Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

"Borrowing" etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 08:11 PM
iflynething

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "Borrowing" etiquette

It's funny I found this. I'm actually going to be able to borrow a guys Ultra Stick. Everything. I probably won't fly it, unless he wants me too, but I'm getting to borrow the plane to program everything. He has the same radio as me, so I get his crystal and do everything to get the full potential out of the Ultra Stick.

But about the borrowing, I'm usually the one borrowing. I alway seem to not have somethin. I don't mind lending out paper towels, and even cleaner. It's cheap, and I just say yeah go ahead. I don't know about the big stuff though. Maybe not a big engine. Nice little four-stroke or something, but like maybe a 40 sized. I mean, engines can be expensive. I don't care about the smaller stuff though

~Michael~
Old 09-14-2005, 11:47 PM
TRoc

An RCer (who is well thought of) called me one evening to ask to borrow two (micro) servos for a Flatana. He was wanting so badly to get his plane in the air. I was glad when I was able to find some servos that were virtually new that he could use.

About a week goes by and I see him at the field and ask him how it went. He said my servos, "Don't work." I said, "BOTH of them!?" and He said, "Yes." I took the servos back but it bothered me that I gave him bum equipment to use since they should have been "new."

A week or so later, I heard people at the RC field talking to him about burning up a receiver because he plugged a 3 cell lipo directly into the receiver. Being curious, I pulled the servos apart and I saw smoke residue on the plastic and they smelled burned. I'm pretty sure that the servos were plugged into the receiver when they were zapped by the 3 cell lipo.

Anyway, I thought about this for a while and I later asked him if my servos were plugged into the receiver that he burned up with the lipo battery. He said that they "might" have been and that he could replace the servos. I told him it was no big deal and not to worry about it.

Old 09-15-2005, 06:56 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

It's funny - over the years I've probably given away 25-30 props, a couple dozen glo plugs, a couple of radios, several motors, and a few airframes and kits. Next thing you know, I get a phone call out of the blue that says "My father/son/husband moved/passed away/quit the hobby and I've got this stuff that needs a new home. Could you haul it off for me?" This has happened half a dozen times (at least) and has ranged from junk to gems - and always seems to include some props, glo plugs, field equipment, balsa, etc.
Back in the RCO days, I hooked up with Art Grabow to help a youngster get started in RC. Art had an ARF trainer NIB that he shipped me, and my aviation class assembled it as a lesson. I added a 4 channel radio and a bushing 40, and the youngster and his father drove up to where I fly and got a lesson as well as a complete setup. A very nice young man who wouldn't have been able to get into the hobby otherwise - and I didn't miss the stuff a bit.
A couple years back, a guy that I didn't really know too well at the time lost his only flight pack in a cornfield. This guy is a true modeler - builds all his own planes, loves to try different things. He was experimenting with gliders at the time. He works full-time in a low-paying job, and he probably squeezes $25 a month out of the budget for himself and his "toys". At the time, I had quit flying gliders and consolidated all my power planes onto a computer radio, so I had a 6VA (GREAT non-computer TX) gathering dust. I nosed around in my shop and came up with a matching rx, servos, batt and switch. Looked up on my "I'll NEVER build that!" kit shelf and had a woodie glider kit. Tossed it all in my trailer, knowing I'd see the guy that weekend. Sure enough, he came out just to watch and enjoy the company - and nearly cried when I called him over and handed him the stuff. I HATE selling used radio gear - but it sure felt great to give it to someone who would put it to good use.
There have been days that I've not had what I needed -prop, wing bolt, whatever - and someone ALWAYS helps me out. What goes around, comes around. I keep a rollaway in my trailer, and one drawer is dedicated to junk/salvage/parts that might come in handy at the field. There have been days I've gone to the field and spent most (or all) of my time helping other people learn to tune a motor, make a good approach, fix a boo-boo, or set up an ARF. I've been too darned busy to fly much the last 18 months or so - and I miss the people more than the flying!