Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

FINALLY!!!! Our new runway project

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

FINALLY!!!! Our new runway project

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 08:01 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default FINALLY!!!! Our new runway project

We finally got everyone together and decided to put something on the gravel so we are not flying on dirt. We used propex 2006. I guess it comes in many different names. These pictures show 2 rolls down, and 1 to go. it will be 30 by 400 and have taxi ways. it looks awsome. I should have taken more pictures, but before I left, I walked out and the sun had already stretched it all tight. it tightens right up. Way cool.

Many thanks to the members that helps.

HUGE THANKS to the Big Sky Thunderbird members who came down and helped!!! That was so Awsome. We put spikes every 5 inches and it took only 2 hours to put this down. it rocked.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:03 PM
FLYBOY

Default RE: FINALLY!!!! Our new runway project

pics didn't work for some reason. I will try again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74841.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	262047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55554.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	262048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43371.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	262049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk23683.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	262050  
Old 04-23-2005, 08:45 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great FlyBoy. I'm envious!
Dennis-
Old 04-23-2005, 09:01 PM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beats wheat fields and county roads Look like a great jog (enjoy) Watch out for the High speed low passes.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:31 AM
BaronSchwab

Looks great!!!! How does it hold up to one point landings???
Old 04-24-2005, 10:06 AM
DaveJohansen
My Feedback: (8)

That's exactly what I'm trying to get at our field here in Taber. How many guys did you have working on it?
Old 04-24-2005, 10:18 AM
slapshot
My Feedback: (15)

This product is great. Our club, NWRC put this product down for a runway and it lasted until we lost our field,5+ years. It can be damaged by prop strikes, however any cheap caulk or adhesive and a putty knife will repair it.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:11 AM
Deadeye

Looks great, Ed. Now I have another excuse to come over and fly...like I really needed another one.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:12 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Looks great! You guys are going to love it. We have patched ours many times. We overlay a small piece with contact adhesive.

david
Old 04-25-2005, 11:14 AM
FLYBOY

It tightened right up. I went back sunday and took my PT-19. Thats going to be an expensive day of flying. Uleashed the hemi and OOOOOOOPPPPS. Hiway patroll didn't appreciate it.

The first guy that flew on it got his prop into it at full throttle. I was surprised. It marked it but didn't cut.

So far we are happy. We are going to get one more roll for taxi ways and to make it a tad longer. Like it so far!

Biggest complaint is that it is too narrow. (30 feet).

I keep telling them, its only 3 feet less than they had before we put it down, but now there is a solid line instead of a painted one that everyone landed inside of anyway. I told them this would make them better pilots. Everyone agrees it will be safer and better. Going to be great. Got me excited to fly again. I was out very little last year because flying on dirt sux and I ruined an engine sucking up sand. This will be so much better. I will get some new pix of it now that it is tight.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:37 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks great Flyboy. Wow what nice scenery around it. I just posted a new thread here on our new ProPex runway.

Ken

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_29...tm.htm#2912152
Old 04-26-2005, 05:29 PM
BigSkyRCFlyer
My Feedback: (36)

FLYBOY, nice job! I wish we could do that here, but the other club members do not seem to think that stuff works. Looks awesome to me! How much did that cost? Very nice, I might have to take a trip to my old club and fly with you guys.........
Old 04-27-2005, 03:22 PM
FLYBOY

It was cheap. Everything down for $1070 with 400 X 30 runway and taxiways.

