Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

model airplane news rant! LOL!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

model airplane news rant! LOL!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 07:39 PM
BIGUGLYSTICK
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default model airplane news rant! LOL!

I was just wondering how many of you guys buy and read model airplane news these days? i myself read fly rc and drive rc. (great mags) but I also buy airplane news. i'm a sucker, i'll buy anything rc related to read. But I absolutely can't stand how they write their articles now! It looks like this.

Speed: Pretty fast

Glide: Not bad

3d performance: good

stall: straight forward

Landing: easy

**this is pretty pathetic if you ask me, but thats just my $0.02***

Does this annoy anyone else!

I like actually hearing about the plane. LOL!

Old 12-25-2006, 09:41 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: model airplane news rant! LOL!

I think they ought to farm out the ARF "build" to somebody who's only done a few, let them build it, fly it and report what they thought of the whole deal. It gets pretty mundane when you never hear them call whatever plane they just tested a POS, or it never had any issues, or it always flies perfectly. Sure, ARF's are better than ever, but surely not as perfect as the mags make them seem. The last couple I read, though, the reporter did say he replaced the hardware.

Here's another idea I'd like to see---have the mag take a new ARF, (we're talking scale here), and really make it something other than the cookie cutter plane it came out of the box as. You know, strip the plastic ora-mono-cover cote and do a real fabric re-cover, show how to do fake (or even real) rib stitching and taping, or skin the fuse and put the panel lines on it, add inspection hatches and baggage compartment covers, hide the switches, put in a smoke system. In other words, show how to individualize one of these things.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:47 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

I stopped reading MAN 2 years ago..too much fluff..I get RC Report now which is MUCH better as well as 3D Flyer
Old 12-25-2006, 09:54 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do'nt bother with any of them, With the information we have readily available today, magazines are becoming a dinosaur.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:27 PM
alex k

I get Model airplane news and a couple other mags, and I agree that they explain all that kinda cruddsy, but its still pretty good.

Alex
Old 12-25-2006, 10:38 PM
Joe Nagy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Everyone;

Greetings of the Season to you All from the sunny and warm 'Valley of the Sun'.

MAN....Gee Whiz? What do you say? I was a very faithful reader/subscriber to MAN from the late 50s rite thru to about '02, and finally just gave up on them. They no longer publish or write about anything that I am interested in, they are just a glorified ARF/RTF catalogue, more of a manufacturers' trade magazine. I have saved every old issue of the past 45 yrs or so and cherish same, they are agreat reference guide, but trashed the newer issues...nothin' there. I used to love the Peter CHinn engine reviews, + all the great construction design articles buy the 'great ones' in our hobby; also the index was on page 1 or 2, hell, now it's on page 6 or 8 if you can find it at all. The only mag I subscribe to now is good old FLYING MODELS: it is as true to form as ever, as the current '06 issue is faithful to any of the old FM's of the 50s-60s-etc., just with modern content, and covers all aspects of the hobby: RC in all of its various formats, CL, FF; just a plain/plane great old mag for sure.

MAN has lost its way, and I personally think it will be going the way of RCM, and several others. Just one old modeller's opinion, been destroying balsa for about 55 yrs now and counting, so I think my opinion counts. Best regards to All, and let us all have a very safe and wonderful '07,

Joe Nagy in Glendale, AZ.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:05 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good post Mr. Nagy. I agree with you almost completely. I still subscribe to MAN, although I have heard rumors that the entire Air Age Media is about to go belly-up in the financial picture. Hope that is just rumor!

Flying Models is definitely the "Last of the Mohicans" in reference to a true model builder's domain.

IMO, the near future is going to bring even more changes in our modeling printed media world. Could be interesting.

As long as there are small "reading rooms" and a man has every so often a need to occupy one, I think there will be a need for the printed magazine. Definitely so in MY house!!

Happy New Year to all.

edit: spelling
Old 12-26-2006, 12:48 AM
BIGUGLYSTICK
My Feedback: (12)

I agree. I like a little quality reading while i'm in the "office" as I like to think of it. But come on. I know advertisers pay them for space in their magazine, but thats all it is anymore, is advertisement space. In all reality they dont review anything. My example in my first post is honest to god how they write articles now. My 5 year old son can do better!

I like reading articles the way they used to be. You know back in the good ole days, when men were men and women were ribs. Like this.

It was a warm sunny day here in southern california as I arrived bright and early to get some stick time in before the field became crowded. I fueled her up adn flipped my trust Saito 3 times adn she came to life. I taxied her to the end of the strip and took a deep breath as I knew it was do or die time. With nerves of steel I slowly advanced the throttle till the tail became light and she parted from terra firma. As i circled the field around 1/4 stick all i needed was 3 clicks of right and one click of down to get her tracking smooth.

**Why cant we get some description like this anymore.*** It doesn't have to be as crappy as mine, but it was merely for a demonstration of what we pay to get when we PURCHASE a publication. Not pics from the WRAM show showing new models to get. Or the good ole articles MAN is puttin out. Oh well. thanks for hearin me rant some more.

