Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Al Kretz & RC Report

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 03:44 PM
shford
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Al Kretz & RC Report

Just received the latest issue. Gordon begins his column in bold print stating that Al Kretz is no longer with RC Report due to wha Gordon considers unethical behavior. Shame, I really liked his column.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:59 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Al Kretz & RC Report

Ooooh, what's the dirt?
Old 08-02-2005, 12:37 AM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

Hmm.. I know al and he is a great guy from what i have seen at the field. I believe he was just about to put a review in about the Hangar 9 P-40. Sad to see him gone.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:18 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

I remember, way back when I first subscribed to RCR, there was a guy named Andrew Blacker who did reviews for the mag. He got run off for selling the stuff he was sent to review, instead of building it and reviewing it.

I think that would qualify as "unethical".

I wonder what Mr. Kretz did to arouse Gordon's ire???
Old 08-02-2005, 07:27 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's too bad that RC Report had to let Mr Kretz go. I enjoyed his articles, too.

The good part is that the mag gives us honest reporting. If this is what they have to do, in order to keep high standards, so be it.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:56 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

I'd like to hear the whole story, both sides, before getting all excited.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:36 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Who is getting excited? We're just curious.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:46 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

Who is getting excited? We're just curious.
I didn't say anyone was, I just said I would like to know more before I (as in me, or myself) did.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:46 AM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

Gordon has been chewing up assistants at an alarming rate. I like RCR but I wonder if some of the problem may actually be Gordon in this case. However, it struck me as somewhat slanderous for him to print that bold statement in his column. As someone said, there may be another side to this that we don't know about.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:30 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: RCAddiction

Gordon has been chewing up assistants at an alarming rate. I like RCR but I wonder if some of the problem may actually be Gordon in this case. However, it struck me as somewhat slanderous for him to print that bold statement in his column. As someone said, there may be another side to this that we don't know about.
Chewing up assistants? You wanna explain that?
....problem may actually be Gordon in this case. So far, no one has any inkling as to what happened. You wanna explain that?
....slanderous - that would be an oral utterance of false charges, you probably meant libelous which is publishing a defamatory statement or representation that conveys an unjustly unfavorable impression. Sort of like your post.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:10 AM
mvigod
Banned

Maybe Al will come here and elaborate?
Old 08-04-2005, 10:25 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCadmin

Maybe Al will come here and elaborate?
Not very likely... Al went to great lengths a few months back to explain in his column that he was never using email or the internet again...
Old 08-04-2005, 12:31 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bummmmmmer dude, I too like Al's column. I've flown with him and used to go to his hobby shop - he's one EXCELLENT builder!

Jerry
Old 08-04-2005, 02:49 PM
RCAddiction

ORIGINAL: Jim Dines

ORIGINAL: RCAddiction

Chewing up assistants? You wanna explain that?
....problem may actually be Gordon in this case. So far, no one has any inkling as to what happened. You wanna explain that?
....slanderous - that would be an oral utterance of false charges, you probably meant libelous which is publishing a defamatory statement or representation that conveys an unjustly unfavorable impression. Sort of like your post.
Jim, sorry that my comments somehow struck a nerve.

1. Since his first assistant (Anne Sibble?) left a couple of years ago, Gordon has had at least 4 or 5 that I can remember. Doug Burfitt lasted less than 1 year, and he was the longest. There was a lady before and after Doug, and I believe one more before the prior lady. And now a 2nd one since Doug left since the most recent one lasted a mere 3 weeks. Since Gordon writes extensively about his assistants (as well as his pre-occupation with Dell and Sony computers), any reader/subscriber would know this situation. I've managed large organizations for many years. When I see any manager experiencing such high employee turnover, it is pause for concern. It could be the manager is at issue. Or, perhaps the job simply isn't a good one, or it is stressful, or perhaps he just doesn't hire very well. Sorry, Jim, but that is what Gordon himself has been writing about his assistants. So, it's hardly libel. For that matter, he has had a fairly high turnover in contributing authors over the past 2 years as well. Or hasn't anyone noticed?

