Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Ideas For Warbird Fly-In Activities

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Ideas For Warbird Fly-In Activities

Old 04-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Lucky Dog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ideas For Warbird Fly-In Activities

I've been tasked with coming up with some ideas for activities to liven up our Warbird Fly-In a bit this year. [link=http://www.jcrcf.net]Johnson Co. RC Flyers[/link]

So far I've come up two (and these I got from the Louisville, Ky club last fall):

Spot Landing contest.
An area is marked off on the runway, and a plane has to touch down and come to a complete stop to "qualify". Fliers will get three chances at this, and each time the succesfully complete the landing, they receive a ticket that enters thm in a drawing for a nice prize.

Pilots Choice (with a catch):
Qualifying entrants must have make at least one flight, and perform a high speed pass, and low speed pass. This eliminates hanger queens from the competition.

I'd like to come up with one more event that will appeal to most all warbird fliers attending. Suggestions have been made like "limbo" or "helium balloon chase". These don't appeal to me as a warbird pilot, as I don't think you are going to get someone with their warbird that they've spent years and big $$$ on to risk it playing Limbo. Maybe I'm wrong here though.

I'm trying keep everything low key, laid back and fun. And trying to stay away from "subjective" events that require a real judging.

Any and all ideas and input greatly appreciated!

Old 04-14-2006, 01:27 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Ideas For Warbird Fly-In Activities

OK, a suggestion: take off and go into a 180 chandelle (climbing turn), straight and level on the downwind, then a gradual 180 descending (diving?) turn to make a low pass over the runway and a 30 degree climb with a SLOW victory roll. Maneuver complete!

Not a difficult sequence, but try to make it as scale as possible.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:37 PM
scottrc

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I too would try a "scale" flying event. Whoever can take off with a scale roll-out, do a scale roll, and the hard part, landing in a scale fashion wins the most points.

Also do scale bombing and strafing runs.

Maybe a warbird race?

Scott
Old 04-14-2006, 01:43 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Play airplane poker: It was discused in another post, but a brief is to spread cards FACE DOWN out on the runway and you get 5 chances to land closest to a card that will make up your hand ( you can draw for more cards if you have time ) The card you get will be the closest card to the nose of the plane. You can also play blackjack ( 21 ).
The balloon bust could be changed to a teathered balloon on the run way. Use light balloons teathered by thread, shouldn't do any damage. HAVE FUN, ENJOY !!! RED
Old 04-14-2006, 04:56 PM
Lucky Dog

Thanks guys, some great ideas. I hadn't considered tethering the balloons.

I like the scale maneuvers too. However, my concern there is in trying to stay laid back and only mildly competitive. Thereby avoiding flying that needs to be judged "subjectively". A pre-established set of maneuvers (like what Jim recommended) would be the most logical way, with maybe an optional maneuver in lieu of the roll. I'd hate to discriminate against the bombers. Especially if Greg Hahn shows up again this year with his B-25. Yes, he's built another to replace the one that crashed at the NATS, and it looks better than last years' that he won Top Gun with (if you can imagine that). While I'm quite sure it'll roll, I don't think he'd risk doing something like that at our event.[X(] You never know though.

Who's got more?
Old 04-15-2006, 04:07 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How about combat with streamers?
Old 04-15-2006, 12:01 PM
Ken Erickson

Dog,

I am familiar with your club, and have been to your field several times. I'm very surprised that they would want "Fun-Fly" type activities at a "Fly-in". Are you sure?

A possible Fly-in activity is to give a playing card for each flight. The cards are kept at the impound. When a person gets the 6th card, they need to discard one. t a coule of times in the day, they gather round, look at their hands. The winning Poker hand gets a prize of some type, that hand is turned in, and more flying occurs. This is a twist on just giving raffle tickets for each flight, as there is some active participation.

We will be moving to Columbus in a couple of years. Will be ther to visit next summer.

Yours,

Ken, AMA 19352
Old 04-16-2006, 08:04 PM
crownvic

Why not try a 520 fun scale contest for war birds this includes a take off,figure 8,fly by,flight realisiam,and 5 manuvers that your plane is capable of doing they have to be manuvers that the full scale could do and a landing. Need a couple of judges and score each manuver on a 1 to 10 scale. you can also break it down to novice, intermediate and advanced. Good luck with your fly in .

Lonnie
Old 04-17-2006, 03:00 PM
Lucky Dog

Foam,
It is not our intent to turn our Warbird Fly-In into a fun-fly event. Just make it a bit more interesting. However, I can see your point that it could be viewed that way. I think I will stay with the two "activities" I have already, the high and low speed pass to qualify for Pilots Choice, and the spot landing.

I do think that the tethered balloon idea would be fun at the Hoosier Dawn Patrol WW1 event coming up this summer. Balloon busting was part of WW1 aerial combat after all.

Glad to hear that you'll be back in our neighborhood (if even two years out).

Crownvic,
Good idea, but as I said earlier, I want to stay away from something that is subjective, and requires judging (other than the "observations" that will be required with the above two events this year. Maybe someday though. Actually, maybe we could do as scale competition "demo" this year with a couple of guys judging and gage the interest in adding something like that in the future.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Ken Erickson

Dog,

Found this on Spirits of St. Louis Club site. Rules for their "Gumball Fly-In".

http://spiritsofstl.com/rules/GumBallFlyin.PDF

Thanks for your gentle answer to me sticking my old nose in.

Ken, AMA 19352

Old 04-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Spectators like to see planes fly. You need to constantly egg on the pilots to get up in the air and fly. Thats what keeps the interest up. Thats what we do at our scale meets. Continuously on the mic to get them up.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:34 PM
Lucky Dog

Cyclic,
You are 100% correct, that's the method behind the madness.

We've got a good person on the mike this year. We neglected that aspect of the event the past couple of years, and it does make a big difference I think.

Foamie,
Stick yer nose in anytime. I'm always open to suggestions. Unless of course it's in total disagreement with "my ideas". [sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 04-18-2006, 10:57 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

We call ours a "Scale Fly In". This way you can get more pilots. I know it may defeat the purpose of a Warbird Event but you get more participation and you can create events. We have a gaggle of cubs where everyone who brought a cub has to get it up in the air all at once. Along with minor dog fighting in the warbirds and such. Then the guy on the mic making fun of the pilots while they're flying, getting them to fly lower and things like that. It's a good time.