Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

1st INDUCTEE to RC Hall of Shame!

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

1st INDUCTEE to RC Hall of Shame!

Old 08-16-2006, 09:17 PM
bobzilla
My Feedback: (63)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1st INDUCTEE to RC Hall of Shame!

There are many products on many areas of this hobby that are marvels of engineering..and some that are
flat-out failures, one in particular and proven by the many threads and talks not only here, but in clubhouses, flying fields, and other rc forums of its problemattic behavior is SuperTigre 2300 2-stroke engine (Chinese version).

I nominate this engine as the FIRST INDUCTEE in the RC Universe "Hall of Shame"!

Do I have any seconds?

Bobzilla
Old 08-16-2006, 09:20 PM
MNFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1st INDUCTEE to RC Hall of Shame!

You've got a second. Never have had a good experience.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:21 PM
Ectomorph26

I've read of several people using them and having no problems out of them.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:31 PM
bobzilla

Not interested in hearing any more about have or have not on this engine..It has aleady been proved its own
nomination (see first post). You can use a search to find the threads and go join there to credit or dis-credit this engine.

Thanks for second Crasher..we now make it OFFICIAL as 1st INDUCTEE!

Bobz
Old 08-16-2006, 09:51 PM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

Alright here's one.

3W's ignition system. I've personnally had 3 fail including one just last week, and on the UAV I worked on last year using 3W's ignition, I had a further 7 fail.

How many guys out there run 3W motors and a different ignition???

I should mention that's the main reason I bought a twin spark 3W, because I know it will still come around and land on one ignition system.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:54 PM
bobzilla

Ok..that's could be the next INDUCTEE..I will research the threads and forums..and see what others say.
I did have mine fail this year..and cost 1/2 price of engine to replace..
thanks for heads up on this one.
Bobz
Old 08-16-2006, 10:50 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I cannot believe that the engine is first on the list when I have yet to decide what to do with the Wood Pecker from Top Flite. It never did do what it said and I am not sure what to do with it now. This would be my selection. Good Luck, Dave
Old 08-16-2006, 11:22 PM
bobzilla

show me the threads or forums on its problems?
Old 08-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: bobzilla

There are many products on many areas of this hobby that are marvels of engineering..and some that are
flat-out failures, one in particular and proven by the many threads and talks not only here, but in clubhouses, flying fields, and other rc forums of its problemattic behavior is SuperTigre 2300 2-stroke engine (Chinese version).
I nominate this engine as the FIRST INDUCTEE in the RC Universe "Hall of Shame"!
Do I have any seconds?
Bobzilla

I have been running SuperTigers of all sizes for several years. Also will admit on mid range problems. But I guess those who know how to properly dial in an engine have no complaints and those who don't buy pumps and glow drivers trying to compensate for lack of knowledge.

The engine itself is fine, it's the carbs that are weak. Even if you bought a G90 at $120 and installed a $40 Perry carb, you'd still save $40 over the cost of an 91fx and run as good and probably better than any 91fx. That 91 fx is no prize either and has had more than it's fair share of overheating problems.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:33 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

That 91 fx is no prize either and has had more than it's fair share of overheating problems.

I would have to second that. The 91FX is the all time biggest POS ever produced. Fortunately, their other engines are pretty good.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:09 AM
bobzilla

I've read every forum here on the OS .91fx..and except for some needle valve placement problems (corrected by OS) and some overheading, I don't see the .91fx close to being a POS. In fact, the opposite, I see praise everwhere, in lots of different forums. Maybe, you could show me the forums spefically justifying the .91fx as a lemon?

bobzill
Old 08-17-2006, 12:02 PM
Scar

Wow, the only 4 copies of the .91 FX in my club are all dependable powerhouses. I have no luck with 15% in mine, so I use 10%, same for one other guy, and they're great.

Dave Olson
Old 08-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Cyclic Hardover

It was I believe the first couple years the 91fx came out. I had two of them and they went back within a months time. What bothered me at the time was Tower/OS/Hobby Services, as far as i remember , never came out and said theirs a problem so I never went back to them.

Now I have several other OS sizes and love them but will never touch the 91fx again. One guy just stuffed a nice Flanker in the extreme speed forum with a 91fx quit on him
Old 08-17-2006, 09:57 PM
FLYBOY

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It was a few years ago, I had one replaced by OS, it failed again, then they replaced that one again. I wasn't about to trust another one so I gave up. Haven't heard much from them since. I know they replaced a lot of them a couple years ago. I would like to think they fixed it but I won't trust one again just from what we all went through then. At least they stood behind them. I always liked the way great planes handled cust service. They are great to deal with.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:18 PM
bobzilla