Definitions - (from dictionary.com)
Slander - "Law. Oral communication of false statements injurious to a person's reputation."
Libel - "A false publication, as in writing, print, signs, or pictures, that damages a person's reputation."

2. I did not realize the difference between oral and written statements in detemining whether something is considered libel or slander. Thanks for the clarification, but it hardly matters in this case. Putting in print, that someone has done something "unethical", if it cannot be substantiated, is a libel lawsuit waiting to happen if Al felt he was in the right. Just because Gordon has the power of the pen doesn't make him correct in his assessment. Whatever action Al took that caused Gordon to publish his comment may be "unethical" in Gordon's opinion, but if it is not factual in the eyes of the law, and harms Al's reputation and ability to earn money as an author could be construed as libel. Frankly, it's not a very smart thing to put into print, unless you are bored and like to handle phone calls from lawyers. Gordon publishes lots of "opinion" but when publishing something like that about a former employee, it's not wise. He might have simply stated that "Al Kretz is no longer part of RC Report, and his opinions expressed do not represent those of RC Report".

For that matter, not all corporate whistleblowers are right, either. But they sure get a lot of attention and people assume they are right and that the corporation is evil.

NET - I don't personally know either man and have absolutely nothing against either guy and nothing to gain either way. Sounds like an unfortunate situation. But looking at a one-sided statement and presuming it is correct because it's in print is unwise.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:06 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Frankly, it is their dirty laundry. I don't want to know.

Regardless of what happened, Gordon could have been more diplomatic and discrete about this sort of thing. I know Gordon is the HHIC and can do what he pleases, but airing one's grievances publicly without allowing a forum for the defendant strikes me as a little harsh. In business and in personal life, it is never a good thing to burn bridges, whatever the circumstances.

The writing in RC Report is always much more candid and jovial than the main stream RC mags, especially Gordon's and Dick's columns. A lot of RCers like that. They feel like the editors are talking with them and not at them. And that's just fine. Personally, I find most of the jokes corny and Gordon's editorial ranting and long-winded. For example, I'm sure Gordon's accounts of his bouts with computers strike a chord and amuse some folks. I quit reading after 1 paragraph. Sure I've had my share of trouble with PCs too, but that is not what I subscribe to RCR for.

I'm not much into scale, so Al's columns usually gets a passing glance from me. I like Ed Moorman's column the best. I am also reading Peter Young's with interest, now that I'm getting into electrics. And I like Dick Petit's reviews... yes, even with the corny jokes.

Speaking of Dick's review... just as I was applauding him for having the kahones to power both of H9's 33% aerobats with G-62, what do I find the latest issue?! He cops out and slaps a BME 110cc firebreather on the GP CAP580. Sacrilege!

But I digress... I wish both Gordon and Al well in their future endeavors.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:42 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Lee, thanks for the explanation.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:43 PM
RCAddiction

Volfy - funny but I totally agree with your assessment of the magazine's plusses and minusses as well as Gordon's computer rantings (I tune out as well). Most reviews are honest and don't hold back which I think is the big draw for RCR. I like Dick's column, although not most of the corny jokes (review quote "well butter my butt and call me a biscuit"). I was actually pleased, though, that Dick used a BME (110?) in the plane, because that or DA100 does represent what many people seem to be gravitating towards. Ed Moorman rocks, but isn't he going to stop writing fairly soon? I thought it was mentioned someplace. I know they are looking for an additional column and I was thinking that an IMAC column might be good, if they can get an author who really knows how to fly precision first, and 3D freestyle second. I would enjoy an Ed Moorman but IMAC style. This might even allow them to do a more thorough job evaluating the larger aerobatic planes.

Jim, glad it's okay. No harm, no foul.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:59 PM
tychoc

This is the first I've heard of this magazine. Is it only available through subscription? I haven't seen it in any stores.

Anyways, it sounds like the articles are more objective than say Fly RC which I subscribe to. I might have to give them a try.

