Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

a few questions for the admin

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

a few questions for the admin

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 05:09 PM
jack01
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a few questions for the admin

Do moderators count? If so, here's something about me:

My name is Jack Estes and I fly with the Memphis Prop Busters model aircraft club in Memphis Tennessee. The Memphis Prop Busters club is an AMA Gold Leader Club, and in fact, the only Gold Leader Club in Tennessee(unless a new one showed up in the last few months) I have about 15 airplanes and 1 helicopter. I've been flying for 6 years total, but I just got really active 3 years ago(this is the start of my third active season) I like to fly all kinds of planes and my helicopter. I design websites so I'm currently the webmaster for my club and an instructor. Here is the club website in case you need directions to come and visit, or whatever else: http://www.mempropbusters.com
I'd love to have you come and fly with me for a weekend or something.
Old 04-16-2002, 06:29 PM
mrtim
My Feedback: (1)

Default A brief history of mrtim

Hi verymadmax, I will give you some of my background as well.

My name is Tim Stephens, 37 years old and I live in Prestonsburg, KY (right in the middle of the mountains) and flying space is rare. I learned to fly in Atsugi and Yokohama Japan in 1985 while in the navy. I Was an Aviation Electronics Technician and worked on the F-14, F-18, E-2, P-3 and about every other aircraft that the Navy Used.
I have traveled and flown RC all over the world. I got out in 1989 and brought the hobby home with me. I am Founder and President of the Jenny Wiley RC Flyers club and a Member of the Tri-State Model Flyers in Cannonsburg, KY. I maintain the club website for Jenny Wiley RC Flyers ( http://web.netburner.net/mrtim ) and also publish the club newsletter.
I have been building planes as long as I have been flying them. I have been flying helicopters for over 3 years now and enjoy helis as much as planks. I have built at least 40 planes and gliders and flown many more than that. I have only built 6 helis.
I am an AMA Introductory pilot and club instructor and love to help the new people at the club.
I am also an Expert Reviewer on RCAirport.com and currently have 6 planes and a raptor with 2 more planes under construction and 4 gliders on the way to build.

I am an Electronics Technician by trade with 18 years of experience and schooling.

I hope this gives some insight into my experience and who I am, I am here to help in any way I can, Feel free to email me anytime.
Old 04-19-2002, 07:30 PM
arw9fmw
My Feedback: (4)

Default Glad to see RCOnline back!!

My name is Jack Mathias. I live in Evansville Indiana. I have been in modeling for over 65 years. AMA number 7654 received in 1937. Been in RC since 1949 - even before that but without much success. Have a General Class Amateur Radio license - call sign is W9FMW. Flew full size planes for 15 years. Logged about 1800 hours in Cessna 210's. Owned my own 210. Have Private and Instrument ratings. Three kids - all grown now and out of the nest.

One request I would like to make of the NEW RCOnline:

There are a few unscrupulous manufacturers, dealers, or people who advertise and sell inferior merchandise. Some of them are knowingly dishonest. Others just have poor quality merchandise. The way most people learn about them is by getting burnt themselves. I have been 3 times. If someone had told me it would have avoided painful experiences and saved my hard earned dollars.

There must be someway to allow people to post their experiences (good or bad) without having the Administrators of the board deleting anything that sounds critical of a manufacturer, dealer, product, etc. I know these kind of threads can turn ugly and be "flames". The best thread I have seen concerned the practices of "Glennis Aircraft" and their products. It was on this board. It did get a little rough but the manufacturer had his chance for rebuttal which he took. The thread finally got pretty rough and was terminated by the moderator.

Why not set up a seperate Forum just for this purpose where people could make their posts without fear of having them deleted because of the judgementof the moderator. Seems some of the moderators delete various postings and not others depending on his/her peronsal preferences for manufacturer, dealer or whatever. Call the forum "The good and the bad" or "The good and the not so good". General rules of conduct could be setup.

This sort of thing would go a long way towards weading out the unscrupulous. The criticized would have an equal opportunity to defend themselves. You rarely see a GOOD manufacture, dealer, etc. taken to task. Examples: Bob Violett Models, Tower Hobbies, Don's Hobbies, Horizon Hobbies and many, many more. There are only a few bad apples in the barrel - let's get them identified so all can avoid getting stung by them.

Good luck to the new operators of RCOline!!
Old 04-19-2002, 11:08 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Default good idea!

yeah, sounds great i say we do that, call it "the good, the bad, the ugly forum
Old 04-21-2002, 03:51 PM
FIVESQUARE
Banned

Default Good bad and ugly SHORTMAN

Shortman,
How orginal, That as you know has already been used.
I am really curious to know your experience.
As a Mod I am sure you have a lot.....Tell us about your planes and some of your background.
Thanks,
DOC
Old 04-22-2002, 09:16 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Default About me...

Well I'm 14, been flying for 2 years now. Right now I'm finishing a Sig Something Extra, I have to install hinges and radio equipment. Have an OS 70 that I am going to use to power it. I had the os 70 in my trainer and man was that interesting. LOVE THE HOBBY. I plan on getting a topcap anytime now, waiting for my dad's approval. I have flown a couple other planes, not mine, but friends. Uproar and me109. I'm really into the funfly/profile planes basically because thats all I can afford for now.