Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Buy From TOWER HOBBIES and HORIZON HOBBIES whenever possible please !!!!!!!!!!!

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Buy From TOWER HOBBIES and HORIZON HOBBIES whenever possible please !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-01-2006, 02:29 PM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buy From TOWER HOBBIES and HORIZON HOBBIES whenever possible please !!!!!!!!!!!

I will ask everyone here to support Tower Hobbies and Horizon Hobbies whenever possible. These two companies are facing intense competition from the hundreds of little mom and pop hobby shops out there and they need our support. Tower and Horizon are a group of hard working people just trying to give us a fair price on hobby supplies while making a living, where would we be without them ??? Hundreds and Hundreds of little shops are literally ganging up on these two companies, and they need all our support to stay afloat. So whenever you buy anything, please remember Tower and Horizon.

Thank You,

JettPilot
Old 12-01-2006, 02:44 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Buy From TOWER HOBBIES and HORIZON HOBBIES whenever possible please !!!!!!!!!!!

It is happening everywhere. Small mom and pop stores are beating up on Wal Mart, K-Mart, Target, Best Buy and others, all over the country. Some are even offering their employees benefit packages that the big box stores cannot possibly compete with. We must band together to save the big box stores
Old 12-01-2006, 02:52 PM
Ken Erickson

Default RE: Buy From TOWER HOBBIES and HORIZON HOBBIES whenever possible please !!!!!!!!!!!

What is this, backwards day?

Ken
Old 12-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Charlie P.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those bass burgers! Same thing almost happened to Lowe's and Home Depot. All those dirty neighboorhood hardware stores with the "O" ring you needed for a 1956 Whatzit way back in some dark corner, all dusty. And then they'd charge you some odd amount like 37ΒΆ for it! Who wants to carry change instead of getting two Chinese "O" rings that almost fit in a nice blisterwrap for $4.99?
Old 12-01-2006, 03:06 PM
seanucd2000
My Feedback: (1)

My last visit to the local, and only close hobby shop, went as follows. Its a chain store to give everyone a hint of what the name of it is:

I want to try some lower nitro fuel in my ST 90 engine. Lets see, they have 15% Wildcat, which I have 8 gallons of in the shed, or 20% car fuel. Nothing lower than that. And seriously, only one style of plane fuel? Oh well, I'll just grab a new prop so this drive isn't totally wasted. I need to try a 15x4. Huh, don't have one of those. OK, how about a 14x4, that'll be pretty close. Nope, nothing bigger than 10"! Oh well, they HAVE to have a standard 40 size engine mount I need for another place, right? WRONG! I have been in there half a dozen times looking for what I needed, and have not once actually purchased something because they did not have it.

Tower (and other online vendors) get me the parts quicker than I can find time to go to the hobby shop, the prices are always better, and they have everything I could ever need. The best part? I can stay at home and keep on building while someone else brings it to me! And, when UPS beats up a roll of monokote, or breaks something, I just email Tower and they send me a replacement without even asking how it was damaged.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Scrape

My local hobby shop always tells me they can order it for me
Old 12-01-2006, 03:28 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

I agree, we need to support the guys who are there for us.

In the town I used to live in, Home Depot wanted to put in a store. This was met with fierce opposition by a local "pop" hardware shop that was a mile from the location Home Depot had purchased. Well, everyone jumped on the small hardware stores bandwagon and ended up causing Home Depot to sell the land. A week after that was done, the "pop" hardware store announced he was retiring and closed up shop.[sm=punching.gif]

The land now has a major drug store on it...right across the street from another major drug store, which is connected to a strip mall with another drug store in it.

Want an aspirin, no problem! Need a washer, gotta drive through traffic to the other side of the city. [:@]

Of course, my LHS does do a good job for us local modelers, so we will probably continue to support them along with Towers and Horizon...I need another job for all this support!
Old 12-01-2006, 03:38 PM
theradioflyer

This is crazy[&:] I love my LHS www.hobby-sports.com and I hope they thrive. I can drive 10 minutes and get what I need instead of waiting for the big brown truck. They also sell mostly horizon stuff with free shipping to everyone. I also order from Tower, who is Great Planes, which most hobby shops sell as well. So, if you don't support your local not only will you be hurting yourself on the quick parts, but you will also be hurting Tower(Great Planes) and Horizon.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:46 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

