Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Does the Hobby Cost to Much?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Does the Hobby Cost to Much?

Old 09-25-2002, 02:36 AM
r1morris
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does the Hobby Cost to Much?

I want to start a soap box here . I would like to see what you have to say about the cost of anything you think is out of line . Or suggestions on how we could all possibly save a buck or two. This may be a good time to vent a pet peeve or just pass on a good deal.

Seams like today you can buy throw away planes for less then building the same model. Is this good or are we losing out in some ways.

Does the new $500 radio make you a better flyeror just a better consumer.

I just thought I would toss out the first couple of questions. Lets year what you have to say
Old 09-25-2002, 03:39 AM
TIGER2PLANE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In reply to your ???? Most trainers last a long time if you get a good one to start with., and if you buy the better radio then you will be a better flyer if for no other reason than to explain to the other half why you SPENT ALL THAT MONEY.
Old 09-25-2002, 03:51 AM
r1morris

Yeah good trainers do last I remember a few of mine.
Old 09-25-2002, 03:56 AM
1Jimbo
My Feedback: (2)

Lots of people just don't have much time to build = ARF's
My Enya .29 (bushed engine)cost me $45 in 1981
My plain four channel radio cost me $145 in 1981
22 years later I can get an equivalent or better Radio, plane and engine for about the same price.
Make of that what you will.
Old 09-25-2002, 04:06 AM
Flyfalcons

The best deals out there are used airplanes that people are looking to unload to finance the next project. Damaged airplanes represent great investments if you think you can repair them. I bought a DP Extra with all the gear for about 1/3 of its true value just because it had been involved in an incident. After a week in the shop I am having a blast with it.
Old 09-25-2002, 04:11 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

In answer to your first question...it's only expensive if your crashing, and otherwise loosing equipment. The planes will generally hold some kind of value if taken care of. I'm not saying they hold the same as new value, however, you CAN take a proven flyer, fly it for several months if not more, then turn around and sell it. If it's in good shape you'll get a fair price. So my opinion is it's a very reasonable priced hobby. For me it's been very affordable.

I've taken planes, built them, flown them, and sold them for every dollar I had in it. This can't happen all the time of course, but is a somewhat learned practice. Those that have done it, and will again know what I'm talking about. As for getting compensated for time...forget abouuut it. I don't try to go for profit on something that I've already used, I just want someone else to enjoy it, and get a fair price.

Compared to things like Golf(I've always wanted to indulge in the game), it's cheap. From what I understand, for one round of golf, you could easily by a brand new ARF plane in some cases. Or other hobbies/sports, how much do some of those cost? One trip to the ball park...better have a few hun on you for that. I'm not knocking other activities at all, just comparing is all.

I figured out my club dues...it costs me about $1.25 a weekend to fly, that's for a place to fly. In that there are so many benefits to being in the club, I'm way ahead with benefits of having a whole bunch of friends, very cool friends. Sorry so long,,I'll step down now..
Old 09-25-2002, 04:35 AM
smitymax

I have just registered for this forum so this is my first post.
In answer to your question: it depends on what you mean by "cost to much" I have been in the hobby for over 30 years and feel that generally what you get now is much better than what you got way back then and I don't feel that the cost is out of line with the general increase in cost of living. Like anything else you need to shop around because there is a significant variation in prices. Also it is a hobby that you can have a lot of fun spending a little or you can spend a whole bunch if you can afford it. But lets face it RC is not a cheap hobby, but there is something for everybody that has the desire and dedication to participate.

If you don't fly it, you won't break it!!
Old 09-25-2002, 05:20 AM
Hircflyer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As I explain to my wife (often)

It's cheaper than drinking.....and better for you.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hircflyer:
cheapsub (05-20-2020), RC_Fanatic (04-20-2020)
Old 09-25-2002, 07:21 AM
F900
My Feedback: (2)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Million $ Question .........

"Does the new $500 radio make you a better flyeror just a better consumer"

No, the only reason i bought the JR 8103PCM was simply because of the R/C jets required me the have a 8 channel radio, buying a better radio does not make you a better pilot. If you have a simple 4 channel radio or the flagship radio, they both have one thing in common, they require you to control the airplane during all phases of flight.

The way i look at it, this hobby does not cost any more than other hobbies, like Golf, skydiving, boating etc..... it can like any other hobby get more expensive if your careless. Most enjoyable and exciting hobbies cost money.

