Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Online Spelling Mafia

Old 08-21-2006, 05:37 PM
bonedaddy41
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Online Spelling Mafia

Ok folks, I know this has been mentioned before but things are getting out of hand AGAIN!!

People need to remember - this is a forum for discussion of a topic we all enjoy - RC Modeling. This is not meant as a place to expound on your particular level of intelligence and your ability to spell “zymurgy“. If you have to look that word up to make sure I spelled it correctly then you should NEVER complain about the way somebody else spells in their posts. Things are meant to be easy and friendly for us all. If somebody mistakenly misuses “there” for “they’re” or “their” and you have a difficult time figuring out what was actually meant, maybe you are the one that needs the help and not the poster. If you really believe that each post must be worded and spelled in a precise fashion then I suggest we make a new rule right here and now. From hence forth, all discussions will be conducted using only PROPER 16th century English. By PROPER I do not mean the gutter English of the streets of England in the 1500’s but the PROPER English used in the courts. If you need guidance you may refer to your handy King James version of The Holy Bible. You may even use your copy of The Complete Works of William Shakespeare. After all, if we are going to be total buttheads about it we should at least be educated buttheads. Then the next time Barney needs help repairing the firewall after an aborted takeoff it will at least be “flowery”.

My Accomplished Masters. I pray thou art in good health and thy experience might encompass my need. Behold, as I attempted to begin flight, nought knowing of whence the terra firma separations were, did remove the firewall structure from whence it once was. Alas, poor dowel pins! They held it not, Horatio. Twas too much for them to bear. If thou dost possess the knowledge and experience related to restoration of wood of dissimilar porosity steep with oil, I would pronounce my thanks and bestow blessing of thou name to the King. Be Well. Bernard.

I don’t know. I still prefer:

hay guys I need yur hep. I toar the firewall outta my avistar when I hit a crack in the runaway. The wood is oil soaked. whuts the best way to fix it? I would shure appresheate yur hep. tanks man. barney

Of course there are other options. I have been in the IT Industry for 25+ years and we can choose from other languages. C, C++, C#, Pascal (UCSD or Turbo), Delphi, Java, J++, J#, COBOL, FORTRAN, ASM, RPG, PL1. Then I could join the ranks of the buttheads and correct everybody’s syntax errors.

Let's keep it real ... and keep it fun.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:56 PM
JNorton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Online Spelling Mafia

LMAO Good post.
John
Old 08-21-2006, 06:04 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wo kneeds a spelcker anyway?
Old 08-21-2006, 06:11 PM
ArCeeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Excellent! [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 08-21-2006, 06:13 PM
Jimmbbo

Now, don't you be havin' me on, wanker... Good one!
Old 08-21-2006, 06:18 PM
afineman

Hey All

I spell really bad ( it's a dyslexic thing) and BOY do I get crap for it, BUT this was what I did.

Get the Google tool bar, it checks the spelling of what ever text field you are typing in and gives you possiable choices, of my online buds use it and love it.

This works for me

Brent
Old 08-21-2006, 07:41 PM
skyesdad
My Feedback: (1)

ROFLMAO

Great job Bonedaddy! Whilst thou art expounding, thou art procrastinating! Get thou backside back to work! Love, Skyesmom
Old 08-21-2006, 07:55 PM
drone pilot

Bonedaddy.... Excellent.......and it appears that others agree. If the point is made, who cares how the word is spelled? Besides, it is sometimes fun trying to figure out the correct spelling.[8D] Cliff
Old 08-22-2006, 09:05 AM
scottrc

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm someone who types with my thumbs and get corrected for it. Great post.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:27 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I am a product of a wasted youth. I sometimes forget to use the spell check function on this site.
Your post was great. I get sick of people thinking they are smarter than me because they have more education.

Thanks for a funny and point full post, David
Old 08-22-2006, 11:17 AM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: daveopam

I am a product of a wasted youth. I sometimes forget to use the spell check function on this site.
Your post was great. I get sick of people thinking they are smarter than me because they have more education.

Thanks for a funny and point full post, David
David,

You're absolutely correct that education doesn't necessarily mean intelligence. The opposite is true of course!