I use Tower or Horizon only if I cannot get my item somewhere else. Been at least 3 years or more since I ordered from either one. Someone can always bet their price, and espcially their shipping time and cost!
Old 12-01-2006, 05:52 PM
LANNYBOB

ORIGINAL: seanucd2000

My last visit to the local, and only close hobby shop, went as follows. Its a chain store to give everyone a hint of what the name of it is:

I want to try some lower nitro fuel in my ST 90 engine. Lets see, they have 15% Wildcat, which I have 8 gallons of in the shed, or 20% car fuel. Nothing lower than that. And seriously, only one style of plane fuel? Oh well, I'll just grab a new prop so this drive isn't totally wasted. I need to try a 15x4. Huh, don't have one of those. OK, how about a 14x4, that'll be pretty close. Nope, nothing bigger than 10"! Oh well, they HAVE to have a standard 40 size engine mount I need for another place, right? WRONG! I have been in there half a dozen times looking for what I needed, and have not once actually purchased something because they did not have it.

Tower (and other online vendors) get me the parts quicker than I can find time to go to the hobby shop, the prices are always better, and they have everything I could ever need. The best part? I can stay at home and keep on building while someone else brings it to me! And, when UPS beats up a roll of monokote, or breaks something, I just email Tower and they send me a replacement without even asking how it was damaged.

hilarious. everything i experienced
[sm=lol.gif]
Old 12-01-2006, 06:11 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

ORIGINAL: Ken Erickson

What is this, backwards day?

Ken
I think it is more true than people realise. Many many times the little guy can blow the doors off a large chain. You see it in a lot of places.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:01 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I'll stick with supporting my LHS. I call ahead when I need something, if they don't have it they order it and in few days I go pick it up. SInce I'm in Illinois I still charged sales tax from Tower and Horizon plus I get charged a minimum of $7.95 for shipping no matter how small the order is.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:05 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

That settles it. I saw a guy with three trucks for sale under a big tree in his yard. No need to go buy a new one from the big guy with 200 in stock.

David
Old 12-01-2006, 07:08 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

<serious_mode>

I think the thing that gets forgotten (or never got learned in the first place) is that an LHS...ANY LHS that will try...can offer something no chain or big box store can...a relationship. I suppose there are, without a doubt, participants in this hobby (like any other I've ever pursued) for whom the hobby is about "I want this plane/train/camera/fish/dog/rock/geocache/car, I want it right now, and I want to fly/drive/feed/find it. Period." IMO, however, sharing your love of ____________ is as much a part of the hobby as anything else...sometimes more. I've said it many times about the guys I fly with...we don't do this for the flying, we do it to ive each other grief...the flying's just ammunition.

My LHS (and the other not so L HS up north of town) both have well deserved reputations as genuinely GOOD PEOPLE, who love RC...the shops are great "hangouts" when the weather's bad, and the close one even has a build room, complete with coffee pot and radio. How cool is that?

In my opinion (and, I acknowledge, it's JUST that...personal opinion) I'll pay the "cost" of "We can order that for you" in exchange for the relationship.

</serious_mode>

<in_the_spirit_of_the_thread_mode>

Ya know, it's happening all over. Just the other day, I heard a guy at Conglomo-Mega First National United Bank of American Fidelity talking about how the "local financial institutions" were just running him right out of business, with their silly personal service, and actual humans answering the phone.

What's a giant corporation to do???

</in_the_spirit_of_the_thread_mode>
Old 12-01-2006, 08:01 PM
redfox435cat

That doesn't make any sense anyway you want to look at it. wether you buy it from tower/horizon or the LHS tower/Horizon are making a profit. Were do you think the LHS gets it? Tower is Greatplanes disturbution/hobbyco/OS/Futaba, Horizon is Horizon/JR/Saito distributors.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:58 PM
JettPilot
My Feedback: (6)

I have never seen a hobby shop that is used as a hangout, or that even has a building room, that is definately the exception.