It's to O.S.s benefit that any problemattic be quickly identified and fixed. As far as O.S. engines today (2006), I can't think of an engine one that is not will received and liked in the hobby. I have read and heard about the "lackings" of bearing from the LA series, but hey, they certainly have never misrepresented the fact..they just DON'T advertise as "Bearingless Motors". I would buy a O.S. .91 in a heartbeat..knowing a Great company is behind it. I personally can't stand SAITOs as the ones I have owned have been
"tempermental" I should say, and even after returning from the factory, they just "acquired" a different "quirk". Would I buy a Saito today, no, probably not because of a bad experience, just because of the high price of Saito 20/20 fuel.
bobz
Old 08-18-2006, 07:37 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dont have to run saito 20/20 fuel, waste of money in my opinion. I use 2-stroke 10%. Runs fine from my .56 up to my 1.8. I've never been one to ring out every bit of rpm. I just prop it for 8k to 9k rpm and they're real happy there. All my saito's run inverted with no problems without any onboard glow driver. But we should get back on track here. This is a Hall of Shame thread. <g>
Edwin
Old 08-18-2006, 09:45 AM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Next Nominee for Induction: OS 70 Ultimate

CanI get a witness??!!
Old 08-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Cyclic Hardover

ORIGINAL: bobzilla
Would I buy a Saito today, no, probably not because of a bad experience, just because of the high price of Saito 20/20 fuel.
bobz
"THATS IT! THATS IT!" The reason why Super Tigers have these issues is not that people cannot dial in an engine right but that they are not using Super Tiger Fuel. Man I feel so much better now. I'll just go an get me some and it will dial in the engine automatically.[sm=bananahead.gif]

As far a fourstrokes go, yeh they're all tempermental but if you cannot dial in a two stroke right, any fourstroke you get your hands on is really going to be a mess.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:09 PM
bobzilla

Never heard of anyone running less than recommened fuel for Saito or YS..to save the engine and lower costs.

I'm gonna go look for some 57 or 67 octane for my BMW!

bobz
Old 08-18-2006, 03:06 PM
Bax

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We believe that "Bobzilla" may not have had the newer SuperTigre G-2300 engines. After production stopped in Italy, and before it was resumed in China, the engine was thoroughly examined, tested, and the carburetion redesigned. The current-production engine, once broken-in and properly-tuned, has no difficulties with operation in all flight regimes. There are literally thousands of this version of the engine in modelers' hands worldwide.

If Bobzilla will send me a PM with his full name and mailing address, I'll be happy to send him a new, SuperTigre G-2300 to keep for his personal evaluation.

If anyone else who's reading this post is having problems with the G-2300, or any other SuperTigre engine, they should contact Product Support or Hobby Services for assistance. The new carb design solves virtually all reliability and setting problems with this engine.

Bax
Old 08-18-2006, 03:20 PM
bobzilla

It's a deal..Address is on its way!
Old 08-18-2006, 03:27 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I second the 3W ignition nomination, with both types of their ignitions. Was there to experience all of it and a little more.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:32 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for chiming in BAX. I have run ST engines for 20 years. There has always been a strong rivalry with OS among my flying buddies. I have seen good and bad engines from both companies. Heck, they are built be people. I hate it when someone slams a product because of a few problems. To make thing worse the person posting the problems could be a total moron. On a forum such as this you have no idea who is posting. I have been on this site for a while now and post every day. There are only 5-6 guys on here who I would take their word as gospel.
Now that the rant is over let me say the ST is a little different animal than most of the OS's I have tuned. The break in takes a little longer and the low end needle seems to be a little more finicky when the engine is new. Once it has a few gallons run through it though. It will be very stable make great power and last many years.

I feel better now,
David
Old 08-18-2006, 04:18 PM
bobzilla

Here are two very interesting links..both being an aftermarket manufacturers for the ST 2300 carburator.

==========

Jett
Improved Performance For Your
Big Super Tigre
Engine

Our famous
Red-Jett Carburetors
are now available for
ST2300
ST3000
ST3250

Over the past two years we have received several special request orders to build carburetors for the larger SuperTigre engines. These ST owners were unsatisfied with midrange performance and throttle response provided by the stock assembly.

Our response was to develop a carburator which offers superior performance to the stock assembly. Our customers have been extremely satisfied with the results, and JETT is now pleased to offer these replacement carburetors as featured JETT accessory.

http://www.jettengineering.com/accy/ststuff.html

========

and Perry

If you trouble with the midrange of your Super Tigre 2300's, Conley Precision has a solution that solves all your problems. Check out the number 5001 and 5002 "Mega Carbs" in the carb section of this web site.

http://www.perrypumps.com/news.htm

Guess they MUST be listening to the end user!!

bobz

Old 08-18-2006, 05:25 PM
linear

Hey, I've know bobzilla for years and he is one of the most knowledgeable flyers at our field. Not only does he help others with engine problems,
he is always there to help with other "flight" problems. I agree that some people that post on RCU are morons, but bobzilla is not one of them!!
Lyle B.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.