However, the perception one gets when seeing poorly executed grammar and spelling is that the writer just isn't very smart. That is quite unfortunate and yes, it's making assumptions about people but as the saying goes "you can never remake a first impression."

bonedaddy41, your post is very funny and made me laugh. Your point is well taken even if I cannot agree completely.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:19 AM
Tripower455

I have no issues with mispelled words, typos or incorrect grammar, as long as the gist of the post is understandable. I swear that sometimes, folks type a long winded post, and after reading it several times, there is no way to tell what stance the person is taking, because the spelling, punctuation and grammar is so poor!
Old 08-22-2006, 12:21 PM
jettstarblue

I leik it when people cant spell...
Old 08-22-2006, 01:14 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I object to the term "Mafia"

Old 08-22-2006, 03:14 PM
Jim Thomerson

I take it you are advocating the continued degradation of Western Culture. Well, I hated my 6th grade spelling teacher, so I am on your side from time to time. [&o]
Old 08-22-2006, 03:15 PM
KW_Counter

Bonedaddy,

The purpose of these forums is to pass on information to those in need of help.
In order for someone to be able to help they must understand the question.
If the question is full of misspelled and misused words it makes it hard to understand the question and hard to answer.
It is a courtesy to those you are seeking help from to be as clear and concise as possible.
If the requester is not concerned enough to ask clearly then why should I be concerned enough to spend my time helping them?
Courtesy begets courtesy.

Now, that said. I also don't have time to become a butt and correct other peoples spelling and grammar.
One, I know mine isn't perfect. I do, however, try to use the spell checker (there were 6 errors in this post the first pass).
Two, if others don't care about how they sound it isn't my job to change them.

KW Counter
Old 08-22-2006, 03:37 PM
saramos

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I object to the term "Mafia"

Whatch ya gonna do? Forget abaout et!
Old 08-22-2006, 04:14 PM
tukkus

the h3ll with the "Online Spelling Mafia", we need the "Spelling Nazi's" to save us from some posts
Old 08-22-2006, 04:39 PM
bonedaddy41

ORIGINAL: KW_Counter

Bonedaddy,

The purpose of these forums is to pass on information to those in need of help.
In order for someone to be able to help they must understand the question.
If the question is full of misspelled and misused words it makes it hard to understand the question and hard to answer.
It is a courtesy to those you are seeking help from to be as clear and concise as possible.
If the requester is not concerned enough to ask clearly then why should I be concerned enough to spend my time helping them?
Courtesy begets courtesy.

Now, that said. I also don't have time to become a butt and correct other peoples spelling and grammar.
One, I know mine isn't perfect. I do, however, try to use the spell checker (there were 6 errors in this post the first pass).
Two, if others don't care about how they sound it isn't my job to change them.

KW Counter
KW,

I know my example was a bit extreme. However, there are very few posts in the entire archives of RCU that have been too difficult to understand. The anal retentive replies that caused me to start this thread are from people that lambaste and insult people for simple things ... like using "to" instead of "too" ... or "there" for "their" ... or spell "their" as "thier". If we are going to insult people from Clovis, NM because they cannot spell “neoprene” correctly then we should require posts by people from Keelung, Taiwan to be as concise. There are some people that seem to do nothing but insult. Why, in a discussion on Robart retracts should we have to deal with some jerk constantly pointing out that this word or that is not correct? IF we are in fact intelligent enough to spell and construct sentences correctly, are we not intelligent enough to understand as well when things are not quite right? It should not require a Doctorate in Literary History to post on RCU and not be treated like a member of a sub-species. You have to admit that my second example is beyond any that you have seen and it was still understandable. I challenge anybody to find a REAL post in any forum currently on RCU that is written so poorly that it cannot be understood. I am not talking about a post that says “I broke how fix?”. I am talking about a post that contains words misspelled so bad and sentence structure so poor that it cannot be understood.

If you require any posts be able to pass a post-graduate English professor’s approval before you reply to it … you will reply to nothing.
Old 08-22-2006, 04:48 PM
bonedaddy41

ORIGINAL: tukkus

the h3ll with the "Online Spelling Mafia", we need the "Spelling Nazi's" to save us from some posts
To prove my point, you misused the apostrophe in “Nazi’s” unless you did not complete the statement in your quotes. The plural of “Nazi” is “Nazis”. Nazi’s is the possessive of a single Nazi. The possessive of more than one Nazi or the entire Nazi group is Nazis’.