-tychoc
Old 08-04-2005, 04:51 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stu Richmond the author of the Just Plane Fun column (I hope I remembered his name right) has announced that he is stepping down soon... Ed Moorman (who frequents RCU) has not made any such announcement of which I am aware...
Old 08-04-2005, 05:55 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

RCaddiction, I sure hope Ed Moorman doesn't call it quits. If he leaves, I will have to think twice about renewing. Ed's column is the main reason I put up with the smelly newspaper print Gordon absolutely refuses to get out of. I would gladly pay $10/yr more if RCR would upgrade to the glossy color prints.

I too like the idea of an IMAC Moorman column. Some people fly 3D, others fly IMAC, me I fly ED Moorman. No disrepect to Ed, but his column speaks exactly to guys like me - sport flyers. My loops are out-of-round. My flat spins are not flat. My 4-point rolls stop at 80-217-253-358 degrees. My rolling circles are... who am I kidding?!... I can't do rolling circles.

As I get better though, I would like the same friendly voice to guide me through the more structured and difficult sequences.

Yes, of course I was speaking tongue-in-cheek about Dick's choice of powerplant. Realistically, even the most relaxed Sunday Flyer wouldn't put a G-62 on a H9 33% Edge. But you know... Dick's comments on the airplanes' limited aerobatics with the smallest recommended engine are actually much more telling than otherwise simply bolting on a monster motor and declaring the beast "does every maneuvre in the book" (like other publications so often do). Heck, strap on big enough of an engine, even a barn door could do every maneuvre in the book. OTOH, finesse with an underpowered aerobat requires both an accomplished pilot and a good aircraft. It takes some serious editorial guts to take the path less traveled.

Either that, or Dick is just too cheap to buy anything but a used G-62.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:17 PM
tailskid

You said:"
Either that, or Dick is just too cheap to buy anything but a used G-62."

ROTFLMAO!

Jerry
Old 08-04-2005, 07:44 PM
RCAddiction

GalenB, thanks. I knew it was somebody, yes, it was Stu. My brain is tired! Yes, i would be very sad to see Ed "retire" from the magazine. Those manuever cards are awesome and I really enjoy his style. Many of us have asked repeatedly to have the manuever cards made into a book, preferably a small spiral binded thing we can take to the field. He's also a wonderful voice of reason on this forum.

Jerry, Volfy - you guys are killing me on Dick and the G62 and the newsprint. Too funny yet SO TRUE! I shoulda realized you were joking about that engine, V. I was completely amazed it was not a Zenoah. Dick, are you out there? Why did you put a G62 into the 33% Hangar 9 Edge 540?

IMAC column - YEAH! I don't personally enjoy competing in flying, but my 11 year old (his trainer is a Magic Extra, I'm so proud!) started going to some IMAC contests this year with some friends who fly, including a couple of top pilots. Everybody is genuinely nice and they all seem to want to pull each other up by their bootstraps to learn to fly better. The guys who started with precision flying, and then move on to add 3D stick slamming, seem to be the best pilots and I learn so much from them. Just starting to learn how to do IMAC basic manuevers properly, is finally giving us something to shoot for to improve flying finesse. Round loops included. Ed is terrific on general manuevers and funfly and I agree, it would be a cool, complementary column for sport pilots like us, as we continue to progress.

Old 08-04-2005, 09:57 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

What's this about me quitting!!! I'm not quitting. I've still got planes and kits in storage from hurricane Ivan and still holes in the ceiling. Got the roof fixed, though. Anybody do mildew? I threw together a couple of ARFs, but most of my stuff is put away. I was getting things fixed when Dennis hit.

So don't count me out. I haven't run out of BS yet.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:12 PM
tailskid

Ed said: "So don't count me out. I haven't run out of BS yet."

AND the Hurricane season isn't over either

Jerry
Old 08-04-2005, 11:44 PM
RCAddiction

Yay, Ed!! Sorry, I have accidently started a rumor about you leaving. I simply forgot that it was Stu who was retiring from RCR, not you. My profound apologies! On the other hand, did you see how many people jumped in to say wonderful things about you? See, we do like you after all. Do you feel the love?

Please convince your boss to publish your manuever sheets in a nice 5x7 pocketable spiral bound book - suitable to bring flying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.