Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Would you fly a gaint scale RC plane?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Old 10-22-2006, 11:39 PM
Avistar 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you fly a gaint scale RC plane?

One time I was in a local hobby bench here Arizona and then I saw it the biggest dam RC model plane I had ever saw, it was the size of toyta car and had gas engine not nitro the prop was a big as a coffee table and the wing span was big , now here the question Would you fly that that plane? do you feel brave enough to fly it? do you feel confent enough to fly it?
Could you afford it a large gaint scale plane, and will you take it to fly it?
Or would you stick with your 40 and 60 scale RC models?
Old 10-23-2006, 02:38 AM
Grampaw

Default RE: Would you fly a gaint scale RC plane?

If offered a chance to fly it, I'd decline. I have found that most times I have flown larger models than the ones I usually fly, those in the 60 to 70 inch span range, I am not comfortable. The first few minutes with the bigger one, I will spend getting the feel of it. Then I will start to fly it in the same manner as I would one of my own, putting it through some manuevers that I put mine into. That would be mistake # 2, #1 would be to even fly it! The larger model will not respond the same way as mine under similar circumstances, and I will get into a "tight spot" (which happened one time) where I will not get it corrected as quickly as my models that I am used to. Result, a broken airplane. Thanks, but I will just watch as you fly it.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:54 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

I already do!
bigger flies better.. (assuming it is a quality plane that is set up properly....)
Once you get over the high dollar pucker factor.....big planes are worth every penny....
Old 10-23-2006, 07:15 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Would I fly it?

In a heartbeat!
Old 10-23-2006, 08:35 AM
rcmiket

Remember one thing...... Little airplanes flit... Big airplanes FLY. There really easier than the small ones.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:37 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it boils down to your confidence level. If it is going to make you nervous to fly it then you should not do it. Nerves=mistakes. That being said they do fly better for the most part. The biggest thing I have is 1/4 scale. I have however flown two 35% Carden Caps and a third scale Laser. The Carden Caps were an eye opening experience. I could not believe the difference. On the other side of the coin. I flew a 8' wing span fleet bipe for I guy and lost it. This was a scale fabric covered monster. We never did figure out what went wrong with the plane. It was a total loss. Even bent the crank in the engine. That made me feel about 2" tall. It was not my fault and that helped a little but I still was shaken up by it. The plane's owner took it better than I did.
Anyway if you decide to do it keep in mind the risk. They are all going in some day.

David
Old 10-23-2006, 02:44 PM
redfox435cat

Personalay I started to get into stuff that big but looked at the cost and said screw it and started learning to fly real one. I have flown a couple 35% edges a laser and an 1/4 extera 300, even got a couple minute on an 18 foot B-17, that was the **** and the bigger planes do fly better, though the B-17 did like to crab quit a bit, they didn't get the engine offset quit right and the rudder was too small but flew quit well despite it. The bigger stuff is usually slower and not as responsive. If given the chance I'd never pass up flying something that big.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:49 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

I would, do and have flown giant scale. Its a blast.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:06 PM
yellerchamp
My Feedback: (42)

Let me think about this, someone else's plane and fuel Actually I am working on a giant scale now and cant wait.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:43 PM
Charlie P.

Sure! Especially if it was someone else's. You buy it, I'll fly it. Now if you're talking biplane . . . EVEN BETTER.

Google up IMAA and see what some of us are flying.

Bigger flies better.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:06 PM
NorfolkSouthern

Although "bigger flies better", I wouldn't have any use for it. First, I would need a 5th wheel horse trailer and a giant gas-guzzling pickup truck or SUV. I would probably need a three car garage to store it in. I would have to learn how to play golf, then join a country club. Then I would have to take up watching Monday Night Football. Then, I would need a motor home for my annual visits to Yosemite and Yellowstone quite obviously. The grand-kids would have to be in college while I move to Scottsdale, AZ. Oh, and I forgot to mention: It costs enough for me to keep my Nexstar in operable condition, let alone trying to keep my refrigerator stocked. And, it costs even MORE should I fly it often enough to keep my skills up to par! I mean, geeze. Why should I bother with a big, giant, huge, overbearingly gluttonous to my wallet model airplane when renting an instructor and a full-scale Citabria would be considerably cheaper? OK, how about this: If it's a UAV that's owned by my employer, and I do it to make money to pay the bills with, then it would make a bit more sense.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 10-23-2006, 09:29 PM
Charlie P.

I would have to learn how to play golf, then join a country club. Then I would have to take up watching Monday Night Football.
Ewwwww. There's no need to go to those extremes. Golf and Monday Night Football happen when you get old and sedate, not from larger wingspans.

Gas engines are cheaper than glow four-stroke once they get up to 1.20 size or so. Find an old gas trimmer or mangled chainsaw with a 45cc engine at a garage sale. A 90" sport kit like a Roadrunner is $140. Build it "upside down and it's a squint-scale Piper Brave cropduster Gas & oil is 1/5 the cost of glow fuel. The 72 oz servos are the only bigger than glow outlay. That, and needing more covering. That, and the 18" props . . . and 7" tires . . . and the redundant batery setup . . . and the . . .

Honey, is the game on yet? Now where's my putter?

The guys that are flying 53% 540's two feet off the ground with the nose up in the air. They're nuts. Why buy an engine at all when you can hang the wheels of the plane over a clothesline and do the same "stunts"?
Old 10-24-2006, 06:43 AM
jettstarblue

Yes.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:56 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Many of my club mates are comfortable with me maidening there planes.
I use to be nervous in doing it, not I just make sure everything is ok then away she goes.
Flying a big plane is no different that a smaller one.
Many times it is easier if it is set up correctly.
If you think you are going to crash it, you need to figure out why and fix it.
Nerves is natural and can usually be fixed after the first couple of flights.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:41 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

I would fly it in a heart beat and then bring it home and put it on the front lawn for storage as I have no shop space left !!! Good Luck, Dave
Old 10-24-2006, 02:35 PM
Roquewj
My Feedback: (4)

By all means, YES !!!

I have been flying Giant Scale R/C since 1980. I love them.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:42 PM
marwen1
My Feedback: (6)

I have never flown anything larger than 96"

That being the case, it was a scratchbuild, 1941 set of plans from the normal magazine.

The AIRHOPPER. In fact it had a GULL WING configurtion

When I got back into this hobby a few years ago, I bought a set of plans from balsa usa.

It was a a FORCE ONE -- DELTA. I had built one about 20 years prior to this.

So I felt comfortable building what I already knew!

I reduced the plans the 18"

TALK ABOUT HARD TO FLY!

HOLY COW BATMAN!

all the coltrols wer so critical --- I was really scared

ONE FLIGHT I parked --- while it was still in one piece!

marwen1