It was a huge fight, and I couldn't get them to go along with it for years. Figured out how to solve that problem. I ran for pres in december, explained what I wanted to do. They didn't like the sound of it, but made me pres anyway. I explained it one on one to every member in the club. ONly 2 remained against it, so we voted and did it. Now the ones against it even said it looked great. It was a huge push, but I am soooooooo glad I did it. I think it will get people more excited about flying.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:32 PM
BigSkyRCFlyer

Wow, that is a nice price for all of that. Our club has enough in the club fund to cover that and more, but they do not like to spend it on the field, as only a few of us fly and use it. So it is a fight here too, I see where you are coming from. Can you use this stuff over old pavement that has cracks and such, basically in rough shape, or does it have to be completely smooth and dirt/or gravel? That is excellent much better than dirt! Again great work, get some planes in the air!!!
Old 04-27-2005, 05:09 PM
FLYBOY

You don't want to put it over real rough, as it will shrink and be real rough. I would put fill in over the pavement if it is rough and then put this down. The other problem you will have, you have to put 6 inch turf staples in about every 6 inches. Harder than heck to pound them through pavement. They keep bending, even when we hit rocks. I put a couple through rocks though. hehe.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:14 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

BigSkyRCer, I sure don't think you would want to put this stuff over rough uneven pavement. It would make the old pavement look nice but it wouldn't be any smoother than the old pavement. The old pavement would probably cut the fabric.

Sure is a big difference in clubs. Our guys were all for the ProPex although only a small percentage of the club showed up to help put it down.

Flyboy, we used 8" staples and had a lot of trouble with sub surface rocks. Probably wasted 20% of the staples. It seems that once they bent and were straightned they would keep bending in the same spot again. If I were having trouble with a rock, I would move the staple over about an inch or two and it would usually go in ok. I think rocks were invented in Texas.

Ken
Old 04-27-2005, 06:31 PM
BigSkyRCFlyer

Thanks guys, I was thinking we might have to give up on our pavement. On one side of our main strip we use a section from the old B-17 Base Taxi Way, so it is really bad now. I am tired of the rocks through my wings, fuse and tail feathers. I can't do retracts or wheel pants, which really sucks. If you try to sweep it, more rocks come up, it never ends...... I think it would be much better to abandon the pavement, and move to the grass, and do Propex.

Maybe I can dream enough and the rest of the guys will come around. Happy flying! Both projects turned out great, Big Bird and Flyboy, maybe I can take the photos from both and show the club.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:06 PM
Deadeye

Wow Mark, I'm surprised it is so difficult to get anything going in your club! I thought they were the most easy going guys on the planet! OK, OK, I'm just joking. You could just join here...we don't have enough money for propex, so we won't even have to talk about it!
Old 04-27-2005, 08:23 PM
BigSkyRCFlyer

LOL, Randy, come on up and help me talk to them, I'm sure they would listen to us! You guys have a nice grass field, that I'd love to fly off of!! No need for Propex there!
Old 04-28-2005, 09:18 AM
FLYBOY

Most of our guys wanted grass. Can't get water to where we are. They opted for the dirt, and most seemed ok with it, but it blows holes in your plane every flight. When I started with the propex idea, some were annimate that the dirt was fine. Problem is, they never flew any more. They too were tired of the holes. I don't know why, but we had the money for the stuff, but noone wanted to spend it. Its like this sacred thing. I said that the club would die if we didn't do something. Its been down a week, and we have already had members pay dues that had quit due to the rocks. I think it will help the club to grow again. I know I was done on the rocks. Last time I flew, I lost the covering on 70% of the bottom of the left wing on my SE. Made a heck of a noise when it came off. You could hear it over the 3 planes in the air. Someone yelled "FLUTTER" and everyone slowed down. Noone knew where it came from till I landed. Not fun. Holes in the sheeting too. Ruined one engine last year.

Some will get ticked if you push it, but they will come around when they wake up and realize how nice it is not to have to go home and fix covering every time they fly.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:26 AM
DaveJohansen
My Feedback: (8)

One of the concerns that been thrown at me regarding putting the material down at our club in Taber is how it holds up to wildlife (ie deer) and cattle stepping on it. My thought is if the base underneath is solid they would not be punching holes with their hoofs. Anybody use this stuff where there is wildlife?
Old 04-28-2005, 10:25 AM
FLYBOY

If it is really soft under it, I would think they would make dents, but I can't see them punching through it unless it is really soft. The holes would tighten back up in the sun, but I would want to put a good base under it so it wouldn't get all lumpy. You may have to wet and roll it once in a while to smooth it out.