Old 08-22-2006, 05:03 PM
Ectomorph26

Well if I'm too lazy to bother spell checking my words then I'm too lazy to go through the extra step of having a program spell check it for me. lol

A5 l0n6 a5 w3 a11 d0n't 5tart 5p3ak1n6 l33t 1 th1nk w3'11 b3 okay.

Translation for those not savvy...

"As long as we don't start speaking leet I think we'll be okay."

I hate grammar nazi's though almost as bad as safety nazi's.

I used to drive my english teacher nuts because I would start a sentence and keep on writing non-stop like this for three or four pages untill I had finished whatever it was I was writing such as a thesis, or book report, etc and just never check up I don't know what her deal was but for some reason she would always put these red dots all over my paper and tell me my grammar was incorrect which drove me nuts because I thought it was well written and completely understandable.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:07 PM
bonedaddy41

ORIGINAL: Ectomorph26

Well if I'm too lazy to bother spell checking my words then I'm too lazy to go through the extra step of having a program spell check it for me. lol

A5 l0n6 a5 w3 a11 d0n't 5tart 5p3ak1n6 l33t 1 th1nk w3'11 b3 okay.

Translation for those not savvy...

"As long as we don't start speaking leet I think we'll be okay."

I hate grammar nazi's though almost as bad as safety nazi's.

I used to drive my english teacher nuts because I would start a sentence and keep on writing non-stop like this for three or four pages untill I had finished whatever it was I was writing such as a thesis, or book report, etc and just never check up I don't know what her deal was but for some reason she would always put these red dots all over my paper and tell me my grammar was incorrect which drove me nuts because I thought it was well written and completely understandable.
ROFLMAO!!!!!!

He must be right because he is from Oxford!!!!
Old 08-22-2006, 05:22 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I should have also mentioned in my first post. The only thing worse than my spelling is my typing. When you type using only your index fingers. The letters can be laid down in the wrong order. I still appreciate the original post. It was funny and right on point.

Thanks again, David
Old 08-22-2006, 05:26 PM
Spitfire222

I don't know about you guys, but if someone tries to respond to a question I might have, or tries to offer advice, and has terrible grammar and spelling, I personally wouldn't be inclined to take that person as seriously as someone who writes correctly. While you may be right in the statements that education does not necessarily amount to intelligence, that can be hard to tell on a forum where the only means of communication you may have with someone is through the written word. If I read someone's message, for example in an online forum, that's loaded with spelling and grammar errors (not typos) and don't know the person myself, I tend to subconsciously make an assumption about their intelligence level. That is the consequence of using impersonal online forums, and that's why I look past these mistakes and go on reading/browsing. I agree that it can be annoying to have someone correct grammar and spelling in the middle of a build thread or engine discussion; I dont feel the need to bash someone for unrelated thread matters and interrupt the thread.

However, it seems like the education program in this country has at least improved a little bit. My teachers would and still do go crazy if a student didn't/doesn't use there/their/they're correctly, and they would pretty much want to kill you if you spell "a lot" as "alot". It's two words people! I sometimes find it pretty surprising at how bad people spell, thats all. But I keep it to myself. And before anyone says anything smart, I'm studying to be an engineer, not an English professor.

Bonedaddy, with your excellent penmanship, it's ironic to see you are the thread starter here. Your first post was very funny! While I agree with what you are saying, I'm one of those people who would like to see better spelling, etc in these forums. However, I'm not going to b*tch about it!
Old 08-22-2006, 06:30 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend

I really couldn't agree less with the OP. Yeah, I do make spelling and grammatical errors, but because of the "spelling mafia" I make the extra effort to check my posts for any obvious flaws. I've been on some forums where there is absolutely no regard for spelling and grammar and I have to say they are difficult to read. One thing I really like about this site is the care most people put into their posts. I'm not one to correct someone on their bad grammar. I wouldn't reply to a post just to say, "hey learn how to spell - jerk." Chances are that if the spelling and grammar are that bad, I wouldn't respond at all. I really don't care if there are a few spelling mistakes or misuse of homonyms, but I really can't stand a post that shows absolutely no regard for the language. I apologize if I offended anyone, I just don't want to see this site degrade to the level of some of the forums I've seen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.