Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Online Spelling Mafia

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 06:19 AM
jettstarblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Online Spelling Mafia

ORIGINAL: Ectomorph26

It's the difference between a learned language and a native language. Like if an American learns to speak "German" then Germans are likely like "Wow that American speaks better German than most Germans I know."

It's because as a native language we commonly break the rules to the language. Plus language is not an invention. It is something that has developed and evolved over the years. Like people in the south speak one way, and people in the north speak another, in california a different type of english as used, and in Luisiana yet another dialect of English and french mixed.

Thus languages are not set in stone. They change with cultures, and races, and geography. It's like why do yankees talk fast and southerners talk slow? Then you have stuff like ebonic's which drives your proper english people mad.

It's like I speak english, and britains speak english but I can't understand half of what a british person says, and vice versa. They say "bobby" I say "pig" they say "nipped" I say "busted".

I was talking to a french girl once and I'm always curious about foreign languages. There are some curious differences in words usage vs meaning. For example an American walks across the living room and stumps his toe and yells "SH*T!!!" if you stumped your toe in France and yelled "SH*T!" in French they would think your were crazy. Because their common word in usage for that type of thing is "WH*RE!" which if you stumped your toe in the USA and yelled "WH*RE!" people would think you were crazy.

It's not that Americans are dumb and foreigners are smarter. They mess up and rearrange their own language just like we do. For example take a foreign post, slap it in babelfish and translate it. Half the time it can't translate every other word or gets the whole post messed up. Because what the literal translation is, and what they were saying are two different things.
O.K., where are the proper spelling and grammar mafia on this one?

BTW ecto, some of us don't yell s**t when we "stump" our toes, some of us yell "w**re", and some of us yell " !@#$%&*(%$#!!!"
Old 08-24-2006, 09:05 AM
Spitfire222

ORIGINAL: Ectomorph26
I was talking to a french girl once and I'm always curious about foreign languages. There are some curious differences in words usage vs meaning. For example an American walks across the living room and stumps his toe and yells "SH*T!!!" if you stumped your toe in France and yelled "SH*T!" in French they would think your were crazy. Because their common word in usage for that type of thing is "WH*RE!" which if you stumped your toe in the USA and yelled "WH*RE!" people would think you were crazy.
Ecto, I'm not sure what this French girl was talking about, or if she was messing with you, because I've never heard the swearing with "wh@re" thing. I'm French as well as American, and frequently use the French word for sh*t if I mess up something in the shop! And I know that it would be used by anyone stumping their toe in France! The common word in usage for "sh*t" in French is "merde", and its a very common word, so I don't see any French person thinking you're crazy for saying that.

Ok, back on topic....I don't want to turn this into a Swearing Mafia thread.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:03 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was eating a raw herring sandwich at a stand in Amsterdam. A couple of Dutch guys were there also. This young lady came up and asked us something in French. None of us had a clue. (both raw herring and smoked eel sandwiches are really good. Trust me!)

I was walking down the street in London behind a couple of guys in 3-piece suits, bowlers, and umbrellas. They were talking one of the British dialects and I could understand only an occasional word. I heard good Midwestern American English behind me. It was a couple of brown-skinned guys in white robes.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:23 PM
bonedaddy41
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson

both raw herring and smoked eel sandwiches are really good. Trust me!
You are from Texas!!!! You know that stuff is just fish bait!!!
Old 08-24-2006, 11:47 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bonedaddy41

ORIGINAL: KW_Counter

Bonedaddy,

The purpose of these forums is to pass on information to those in need of help.
In order for someone to be able to help they must understand the question.
If the question is full of misspelled and misused words it makes it hard to understand the question and hard to answer.
It is a courtesy to those you are seeking help from to be as clear and concise as possible.
If the requester is not concerned enough to ask clearly then why should I be concerned enough to spend my time helping them?
Courtesy begets courtesy.

Now, that said. I also don't have time to become a butt and correct other peoples spelling and grammar.
One, I know mine isn't perfect. I do, however, try to use the spell checker (there were 6 errors in this post the first pass).
Two, if others don't care about how they sound it isn't my job to change them.

KW Counter

KW,

I know my example was a bit extreme. However, there are very few posts in the entire archives of RCU that have been too difficult to understand. The anal retentive replies that caused me to start this thread are from people that lambaste and insult people for simple things ... like using "to" instead of "too" ... or "there" for "their" ... or spell "their" as "thier". If we are going to insult people from Clovis, NM because they cannot spell “neoprene†correctly then we should require posts by people from Keelung, Taiwan to be as concise. There are some people that seem to do nothing but insult. Why, in a discussion on Robart retracts should we have to deal with some jerk constantly pointing out that this word or that is not correct? IF we are in fact intelligent enough to spell and construct sentences correctly, are we not intelligent enough to understand as well when things are not quite right? It should not require a Doctorate in Literary History to post on RCU and not be treated like a member of a sub-species. You have to admit that my second example is beyond any that you have seen and it was still understandable. I challenge anybody to find a REAL post in any forum currently on RCU that is written so poorly that it cannot be understood. I am not talking about a post that says “I broke how fix?â€. I am talking about a post that contains words misspelled so bad and sentence structure so poor that it cannot be understood.

If you require any posts be able to pass a post-graduate English professor’s approval before you reply to it … you will reply to nothing.