Then again its all how you define as "expensive" $500 or $5000, becuase in this hobby the skies the limit on how much you want to spend.

My first R/C plane (electric) cost me $100, i remember the enjoyment it bought to me that it actually flew, and that i could fly it without crashing it. A year later bought a jet, i had to buy a new servo, price ? $100 just for one servo.

For as long as i can remember i have always loved aviation, been around, flying airplanes, thats why it turned into a career for me been a pilot. If the R/C side of flying did not bring to me the enjoyment and trill of able to Remote control a jet, there is no way i would of paid $100 that day for a servo lost interest and found another hobby.

The way i look at it you can buy from Hanger 9 a nice RTF .40sized trainer/including radio, servos and engine all for around $309. Try and find an X-box or the new sony play station the buying games a $50 a game before you know it your at $500+

I could go on all day but to wrap it up this hobby would probably be one of the cheaper hobbies to get invovled in compared to other hobbies.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:52 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Soapbox / "$500 Radios"

OK, you asked for a soapbox so here it comes:

“Does the new $500 radio make you a better flyer or just a better consumer.”
This kind of an assertion always irks me. For the first ten years in R/C flying, I did not own such a radio as referenced above. I managed to accumulate, over that same period, 10 radios. All basic 4 or 6 channel models (what a pain in the arse to keep all those batteries charged on a regular basis). I could fly any R/C aircraft with any one of those radios! I could not imagine why anyone would want to spend two, three, or even four times as much for just one radio!

Yes, I agree with all those who say you do not NEED a $500 radio. I only use the “$500 radio” statement because that was the original assertion. There are some great full featured radios out there for significantly less than $500. (Futaba 9CAF - $379; Hitec Eclipse 7 – 274.99; just to name a couple) Noooooooooooo, you do not NEED this kind of radio to experience r/c flight.

Let’s look at this idea that we do not NEED something in order to accomplish what we want.

You do not NEED a car to get to work since a bicycle will get the job done.
You do not NEED an air conditioner in that car.
You do not NEED power steering in that car.
You do not NEED power brakes in that car.
You do not NEED a radio or stereo in that car

I think you begin to get the picture. There are a multitude of things that we have that we do not absolutely need in order to get the job done but why would we want to deny ourselves those things? So why do people still harp on that we do not need a “$500 radio”? We get your point!

I now own two of the “$500 radios” (actually a Futaba 8UAFS - $340 and a JR 10X - $1200). Here are the conveniences and features that I have learned to love and have no desire to deny myself:

1. Exponential rates that have smoothed out control surface response and made me appear to be a better pilot.
2. Multiple model memories. With the Futaba 8UAFS I have the ability to store/fly 16 R/C airplanes. Those 10 basic transmitters are covered in dust and cobwebs.
3. Digital trims with automatic trim memory. Ever had a disaster or near disaster where the trim levers were “bumped”? Digital trims eliminate that.
4. Adjustable Travel Volume. Beats having to take the plane apart to get at the servo to make small adjustments in servo throw every time! Virtually eliminates fiddling and futzing around with linkages.
5. Engine kill switch which gives the ability to stop the engine without touching the idle trim. Once the idle is set right, it never has to be disturbed again; very important when flying in competitions where you have to land with the engine still running for part of your points. NO, bumping the switch accidentally does not kill the engine!
6. The freedom to mix the output of any channel with any other channel. Allows such functions as flaperons or the ability to mechanically separate rudder from nosegear steering where each can be independently adjustable, again just from the transmitter.

I could go on and on about how nice these radios are but until you own one and begin to use these features, you will never know what you are missing. Do we NEED them? NO. But they sure do make the R/C experience more pleasurable and less tedious.
Old 09-25-2002, 01:26 PM
banktoturn

It doesn't seem that the equipment costs too much, judging from the number of people posting here who have 20 planes, 15 engines, and chuckle about mid-airs with their Whiplashes.

banktoturn
Old 09-25-2002, 01:29 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

Re: Does the Hobby Cost to Much?

NO!

