Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Drying out airplanes

Old 07-01-2005, 11:26 AM
scottrc

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Drying out airplanes

Last night, our town got hit by 70 mph winds, golf ball size hail, a tornado, and 6 inches of rain. It seems the most damage I got was from when my sumps went out of commission and a basement window gave in allowing water to get onto my storage rack and also all over my work bench. My PICA Corsair was pushed off the workbench by the force of the water and onto the floor and was under 4" of water. My Ultra Sport was straped on my PVC carrier and was on the floor. The carrier floated but capsized putting the US under water.

One of our trees fell over onto the neighbor's house and I was kinda busy throughout the night helping him, so I didn't see my damage until early this AM. Although I'm still without power, I got all the water pumped out thanks to being loaned a generator and some new pumps.

Since I cannot do any cleanup or repairs on the house until the insurance man comes, I went to work, where there is electricity and a hot cup of coffee, and am now contemplating on how to dry out and repair these planes. Where do I start? Neither plane had recievers in them and both are all balsa / ply / monocoat construction.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 07-01-2005, 11:41 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Drying out airplanes

Holy smokes!! [X(]

Got no advice, but man I feel for ya!

I suppose if it were me, I would weight down all the wing panels so they don't warp while drying out.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:58 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to here about the flood. This winter out here I lost a 50 foot tree and it just missed my garage.

I have used denatured alcohol to pull the water out of the wood. I then used a propane haeter in a small room to get the temps up. If you have a camp stove, put on a tea pot and let it put some moisture in the air so it does not dry out the planes to fast and caue the wood to warp or crack. The reason I learn this is because I dunked a couple in the water after trying flying on flaots.

Dru.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:08 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Open up everything you can. If the engines got wet, get as much water out of them as you can and then soak them with WD-40 to help remove the water. Pour out any excess and then use a light machine oil such as 3 in 1. It would be a good idea to remove all of the servos, if they were in the planes. Take off the top and bottom and let them air dry. If the water was dirty, flush them with distilled water, or a chemical made for cleaning electronics. If they have ball bearings, make sure the bearings didn't get wet and if they did, lube them to prevent rust. Make sure the potentiometer is clean and dry. Alternatively, you could tell the insurance person the water ruined them and insist on new ones.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:03 AM
jettstarblue

I'd let the insurance adjuster do his magic...
Old 07-02-2005, 11:18 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firstly: Sorry to hear that Scott. Sounds like it is time to move back to Montana where we rarely see 6 inches over the whole summer (this year is the exception).

Secondly: Sounds like piper chuck's advice and the others are what I would do.

Thirdly: I like the insurance thing too. See what they will do. But how can you put a price on planes you have built? I'm thinking add your hours up and hang a price tag of $20-$30 an hour on your time....maybe you will come out ahead.

Good luck, my friend.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:20 PM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

Bummer[:@], that really sucks, I would try to save the electronics first, but the problem is when wood gets wet, it will most likely start to curl up during the drying process, I really feel for ya, a few months ago I had a water pipe burst and damaged my 1 year old wood floor, I didn't do a claim because it happend before in my kitchen, turned out, after submitting a claim, I was droped from the insurance company.
But in your case, it's called " Mother Nature did it", and I would let the insurance company replace your planes.

Joe
Old 07-02-2005, 03:24 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

I think Dorothy and Toto had the same problem and got help from the Wizard.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:51 PM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

I think Dorothy and Toto had the same problem and got help from the Wizard.

Never a dull moment, this is why it's my hangout

Joe[8D]
Old 07-05-2005, 01:22 AM
BigSkyRCFlyer
My Feedback: (36)

Scott that sucks! , sounds like you need to get back to the High Line, Sorry to hear about it, try to save what you can!
Old 07-05-2005, 07:17 AM
scottrc

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks everyone. I tried the denatured alcohol as an evaporator and it seemed to slow down the warpage. I also put the planes in a small room with a dehumidifier since the humidity is so high here and got the covering off immediately. It looks like the planes will be ok with a little TLC. I guess I panicked because the last thing I want is a warped wing on a Corsair.

The insurance guy will be here later this week, maybe, he looks like he'll be busy with all the houses that got severly damaged. My flood claim is open to debate since it was a flood and I do not have this specific flood coverage. However, my agent is pushing for storm damage since the window was knocked out by a fallen limb hence why the planes got damaged.

Now to find where Toto blew off to and also plan my trip back to Montana.

Scott