a $100 box of wood. I see the ones who do this as an "activity" as spending more money per hour of enjoyment.

I enjoy a few varied hobbies. It seems that in each one there are people who feel they can't enjoy it, or can't be competetive without going out and spending top dollar right away.

I know people with 15 guitars who can't play one complete song, people with a $20,000 Harley who ride 500 miles a year, a guy with a $3000 table saw who can't afford wood, and I've met people who buy a $700 radio and a $900 heli because "that looks like a neat hobby to try"
Old 06-04-2020, 03:08 AM
jonesg2

I have a fly rod, split cane, $650 30 yrs ago, its never seen water. go figga.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:27 AM
rgburrill

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Marriage costs too much. Children costs too much. Gas costs too much. Living costs too much. Health insurance cost too much. Government costs too much.
The following users liked this post:
bingo field (06-04-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 06:07 AM
jonesg2

Originally Posted by rgburrill View Post
Marriage costs too much. Children costs too much. Gas costs too much. Living costs too much. Health insurance cost too much. Government costs too much.
I have 9 prescription drugs for cancer and heart problems.
Staying alive is expensive, I'm waiting for a sale on caskets. Not from China, can't risk covid virus.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:59 PM
Lucifer656

Name me one hobby that can keep your attention for as long as this that isn't expensive. anything worth doing is worth investing the time and money into. I have an old 442 car that costs a bunch to maintain, dirtbikes and streetbikes that are expensive, the harley maint isn't cheap, golfing that is expensive. If you are going to play, you gotta pay. Geez, ever looked at the price of building a full scale? That hurts at times.

Like anything else, you gotta enjoy life. Cost is not really a factor if you are willing to work hard and make it work for you!