Whenever I go to my LHS, I usually walk out empty handed because they do not have what I need in stock [:@] Tower has 2.99 shipping for small parts, and they carry EVERYTHING I ever need Horizon shipping is more expensive, but when I add up the tax and huge markup of local hobby shops, Horizon is always the better deal. Its easier to get on the net and click on what I need rather than drive 20 miles through traffic, and spending an hour looking for stuff that is not there while they watch me to make sure I dont stick a package of screws under my coat [:'(]

The worst thing is how they gang up on Tower and Horizon, hundreds and hundreds of small shops all over the country. Its just Un-American for such huge numbers of shops to try to drive poor Tower and Horizon out of business. If they ever go, good luck finding anything, and then your LHS will charge three times as much because you will not have the option of mail ordering anymore [sm=crying.gif]

JettPilot
Old 12-01-2006, 09:39 PM
theradioflyer

I guess I don't understand the attack on LHS. They are selling Tower's and Horizon's stuff. Many LHS will go out of their way to help you and save you shipping charges. It's great to have a balance of both. I mostly shop at Home Depot or Menards for my construction needs but I also go to the Mom and Pop shop Nelson's Hardware in Portage MI when I need something right now and I know they can take care of me without making a drive. I get better more personalized service at the small shops. I also know all of they're names and they know me, there is alot to be said about that.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:08 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

maybe you need to move to a better place that has better Hobby Shops?

I really dont get this thread. it makes no sense. You are saying for all to
support online vendors so that the workers have a job. You dont want
private practice businesses to thrive, so they can go out of business, and put
their workers out of work? kinda stupid? support one large conglomerate
yet want to put out small chain businesses instead?

I have two GREAT shops in town. they dont have it, they will the next day.
big deal. they are not more then Tower or Horizon. They order from Horizon,
go figure. I see you have no name, or place that you live in your profile
but "paradise"?

but you do note that Horizon Hobbies is your home page? fishing here, or just
trolling for the fun of it? or just trying to start conversation?

one way or the other, economics is economics. everyone needs to make a living,
and I will support my local business well before supporting some other business in
another state if I cant get it here.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:06 AM
LANNYBOB

are hobby shop owners aware of the changing demands of today's aircraft. all i see in the three hobby shops around me are props for 40 size engines and bins of balsa wood. it's always "no i dont but i can order it" its not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Old 12-02-2006, 12:39 AM
Bob101

ORIGINAL: LANNYBOB

are hobby shop owners aware of the changing demands of today's aircraft. all i see in the three hobby shops around me are props for 40 size engines and bins of balsa wood. it's always "no i dont but i can order it" its not the end of the world but you can see it from here
Where I used to live the one hobby shop was pretty much like that. It was stuck in the early 80's time wise. Props were all of a pattern nature like 14x12 - when I asked for a 12.25 x 3.75 he said they don't even make anything "that stupid". I said maybe you need to stock lower pitch props - and he said "what for - big pitch = big speed"...ummm no one races around here at all - considering his #1 plane that he sold at the time and stocked to no end was the U-Can-Do , and I've personally seen him tell people to get one and get an OS.91 and then sell them a pattern prop for it.....

Thankfully they sell a lot of R/C cars/truck stuff now or they would go under - not that it really would matter last time I went in there they didn't have medium CA...and this is a store that is probably larger than 90% of "hobby stores".

He always said "I can order it for you" as well, which I totally understand on stuff he could never sell, but our club made a list of "common" stuff that are pretty much consumables and he pretty much threw it in their face when they gave it to him - in an effort to help him know what to stock. "We can order it" was appropriate 10+ years ago. Now I can order it just as quick (if not quicker) and get it cheaper as well because he charges extra for ordering and I don't have to pay tax (and the base price is usually cheaper).

He lost his total advantage of being a local store - having items on hand to actually look at, and having someone who knows something about it - which he had neither. Of course I lost my respect for the place about 3 months into the hobby when a guy came in while I was there and wanted "to get into R/C" so the owner sold him a Top Flite Mustang KIT,motor, radio, glue etc...and then when the guy asked where he could fly it he said "oh you can fly it anywhere like a park".
Old 12-02-2006, 10:07 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

