Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Planning events at your club - Help Me

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Planning events at your club - Help Me

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 04:27 PM
RedWing
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning events at your club - Help Me

Does anyone have a check list or document they follow for organizing an event at your club? I am now Vice President/Webmaster/Newsletter Editor for my club. This gives me the duties of organizing our Annual Air Show at our club in July. I have never been to our show as I am only a couple year member and have been out of town during that time the last couple of years.
I know we will set up a couple of large canopies type tents, have food and water/pop, barbecue, sell raffle tickets for a R/C plane, 50/50 and flying. I will pump more info out of other members but I would like to add a few new things to the event and try not to miss any thing.

Anyways, any help would be very much appreciated.
Bill [8D]
Old 01-11-2006, 05:34 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Planning events at your club

Our club used to open the Georgetown,Tx Airshow with an RC demo every year. We pretty much setup a bunch of planes to look at and put up a yellow crime barrier so parents would know where the control your kids line is. Before I started working the raffle the guys would just sit there and wait for people to walk up and buy tickets. Then one year an older aggresive member hawked the tickets like at a carnival. I followed suite and money started flowing in. We more than doubled our raffle money that year. So I kept it up after that gentleman moved on. The raffle was for a trainer and we offered free first year club membership and lessons. Most people didnt even show up but we still sold a lot of tickets. Work them like a used car salesman and a carnie and the money moves. We normally cleared about $1000 when we did that.
Edwin
Old 01-11-2006, 09:05 PM
RedWing

Thanks Edwin,

We do a raffle also. I did the same thing as you. I started walking around and we ran out of tickets two years ago. Last year I got a bunch of other people to the same and I didn't have to work so hard.

Bill
Old 01-11-2006, 10:20 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never been to our show as I am only a couple year member and have been out of town during that time the last couple of years.
In that case, find those that have done the event and confer with them. Then confer with others that did attend the events. (Don't argue, just listen)

For now, determine if your event is to be a Display, (really an Air-SHOW) a Fly-In or what. Is it to be AMA Sanctioned? Except for non-flying shows, any sanctioned event must be conducted by an AMA ordained Contest Director. If you are not one then get one to submit the application. You can still be General Manager. In the meantime, you can apply for and if qualified get a CD rating and take the sanction over. For now get the application in and your date established plus listing in the AMA's MA.

Then determine with your club leaders just how and what you wish to accomplish. Prepare a budget. Make your own checklist from the information you gather. Try to get some dependables to assist you and take over certain parts (heavy work like set-up, clean-up, registration, food stuff, etc. including Transmitter-Impound) that you feel you can trust them with. Don't depend on those that promise to help if they should show up. That is aggravation you don't need. [:@]

Don't get too worked up except for having your paperwork all accomplished about a month before the event. Then send notices in the form of "official" News Releases to all local media. Also, it's time to start following up on how the dependables are coming along.

The last week you should have all the chores accounted for. Clean up the field and have all tables, chairs, tents, public announcement system, etc. clean and ready to go. Plan last minute weather diversions. Have the grass mowers to mow about 2 days prior to the event. Get any markings for the field at least laid out and check the marking equipment is ready to go along with lime, paint, whatever. (Allow one day for wx.)

On the day of the event, show up at least a couple hours prior to your help arriving. Walk over the site and review your details, checking as well as you can. When the help comes be ready to get them into place. If any markings need to be done, redone, send THEM out to do it. YOU are the manager.

Hey, a piece of cake, nothing to it. Have a great show.

Old 01-11-2006, 11:35 PM
RedWing

Wow, a lot of information. Thanks
I have time and will be talking to the other club members about what we have done in the past events. At one time it was a Giant Fly. Now they just call it a Air Show.
I am always one to try to improve on last year.
So here I go.

Bill