Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Avistar

Old 05-30-2002, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first plane

MAD Highlander (foam sailplane). It's a bit heavy (I could probably build one a lot lighter now), but very tough and lots of fun!
This plane is really easy to fly. The hard part is getting it to fly really well. It takes lots of practice to be able to get a sailplane to fly as smoothly and gracefully as it should instead of just ramming the sticks around. Learning this helps you fly powered planes too.
Only problem? I've been flying it for over a year and I still can't find any thermals (my fault not the plane's).

BTW the poll is broken
Old 05-31-2002, 12:12 PM
Banned

Default First Airplane

Plastic yellow and blue pt-19 with a cox 049 (control Line) circa 1957

Doc
Old 05-31-2002, 12:36 PM

Default First Plane Addictive?

Plastic yellow and blue pt-19 with a cox 049 (control Line) circa 1957
I had one of them! Late 60's...before building little Wizzards and Lil' Satans and a Ringmaster. My first R/C airplane was a SIG Colt with an MRC radio in 1977.
Old 05-31-2002, 12:55 PM
Banned

Default Ringmaster

TATOO
The ringmaster brings back a lot of memories....also the nobler, flying fool.
Doc
Old 05-31-2002, 05:51 PM
Banned

Default first plane

Tatoo,
I bought my first one w/engine and a 1/2 pint of fuel, battery, control line (threads)...for $7.95
It was the prettiest airplane I have ever wittnessed at that time.......
My first flight , I thought I had to keep up in her to keep her flying......Wrong!
Oh, The bad ole days...
Old 06-01-2002, 03:48 AM

Default like yesterday!

It was the prettiest airplane I have ever wittnessed
I remember it like yesterday! Came with a small can of fuel with the little section of line for fueling, also the handle and some line, and a glow plug clip. All you needed to buy was one of them big square 1 1/2 volt battries and you were flying. They weren't the easiest to start, and the spring start thingy didn't work too well or last to long. We got smart and added a nice fat spinner, and my first "powered" starter was my bicycle...flipped upsidedown...would get the back wheel going...and hold the spinner up against the spinning bike tire...and varooooooooooom!!!
Old 06-02-2002, 07:13 AM

My first RC plane was a great Planes PT 40. A very good flying trainer, with the strongest wing of any trainer I've ever seen. While learning I did cartwheels down the runway, too quick pullouts in dives that turned into loops, etc... I think you would have to jump up and down on this wing to break it.
Old 06-02-2002, 01:46 PM
Banned

Default first R/c

After I was old enough to make money...I purchased a telemaster,Ugly stick, and commenced my rc flying career.
I had more down time than the average bear....I had to teach myself.
The ugly stick was good to me......It was repaired several times.......All the time I was working on the telemaster.....After the silkspan and all the dope.....I telemaster was a pleasure to fly....It was less stressful for a new pilot that had taught himself.
Over the following years, I have owned too many to mention.....The kaos comes to mind. It was my first airplane I had over $500 invested.....It was a great plane.
Doc
Old 06-06-2002, 02:55 AM

Default First Plane

Goldberg Cub O.S. 40

Spent all winter building and on my first "learn without an instructor" flight, beautiful takeoff into a perfect stall turn about 75 feet out.

Back to the workshop and found a club & instructor!
Old 06-09-2002, 05:22 PM

my first was a .40 size AT-6 texen tail drager (low wing) with a OS .40 4 stroke I learned on it put about 800 flights on it and then my dad learned on it also and he probably put just about as much flight time on it as i did then steped up to a CG Ultimate 10-300 biplane with a YS .120
Old 06-09-2002, 06:57 PM
Banned

Default 800 FLIGHTS + DAD

wOw,
That is a lot of flying for the first plane.
My hat is off to your frist 800 flights, and your Dad.
I assume you are in your 60's by now....and Dad has checked out by now.......
at least 1600 flights total.
Ya got your $$$ worth with that model.
What a story....
Doc
Old 06-09-2002, 09:00 PM

we payed i think 200 bucks for that airplane although we did crash it a few times we rebuilt it and kepted on flying hehe no im 25 now i was 13 when i learned to fly
Old 06-15-2002, 05:40 PM
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First itwas rubber powered jobs, then in 4th grade a Berkley Cessna Bird Dog (never did finish it), then on to a J. Walker Fly Baby (O.K. .049)...bunch of Scientific 1/2A's....then Ringmaster, Super Ringmaster, Kewi Cougar; Veco Smoothie, etc.

First R/C was Sterling kit FS1 Piper Tri-Pacer! Flew the Falcon 56 before the Tri-Pacer.....what a life :-)

And the first radio was also a Blue Max on 29.995 - which was also the same frequency as a local Steel Mill used for walkie talkies! AND a lot of rebuilding :-)

Jerry
Old 07-01-2002, 06:35 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Default Trainer

First plane I learned on was a typical 40 sized trainer, BUT with a lot of mods and a huge 0s 70 surpass engine.

Its was the thunder tiger 40 size trainer. IMO it was a good plane to fly but quality was crap. I didnt fly a lot of flights with it, im guessing 100 because I didnt fly that often.

Now I got my sig se and I usually fly 1 a week or at least every 2 weeks at the least
Old 07-10-2002, 02:02 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default First flyer

My first was Mini Mambo, followed by a Mambo, and then a Mighty Mambo. Great trainers, both for flying and building. Built-up wings, box fuse, silkspan coverings. Aahhhh, those were the days!
Old 07-16-2002, 03:41 PM

Default 1960

STERLING MAMBO, FOX .15, C&S superregen receiver on 27 Mhz, BABC-OCK escapements for rudder and motor control, ACE single tube transmitter. You pushed the button once for right, twice for left, and quick blipped for throttle. Hand launched in a hay field, and it flew good, providing the CB'ers weren't on.

Jim
Old 08-16-2002, 12:05 PM

Default Avistar

First plane was a Hobbico Avistar 40 with a ST-40. I bought the plane used from someone for $100. Added a xmtr, rcvr and battery and began my flight lessons. Maybe after 2-3 lessons it crashed, nose first, from about 100' up. Those dad gum metal clevis! Anyway, that plane was rebuilt and crashed several more times (to include a couple of sliced wings) before I finally sold it. When I sold it, I replaced the covering off and about half the tail boom. The only thing on the fuse that was original was the horizontal, vertical and a section of about 4" of the tail boom. I probably put about 100-150 flights on her. It wasn't long after I sold her before I learned that the big fellow had requested her presence up to that big RC airport in the sky.

F.I.P. dear old Avistar.
Old 08-16-2002, 06:36 PM
Banned

The plane that got me hooked on aeromodeling was an early 1970's Cox PT-19 plastic (lead sled) C/L model. Darn thing would barely get off the ground.. and immediately nose-dive every time. (Summer of 1971)

I hate to fail at anything... and I worked like heck to get the thing to fly.. smashed the plastic plane, and started building a kit. I've been building planes ever since.

I built a few Guillows rubber power FF models before that...
Old 08-16-2002, 08:45 PM

Default First Planes

Sticks and tissue since 1938 (mostly unsucessfully). Solid balsa gliders w/Jtex solid fuel, and in 1960 a Smog Hog. Then a Hog
wing on a Fiberglass Fuse. Orbit 8 CH non proportional. None of which actually flew for very long. Couldn't afford Hobby and Family both so by by Hobby. About 1978 built an Astro Hog and finally learned to fly the darn thing.