Boy, do I have to jump in on this. I have a LHS. I have lunch tables for the guys to hang out. I sell both of these companys. I sell at or below their prices. If I don't have it and order it for you I will promise that the price will be lower then you can get on the internet, And remember if you arn't happy I'm the one you yell at, and I fix it.
And I forgot one thing. I will help you sell your old stuff here in the store. I get 10%. Send your planes to Tower ansd see if they will do the same thing.
I fly what I sell. I can call and talk to tech people for you that you'll will never get to.
I build here in the store, everybody is welcome to help or watch or tell me what I'm doing wrong.
Service, service that is what the LHS is. Some are good at it some are not.
Even here on RCU I don't hide who I am. I'm up front on what I do and will answer any e-mails. Dennis
Old 12-02-2006, 12:25 PM
Tired Old Man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reading the first post made me almost fall laughing off my chair[sm=lol.gif] Do you have any idea of how many hobby shops bit the dirt way back when after Great Planes began absorbing all the small manufacturers that the hobby shops used to buy from? The reason was that Great Planes jumped in and decided how many of what each shop could buy and for how much. They also decided if there were too many shops in a given area and made it difficult via high pricing or parts volumes for the shop they did not support to obtain what they needed. That's why Hobby Shack, now Hobby People, moved away from parts and kits that were handled by Great Planes. The same reason that other shops stopped selling Futaba and OS products. They were now the sole domain of G.P.

Even better was the fact the the shops that ordered parts from Great Planes were forced to compete in sales and pricing with Tower Hobbies, the one stop mail order shopping store owned by Great Planes. It was often that a hobby shop could not sell a product as cheaply as it could be purchased from Tower. It's hard to compete on a retail basis when your supplier is selling the same parts retail at less than you paid for it.

Personally, I'm rather pleased to see what went around come around. I suspect that the next thing you'll see is a bunch of Chinese distributors, the ones that G.P. buys from, start selling direct to the public. By then it will have come full circle and justice will have been served.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:26 PM
LANNYBOB

your one of the few dads toys. your hobby shop is probably full of stuff where others stock stuff from the seventies. if it wasnt for them selling $900 dollars worth of car stuff a month they'd all be out of business. too each is own.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I do 99% of my hobby shopping on the internet. I can sit here in my nice and cozy house and order what I want without ever going outside or driving through all the BS traffic to get to the LHS. I don't pay taxes on orders from Tower. Shipping for $8? Big deal. I spend that much in gas making 2 trips to the LHS and they don't have what I need or if they do it's outrageously priced AND I still gotta pay tax on it.

Tax is 8% here. Spend $100 and your up to $108 with tax. I can get free shipping from Omni on any order of $100 and free shipping from Tower on orders of $150. When was the last time you built a kit and DIDN'T have to make at least 2 or 3 orders of $150 to get it going?

I'm sitting here in my sweatpants and a dirty t-shirt full of epoxy and CA. I'll be sitting here in a pair of shorts and tennis shoes when the UPS guy shows up with my Tower order.

I'll support a LHS only if they have what I need on a consistant basis and charge reasonable prices. They don't have to compete with Tower, but I'm not getting shafted on the price either. Just be reasonable. Carry a selection of epoxy and CA. Keep 5 or 6 glow engines behind the counter and be willing to get parts for them. Have some monokote on the shelf and don't ask me to pay $18/roll for it.

If the LHS sucks and never has anything but 10" Top Flite props and 20% Wildcat fuel--I hope they crash and burn and file bankruptcy. Thats all they deserve. One guy here in Denver didn't even have any epoxy or CA. He had no fuel tubing. He carried 15% fuel for $20/gallon. No balsa selection. About 10 ARFs and not a single kit in the store. No axles or wheels to speak of. All he carried was Airtronics radios and servos. Not a single 4.8V or 6V RX pack in the whole store. His answere to everything was "I can order it. Be here next week" Oh yeah? I can order it too and it'll be here in 3 days.

He was complaining that he couldn't pay the rent on the space. DUH!! He's an idiot. I hope he's living in a box right now, because thats all he deserves.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:45 PM
seanucd2000

DadsToysBG:

If I lived in Bowling Green I can guarantee I would be shopping at your shop. I would love to, in fact. I have been to every hobby shop within two hours or more of my home. I even go to every hobby shop in the area when I travel out of state. Unfortunately there are no DadsToysBG's anywhere remotely near me. Open up a shop here and I'll be there. I can guarantee lots of my other fliers would be too.

You surely sound like the exception, not the rule. You should be proud of that. Unfortunately there just isn't a place like that I have found in the entire greater SF Bay area. I wish there was. So, until I do, www.towerhobbies.com is where I go to.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.