Dan
Old 09-25-2002, 01:47 PM
DSJBEAN

Cost is relative. Do you enjoy the hobby? If so then I don't think it cost to much. I know I enjoy it.
Old 09-25-2002, 01:55 PM
PJC

Default A basic Motto

If it is worth doing, it costs money
Old 09-25-2002, 06:17 PM
ilikeplanes

The important issue for me is consumerism. I try very hard to minimize all sorts of needless consumerism from my life. For example, over 50% of my grocery bill is for store generic brands (beer excluded, of course). My R/C buying habits are minimalistic, but safe, too. With my reintroduction to the R/C hobby, it is quite obvious that it is mostly an industry of consumer products. The reason ARF's exist is because the manufacturer and seller can earn more profit. It goes along the concept of "super sized". Just sell them as much as you can until they get sick to their stomach. An we clever consumers go for it.

Oh well, at least we'll have nice garbage dumps to make R/C flying fields out of.

Rant mode off.
Old 09-25-2002, 06:31 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

I really spent a lot of money and time in this hobby, but really get a kick out of it. I have noticed that by investing (yeah let's call it that) all this money and time you care less about other things (like music, bars, going out) where you would have spent money. This means that you actually saved some bucks which was wisely invested in your hobby. Make sense ? No ? I know, but it is a good excuse

This makes sense though : Keep the wife happy and you can enjoy the heck out of your hobby. Works for me !
Old 09-25-2002, 07:26 PM
Ed_Moorman

Default Hobby Cost

My friends tell me it's a lot cheaper than golf, but then, they play a lot of courses. The same from the guy who autocrosses and the one who races dirt motorcycles.

As for radios, I use most of the functions of my JR 8103, but a lot of my RC buddies have computer radios and don't use them. I, personally, don't like flying my planes without exponential, flaperons and the rest.

Actually, radios are cheap. My first Kraft 4-channel in 1970 cost $419.95. You MBAs run that figure forward to the present. I'll bet it is more than the high dollar radios now.

This whole hobby has a vast spectrum of prices and interest areas from 2-channel sailplanes to 50% scale giant acro planes. There's enough for everyone and every budget.
The following users liked this post:
cheapsub (05-20-2020)
Old 09-26-2002, 01:19 AM
Roby

Interesting Question , I didn't read all the post but I throw
my nickel in the slot.

I've had this conversation before with people who have taken
nasty shots at my hobby. This was my response:

If I buy a new kit for 300 bucks then put another lets say
100 into it, (I already have electronics and engine)for a total
of 400. Divide the money by the number of hours of enjoyment
and you will discover that the overall cost is rather reasonable.
Also keep in mind that most of the time I'm home and not too
concerned about the weather(except weekends).I can enjoy
my hobby" every night of the week'. Rain , snow,wind ,darkness.
AND NEVER HAVE TO LEAVE THE HOUSE.(WIFE LIKES THAT)

I then asked my brother-in-law how his 20,000 dollar bass boat
works in the winter on "my" frozen runways and how many times can one polish the same lure before going crazy.

The expense of my hobby is never discussed anymore.....HUMMMM
I wonder why ?

I'm not bashing anyone else's hobby but consider this

Look at the "real"cost per hour .
Do you have to go somewhere else to enjoy yourself ?
(bowling,golf,fishing,etc)

I think model airplanes for the most part is a bargain because of
the" number "of hours a week I get to enjoy myself.

My nickle is up !

Regards
Roby
Old 09-26-2002, 01:52 AM
Low Wing

Default Youngster

Maaaannnnn...up against you feller's I'm no doubt the kid here...But with less than two years in this addiction I may have a few beat on hours in the air and money spent...at least within that time frame...But my point is, it does'nt take long to spend some serious cash in this hobby or to find out how much you could have saved, once you know what you really like...If you come in trying to keep/catch up with other's at the field(The Jones)well I don't know what to tell ya...We've got some of those at our field...But' if you want to fly...everyone out here will agree you can do that at a reasonable cost...But' let's be honest even on the low end you'll be spending a grand in the first year or on the other side of six hundred bucks real fast...I've spent over seven big one's and that's nothing compared to guy's out here on this web site...
Old 09-26-2002, 02:54 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

The hobby cost as much as you want it to. If you can get good used equipment you can be in the air for 200 bucks or so. If you are instructed properly that 200 bucks can last you two years or more. That equals out to somewhere around $0.30 a day. Not a bad price.
Now the hobby can be expensive if you spend $200 on a new radio, $200 on a new arf, $150 for the power plant, and think you can learn on your own.