OKAY, THATS ENOUGH HERE, FROM NOW ON THE CLOVIS GUYS WILL REFER TO ANYTHING THEY CANNOT SPELL AS "THAT STUFF!"
Old 08-25-2006, 12:59 AM
BasinBum

If someone is is using another's lack of spelling or grammar skills as an argument to prove they are wrong about a specific topic it is just an ad homen attack that has no logical reasoning behind it. If you are to discount someone's opinion based on their lack of writing skills that is your perogative and something to consider as part of the B.S. filter that you need to sift through forum discussions.

When RCU had a working spell checker it was much easier to correct your mistakes. I can understand how some find it tedious to spell check and how the gifted spellers might loose patience with those that are less gramatically adept as they.

Ultimately, when accusing someone of being a dumbass you should consider more than just their ability to spell.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:16 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Yeh, I have always been a very good at spelling but i cannot type to save my life. So sometimes I fix it and other times I just leave it alone.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:24 PM
bonedaddy41

Don't tell anybody ... but I was raised ... in .... Portales
Old 08-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: daveopam

ORIGINAL: Mike Bogh

Hideho all,
I will risk the redundant and post without reading everyone else's reply.
To whom this offends, pardon.

I agree, that this place should be a fun place to come, by attraction rather than promotion.

Here's my take:
I always try to use basic grammar and spelling to show others respect.
Sure, I misspell words all the time, one here, one there...a mistake is a mistake and no spelling Nazi should give you grief over these errors when they occur from time to time.

I don't usually use spell check, (obviously), only when I'm on a rant or doing the diatribe, not because I'm lazy, but because I really do my level best to show all of you the respect I feel you deserve.

Now here's the rub......
Those who consistently exhibit lazy/poor, writing/spelling skills are stating publicly that others don't really matter.
OK, matter isn't the best choice here...fine, we don't matter enough for some to take the time to at the very least proof their post before hitting the submit button.

I have a friend and his wife who have been chronically late for seemingly every event we have attended for 7 years.
6 months ago I'd had all I could stand, and mentioned to them that people who were late had absolutely no respect for those who were waiting on them.

Well, they finally spoke to me again a few weeks ago, [sm=wink_smile.gif] and mentioned that they hadn't been late for anything......in months.

And these folks are in their 50's friends......so there's hope for all of us....

Please take this in the spirit in which it was written, that is a positive way to treat others, quietly.
Now here is my rub and my original point. I can not change what I did in the past or who I am today. I can only do the best with what I have and sometimes I get in a hurry and forget the spell check. For this you label me rude,lazy and disrespectful.
I am not trying to start a fight and maybe I should not use you as an example. However your post is a reflection of what I was talking about.

David
Well David, it is clear that you DID NOT read my above post.
If you HAD, you would have seen the part that I have highlighted in BOLD.
YOU were neither labled rude, lazy OR disrespectful.
My comment was to those who consistantly exibit those habits.
Perhaps now, after reading my post completely, (oh, forgot the comprehending part), it may not be a reflection of what you are talking about, eh David?
Old 08-25-2006, 06:15 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I am going to leave this alone and leave you with the last jab.

David
Old 08-26-2006, 12:01 AM
limey kenny

yous guys watch it wit da mafia stuff ,dares still some room
wit jimmy h.[8D][>:]
Old 08-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Cyclic Hardover

ORIGINAL: bonedaddy41

Don't tell anybody ... but I was raised ... in .... Portales

As I recall, originally the name of the town was "Clevis."
Old 08-27-2006, 10:21 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

When RCU had a working spell checker it was much easier to correct your mistakes. I can understand how some find it tedious to spell check and how the gifted spellers might loose patience with those that are less gramatically adept as they.
That is the problem with relying on spell checkers. The word "loose" is spelled correctly, but I doubt it was the intended word. That doesn't bother me. Leaving out an "m" in grammatically doesn't bother me. When someone constantly spells "the" incorrectly, that does bother me. I read a very long post that used the word "teh" way too many times. I have a hard time believing that anyone does not know the correct spelling of that word. If you don't take the time to at least re-read what you have written, that just shows laziness.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:38 PM
TimC

When I see a post where even words like "the" are spelled wrong, I think of my friend who is dyslexic. He is of above average intelligence, but has a real problem with written words. He said he was hungry and looking for a pizza place. He thought he had found one but the sign had said plaza.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:08 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

teh is a typo, not a spelling error IMHO....and yu is just too fast typing for 'you'...
Old 08-28-2006, 11:16 AM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: tailskid

teh is a typo, not a spelling error IMHO....and yu is just too fast typing for 'you'...
You are correct, as usual Jerry. I find these all the time when I'm blazing on the keyboard.
Spell checker will catch those and correct all of them with one click. BTW, the spell check feature on RCU works fine, it is just a wee bit slower than some to apply.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:27 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mike said: "You are correct, as usual Jerry."

WOW!!!!!! You just made my day
Old 08-28-2006, 01:49 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Eye think u r all so fu-knee.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:54 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I suspect that a good percentage of the misspelled words and brutal grammar is deliberate in an effort to appear macho since often the folks who speak and write more correctly are perceived as nerds. I doubt that Dan Dierdorf or Howie Long are nerds, and they both speak very well and probably write well also.
I have sometimes wondered if the folks who do this deliberately, if they do, also deliberately build their planes sloppily so as not to appear too meticulous. I suspect not. I also think that just as much effort should be put into speaking or writing as is put into building an RC airplane--do the best job you can. After all, anything that is worth doing is worth doing right.
Please notice that I am stressing doing the best job of which you are capable. If you have done that and the language is still butchered, so be it. However, I believe the folks who say that a butchered post does not carry the same weight as a well written one does probably have a point.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:11 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Well. I just got DSL today. My spelling may not be any better now, but will sure be faster!!!!!