Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Where are all the Fuel Tanks going?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Where are all the Fuel Tanks going?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 04:24 AM
Grampaw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where are all the Fuel Tanks going?

While putting a repaired plane back together I couldn't find it's fuel tank. I put it somewhere and now can't find it! Smart huh? Ever done that? And, all the "spares" I had on hand wouldn't fit. So I got out the Tower Hobbies "Big Book" and it took me the longest time to find the Fuel Tanks. Tanks are not even listed in the Index! I just happened onto them. They have only two listed, and neither one would work on my plane. Tower used to sell a whole bunch of different tanks, but now there are only two! I could have ordered a Rubber Stopper for $1.15 that would fit an old tank I have on hand, but the thought of paying an additional 7.00 to ship that little piece of rubber was kind of hard to swallow. Plus being an old "modeler" I figured I could make do, so I went back to digging and found two old Hayes tanks with the fuel lines attached and cleaned them up. I wound up using the the one that fit with the least work. So when you put stuff away be sure you can find it later, as it may not be obtainable a few later the way things seem to be going nowdays.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:08 AM
76.ta
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Where are all the Fuel Tanks going?

Just for fun I went to towers site and found 5 pages of Fuel Tanks.
I always put my extra stuff in a safe place. I know its safe as I can't
find it myself!
Roy
Old 08-27-2005, 09:37 AM
Live Wire

Granpa
I just ask my wife where stuff is It's hell getting old. You alway's find it after you don't need it[&o]
Old 08-27-2005, 09:46 AM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: Grampaw

While putting a repaired plane back together I couldn't find it's fuel tank. I put it somewhere and now can't find it! Smart huh? Ever done that? And, all the "spares" I had on hand wouldn't fit. So I got out the Tower Hobbies "Big Book" and it took me the longest time to find the Fuel Tanks. Tanks are not even listed in the Index! I just happened onto them. They have only two listed, and neither one would work on my plane. Tower used to sell a whole bunch of different tanks, but now there are only two! I could have ordered a Rubber Stopper for $1.15 that would fit an old tank I have on hand, but the thought of paying an additional 7.00 to ship that little piece of rubber was kind of hard to swallow. Plus being an old "modeler" I figured I could make do, so I went back to digging and found two old Hayes tanks with the fuel lines attached and cleaned them up. I wound up using the the one that fit with the least work. So when you put stuff away be sure you can find it later, as it may not be obtainable a few later the way things seem to be going nowdays.
Around page 254-256 are some Dubro and Great Planes tanks.

If you use the web site www.towerhobbies.com rather than the 'big book' it is much easier to find stuff and there is more to choose from

Fuel and accessories
Fuel systems
Fuel tanks

I like printed catalogs, if a computer is not available, but find them much harder to use than the Tower site. I wish all 'mail-order' company sites were as good as Tower's. They have a search function that actually works most of the time.

I'm really fortunate to have 4 hobby shops within reasonable driving distance, so I can get most things locally. I only mail order if there's a "coupon code" or such a big price difference that it makes sense. I'd definitely hate to pay more in shipping than a part costs.
Old 08-27-2005, 11:29 AM
bentgear

I thought fuel tanks were like rabbits, they seem to multiply at an alarming rate, at least when you are first starting out.

Ed M.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:04 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

ORIGINAL: bentgear

I thought fuel tanks were like rabbits, they seem to multiply at an alarming rate, at least when you are first starting out.

Ed M.
Mine seem to also... along with props. Unfortunatly, they always appear when I don't need them.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:13 PM
jongurley
My Feedback: (29)

I always lose those son of #&#&$&$ charge leads to my triton for my LIPO's and Nicad/Nimh, [:@]
Old 08-28-2005, 01:18 PM
RCJake-rcu
My Feedback: (7)

Maybe your planes are telling you-all to go electric...

Jake
Old 08-29-2005, 03:37 AM
Grampaw

Carrellh, I appreciate the time and effort you spent going through Tower's catalog on my tank question. After reading your Post tonight, and just to be sure I didn't miss something, I got out the catalog again and went to the pages you mentioned, 254 and 256. I had seen them already, but neither fit my requirements. I was looking for a tank with a fuel stopper on the front, much like a bottle with lines coming out of the stopper. The "bottle cap" arrangement would slide into a hole on the Firewall, allowing the lines to come out right behind the engine between the motor mount arms. Tower used to offer a good variety of tanks styles and sizes, and it surprised me to find only two in this year's book. My closest Hobby Shop is an hour's drive, and I really was sure Tower could fill my needs, but surprise, surprise! Guess I better find a new mail order supplier huh?

Old 08-30-2005, 02:50 PM
BaronSchwab

Yeah their web site is much better than the "Big Book".
Old 08-30-2005, 09:46 PM
carrellh

I was looking for a tank with a fuel stopper on the front, much like a bottle with lines coming out of the stopper. The "bottle cap" arrangement would slide into a hole on the Firewall, allowing the lines to come out right behind the engine between the motor mount arms.
The only tanks I've ever seen made like that are the ones that come with ARFs. I've only been involved with planes for a few years, though, so there's plenty I haven't seen.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:15 PM
AgCat1982

You got a problem with the online catalog?
Old 09-02-2005, 10:06 PM
Grampaw

76-TA,
Which catalog were you looking in, the 1999 issue? Sure aren't 5 pages of tanks in my 2005. Oh, you weren't talking about the Sherman and Bradleys were you? GP
Old 09-02-2005, 10:49 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a huge bag full at a swap meet. Probably won't be able to find the bag next time I need one.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:11 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

I recently found an invitation to a party laying in my workroom.

It was addressed to the fuel tanks and signed by the socks.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:15 PM
carrellh

76-TA,
Which catalog were you looking in, the 1999 issue? Sure aren't 5 pages of tanks in my 2005. Oh, you weren't talking about the Sherman and Bradleys were you? GP
The online catalog has about 5 pages of fuel tanks, but none are the type you are looking for.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

While you're looking, I lost a brand new can of LusterKote teal paint. I had it right on the top shelf of my workbench. The minute that I needed it, it must have gone to the sock party also. If you see it walking the streets in a drunken stupor, let me know.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:16 PM
s-maxx-basher

ORIGINAL: P-51B

I recently found an invitation to a party laying in my workroom.

It was addressed to the fuel tanks and signed by the socks.
boy o boy those damn socks..