Now does a $500 dollar radio make you a better flier? I don't know I paid $200 for my two Futaba 6 channels. Does it help? I'm sure it does if you can learn to program it. It can make alot of set-up and adjusting easier. All the coupling and what not you can do with them can make things look smoother. However I have flown with guys who have the best of everything, and they basically waste it.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:27 AM
Dave Bowles
My Feedback: (7)

Default costs

I am with CHassan , As with any hobby it is only as expensive as you want it to be. I know I can't afford to throw away $5000 on a 40% size bird so I don't even consider them an option, If you want an inexpensive form of flying and creativity try SPADS. Instead of putting all my eggs in one basket I spread them around so I have a verity of aircraft to fly.

DO programmable radios make you a better pilot, Absolutely NOT, but they can make you appear to be a more skilled pilot or help with troublesome tendencies that some can't handle. I am opposed to using some programmable mixing for Certain competition if the full size aircraft is not so equipped or it is a competition of pilot skills. Using programing for Knife Edge, countering engine torque, snap rolls , what have you takes the skill away form the pilot . And I believe some programming is needed to utilize an aircrafts full potential, Duel rates and Expo ,Of course for just flying for fun , who cares. Do you need programmable radios to have fun, NO. I would rather spend $300 or more for a programmable radio VS $1000 for separate transmitters for each of my aircraft .

I was browsing a Mid 80s mag. the other day and seen many prices for engines and radios considerably higher than the equivalent today, for example the O.S .46 SF was 129.99, the .46fx is available from the same place for 109.99. .
Old 09-26-2002, 01:12 PM
Low Wing

Default Be real

Ok' If your gonna get into this it's cause you want to right...Well' why do you want to...So you can buy someone else's crapp or some model that does'nt even catch your eye...Why even get into the hobby...I mean when you buy a shirt do you buy the one you like or the crappy cheap one...This Hobby take's cash...I waited years until I had the cash to get into it...Ok' then, I've got a CAP 9 Futaba transmitter, it cost $422 after taxes and came with a receiver, power pack and servo's...Maaaaaan, this radio has got all the cool stuff on board...Before that I had a 6XA Futaba that was $249 with the like accessories...I'll give you a great starter scenario... World Model ARF...T-34 Mentor 40-size $129.00 mail order though Airborne Models(on the web) great model...Motor OS-FX 40 will run around 129.00 or $149.00 plus tax(retail) You'll
need the guts, but you can get a deal like the one above (Fuitaba 6XA) $249.00...Now add that up...For now, find a friend at a local field who will let you use their starter stuff and get on a buddy box with you...Ok' it's that easy...You don't want someone else's junk...I trust nothing second hand in this Hobby...
Old 09-26-2002, 02:18 PM
Crashem

Is this Hobby too expensive????

$3.00 for two 4-40 bolts and nuts

$7.00 for 1 12" servo extension

$8.00 for 1 can monokote spray paint

$9.95 Sullivan Tail wheel bracket (5lb-10lb) Model (Tail wheel sold seperately

It's the little things that get [email protected]!
Old 09-26-2002, 02:25 PM
TomM

Default Re: Be real

I mean when you buy a shirt do you buy the one you like or the crappy cheap one...

I always get the cheap one cause within 2 weeks it'll be stained with epoxy and paint.
Old 09-26-2002, 02:48 PM
Dave Bowles
My Feedback: (7)

Default Perspective

I buy what serves my purpose, I fly cheap and I fly not so cheap, buy nice shirts for going out, but cheap ones for working around the house. People get into this hobby for the most part now days because they seen other people having fun and it looked cool, you don't need the greatest latest to get started, I have started out folks on plenty of second hand stuff , sometimes getting the whole outfit for around 100 bucks. Many people find they don't have the time or wern't as interested as they thought and sell almost new stuff at a fraction of the price.

What seems to be alot of money for one is a drop in the bucket for another, I use standard servos for almost all my models but I don't do Competition that require expensive servos , some would not spenmd less that 90 bucks each for thier servos. Many (not all) peole these days spend more on what can do the job at the least expense rather than pay out the yang for what catches Thier eye.

I got started in this hobby as a young child because I was fasinated with flight and this was the best way for me to participate in aviation even though I have not had much interest in flying full scale aircraft.

Model Aviation is no longer a "HOBBY" for many, it is only an ACTIVITY, there are however those of us sick folks that all we do is centered around Model Aviation .

For those of us who are Hobbiest's , it can be expensive, for those it is an Activity, its not any more and sometimes less than other hobbies, Ever see how much people spend on collector Postal Stamps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.