Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Fly-in/Model Air SHow Events Suggestions

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Fly-in/Model Air SHow Events Suggestions

Old 01-28-2003, 03:34 PM
crotts
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fly-in/Model Air SHow Events Suggestions

Our club has some great fly-ins and a charity air ahows, but I've been trying to come up with some more "crowd-pleaser" flying events we could do. We've done the candy drops and toilet paper drops, but there has to be some more stuff out there.

Also, during an Model Air Show, as opposed to a fly-in, do any of you have a schedule of events with some planned demonstrations or acts? How do you like that as opposed to a looser format, or no program at all?

Thanks,
Neal
Old 01-28-2003, 04:00 PM
fliers1

Default Re: Fly-in/Model Air SHow Events Suggestions

Originally posted by crotts
Our club has some great fly-ins and a charity air ahows, but I've been trying to come up with some more "crowd-pleaser" flying events we could do. We've done the candy drops and toilet paper drops, but there has to be some more stuff out there.

Also, during an Model Air Show, as opposed to a fly-in, do any of you have a schedule of events with some planned demonstrations or acts? How do you like that as opposed to a looser format, or no program at all?

Thanks,
Neal
How about scaring up a bunch of flight instructors to offer the public a few minutes on the sticks, even if you have to get them from other clubs? Do this for a major part of the show to get as many people as possible hooked on the sport. AMA does this at their annual Grand Event every June. They usually put around 300 people on the sticks. It would be even better if you could invite government officials or any VIP to take a flight or two.
Believe me, the would be an outstanding "crowd pleaser."

Take care,
CCR
http://www.kites.org/rc_instructors
Old 01-28-2003, 04:09 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

I like CCR's idea a lot.....
To answer you other question, I think a planned demonstration schedule is a better idea than a loose format. You can print up some programs so that spectators know what they are seeing.

Mike
Old 01-28-2003, 04:12 PM
JIMESTES
My Feedback: (8)

At our fly in we schedule the "Spirit of Utah" air show team.
They are just a bunch of guys that all fly different types of RC aircraft.
They put on a show that lasts about one hour.
It seems to really bring out the crowds.
It gives the crowd a look at all types of flying like 3D, IMAC style pattern, combat, RC skydivers, helicopter 3d, flying lawn-mower, speed prop, gliders, electric, turbine etc.

Later Jim
Old 01-29-2003, 06:55 PM
JIMESTES
My Feedback: (8)

Default see my thread "Here is what to do with the pieces"

Here is what to do with the pieces (post # 1)

First remove all real valuable equipment and replace with expendable servo's, rx, bat ect then tape and glue the remains as close to original as possible regular ole shelf paper will work to cover large areas. tape a rock or sock full of sand to the motor mount to maintain cg. Then have another pilot tow it up as high as you can get it release it then try to plant it straight up and down into a garbage can placed on the other side of the runway. This can also be a fun-fly event .
But make sure you have a video camera handy so the rest of us can enjoy.
Some times you have to save up parts from two or three different crashes to get a flyable carcass.

Later Jim
Old 01-29-2003, 07:08 PM
Gastronom-RCU
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

I think that planned demonstrations are disasterous, unless it is a full scale aircraft doigna demonstration. Other then that I think that the fellas that want ot demonstrate there airplane or skills always get behind and they lock up the air from us 'other' pilots so that no one is in the air. If it is a fun-fly, where prizes where made available, I think it would be different, but for just a fly in where I have to pay you to fly at your club, there should be no such interuptions.

I thik that you could get the public in it by donating a kit, arf, engine, or radio , something , anything to just the non-flying public. Give a trainer to a kid and watch his or her mother, father, and grandparents come out to support him, then word of mouth pix up. and there ya go. Of course this is just my opinion and I am a trained professional so don't try this at home, opinion making that is.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:13 PM
springer-RCU

One of the best stunts that I have seen at a modelling event involved the participation of the whole audience and was a real scream. You invite a non-flying member of the crowd out to the flight-line to take the sticks and the commentator coaches him to fly left, right etc. All the time, behind the back of the unwitting member, the real pilot of the plane is doing the flying...it's important that the crowd is discreetly made aware of the substitution. Let the fall-guy have some success and then have him "lose control" and come near to crashing the aircraft...if you can arrange that his comments go out on the public address system, so much the better. You get the idea.

Springer
Old 01-30-2003, 01:43 AM
Mluvara
My Feedback: (10)

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I believe one of the keys to putting on an R/C airshow is keeping the crowd entertained... Essentially, you have to keep their attention and minimize dead time (you want something in the air at all times. Attached is a clip from our annual airshow flyer that shows our schedule of events. Over two days, we get on average approximately 2000 people through the gates. It's no small event. Attendance depends on your physical location. The schedule is action packed from start to finish and designed to run like a full-scale airshow. The acts are set up so that the main attractions are usually late in the afternoon (everyone comes for jets) and that there is a demonstration of everyhting that R/C has to offer.

Several items that are needed for such a show:

1. PA system and an announcer that won't put the crowd to sleep and that interacts with the crowd. Have a remote microphone that one can wander around with and talk to the spectators.
2. High quality pilots who are dependable and have reliable aircraft. Ones with smoke, special effects, etc are great.
3. Food/drinks
4. Restrooms/ hand wash stations (get extra if you need them for the event- our biggest complaint has been this believe it or not!)
5. Acts such as the flying lawnmower, snoopy's doghouse, fliyng witch, etc (We use an R/C skydiver carrying the US flag as our opening ceremony to the star spangled banner) For instance, we hide the flying lawnmower. Just prior to lunch, we divert the crowd to something going on in the infield - meanwhile the mower starts up and a guy pretends to mow the lawn. The announcer tries to get his attention and ask what he's doing mowing on the weekend. Of course, he can't hear and walks away from the mower, which then takes off...
6. Back up, or fill in aircraft and pilots that are ready to go on cue. One of the planned acts will always have a slight problem or delay.
7. Get local community involved. We invite the Boy Scouts to control parking (shuttles are needed to get to remote parking), etc. Invite the local rocket club, boat club, car club, etc.
8. Run a raffle that would give away useful stuff to someone wanting to get into the hobby.
9. Have an information booth.
10. Publicize the event in local papers, parenting magazines, TV (if you know people, it helps!), etc.
11. Let the crowd try their hand at R/C during a lunch break. Line all planes up for people to look at.
12. Have fun and enjoy putting on the show!

Also, our event is free to the public. No admission charge, or parking charge. Our snack-shack brings in $2000 or so over the weekend and is a nice fundraiser. Be sure to schedule the event around other items in the area and during nice weather!

So, I believe planned demo's work if one's homework is done.

Regards,
Michael
www.sccmas.org
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	51323_2243.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	31471  
Old 01-30-2003, 02:58 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One that we did with great sucess was to fly something like a dura-plane or Spad while the croud takes turns shooting at it with paintball guns (at $1 for 5 shots).