Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Is Nitromethane a drug or something?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Is Nitromethane a drug or something?

Old 11-02-2006, 02:53 AM
Wild Foamy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Nitromethane a drug or something?

hi guys

i havent been running my savage for a while now, but i keep getting this craving for that sweet nitro smell when you seriously burn rubber... ive even noticed that my german teachers perfume smells like nitro exhaust...

am i going mad? is nitro addictive?
Old 11-02-2006, 03:26 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Default RE: Is Nitromethane a drug or something?

That is an interesting question. Although I don't feel that Nitromethane is in any way addicting, many people just like the smell of a two-stroke glow engine, perhaps modelers experience that the same way most people experience the smell of new carpet or a new car. This goes especially with exhaust from Cox .049s. Much of that is due from some molecules that work in similar ways to food smells. It's not an unpleasant smell, but something similar to what someone experiences when close to a bakery or where peanuts are being roasted. The difference, however, is that the smells from two stroke exhaust does not arouse apatite. Much of it may bring back memories of earlier periods, or even enhance a preference for a given engine or device. Some of my experience: I'll just say that I would prefer an older two-stroke outboard motor for boating over a 4-stroke simply because I find the scent of the two-stroke considerably more pleasant, with less of a burning smell. A two-stroke outboard obviously sounds better too. Which, of course, brings me to the discussion of glow preferences. I like smaller glow engines that burn Castor oil better than larger ones that burn only nitro, simple because I find the exhaust more pleasant to live with. I don't care for electrics, because that type of modeling doesn't give me the types of sensations that I prefer while flying. I hope some of this helps.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 11-02-2006, 06:32 AM
Dr1Driver

I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

Dr.1
Old 11-02-2006, 09:42 AM
Charlie P.

Nah. I burned glow fuel with zero % nitrometh for years and it smells just as good. I think guys just like to say "nitro". If you ask me it's the castor oil that's addictive.

Keeps you regular.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:35 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Burning ANY fuel is addicting....especially when you hold the transmitter!!!!
Old 11-06-2006, 07:28 AM
B.L.E.

ORIGINAL: Charlie P.

Nah. I burned glow fuel with zero % nitrometh for years and it smells just as good. I think guys just like to say "nitro". If you ask me it's the castor oil that's addictive.

Keeps you regular.
Yep, the smell comes from the oil. The exhaust of nitro burning dragsters does not smell anything like glow engine exhaust. Note the absence of mufflers on these cars. That is because they use quiet four stroke engines that don't need mufflers.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22365.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	555191  
Old 11-06-2006, 07:46 AM
aimmaintenance

Ya just look at the four guys in the background of the pic, cupping their ears so they can hear better.