Old 12-26-2006, 06:49 AM
jettstarblue

The best review is the one you do yourself after you buy a product.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:28 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I quit buying MAN when it got to be $6 at the news stand.
But on the other side of the coin they can't publish an article when nobody writes one anymore. Get off your butt and write one so the rest of us can sit back and read it. If its half way decent I bet they would be happy to publish it. Unfortunately the chinese don't write good english.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:59 AM
enahs
My Feedback: (4)

The construction article in the latest MAN was pretty good. That has been about the only really decent thing in the magazine for a while. Heck, I'm only 19 but I want to see more how-to articles, construction articles, and various other articles with some merit. It does get tiring reading about this ARF and that ARF and how awesome they flew. It's all about advertising $$$$.

That's what makes forums such as RCU so great.

Shane
Old 12-26-2006, 03:06 PM
KW_Counter

Hossfly,
You got a link to Flying Models.

I also want more How-To articles.
I read these mags to learn stuff I can use.
How many reviews can one person read on P-51s, Yak 54s, Extra 300, etc?
I like 4+ foot wingspans and can't afford the motor, ESC and batteries for these.
Your talking well over $200 when I can by a .46 for under $100.
Tired of so many articles on stuff I ain't interested in.
Thanks,
KW_Counter
Old 12-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: KW_Counter
Tired of so many articles on stuff I ain't interested in.
My sentiments EXACTLY.

Model Aviation is full of too much gray hair, rubber bands, gliders, indoor electrics, free flight and duration timed contests in the desert with gliders or whatever other old timer junk that 0.6% of the modeling community flies today.

It's full of everything BUT glow and gas powered models, linkages, kit building, tuning carbs, cannisters, tuned pipes, batteries, RXs and rigging.

I too am sick of the cookie cutter ARF "review" where they don't actually TELL you that the wing saddle needs to be shimmed 1/8" in the back to correct the incidence. Or, the giant scale biplane review that is just glorisouly great, but when you buy the POS, you find out that it's put together with sheetmetal screws and elmers stick glue fit for a child.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:01 PM
Bruno Stachel

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

...As long as there are small "reading rooms" and a man has every so often a need to occupy one, I think there will be a need for the printed magazine. Definitely so in MY house!!
Time for a lap top and a phone jack in that reading room. Or go wireless. Just watch the water!
Old 12-26-2006, 05:24 PM
MikeL

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

Model Aviation is full of too much gray hair, rubber bands, gliders, indoor electrics, free flight and duration timed contests in the desert with gliders or whatever other old timer junk that 0.6% of the modeling community flies today.
Which is exactly what it is supposed to do. All aspects of the hobby, and all that. I may not participate in them, but I'm glad they get some representation from an organization that takes their dues money. Sometimes I learn a bit from the different disciplines, too. The day that the AMA forgets about its non-RC members is the day that their dues money stops coming in. Coincidentally, that's also the day that my dues go up, again. I don't mind one bit that the indoor free-flighters subsidize my insurance costs, and if part of the trade off is a few magazine pages devoted to their aspect of the hobby that's fine. And let's face it, doing away with the non-RC articles won't result in more RC articles. There's not exactly an overflow of quality submissions being made to MA, as I understand it.

Product reviews are marketing. That's just the way it is--it's the same deal here with the RCU reviews. What I'd like to see is a review done after, say, a season of flying the model. That won't happen, because the companies that give the products to the reviewer (gratis, of course!) want the reviews out to coincide with their advertising materials. It would also be nice if the reviewers paid for the model themselves--my opinion of a product usually differs based on how much *I* personally paid for it--that's how I judge value. The other thing I'd like to see when it comes to ARFs is the quality of the construction. I don't mean whether the covering is wrinkle-free, I mean the quality of the build. In order to judge that, however, a person has to take off the covering and take a look. Reviewers who keep the product as their own (or sell it after their photos are completed) rarely, if ever, do that.

All of that is why the most valuable reviews are the ones that come out of the forums here. Everything else is just marketing, plain and simple.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:11 AM
aimmaintenance

ORIGINAL: MikeL

Which is exactly what it is supposed to do. All aspects of the hobby, and all that. I may not participate in them, but I'm glad they get some representation from an organization that takes their dues money.
Gotta tell ya though I'm extremely dissappointed in their coverage of RC combat. NOT ONE article all summer! To add to this a friend of mine even wrote an article and sent it to the assistant editer covering a combat meet that we held. He even sent pics along. Nothing.
I realize that RC combat is kinda like the red headed stepchild and we are a very small percentage of members but c'mon. NOT ONE article throughout the height of combat season!
Old 12-27-2006, 12:15 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: MikeL

Which is exactly what it is supposed to do. All aspects of the hobby, and all that. I may not participate in them, but I'm glad they get some representation from an organization that takes their dues money. Sometimes I learn a bit from the different disciplines, too. The day that the AMA forgets about its non-RC members is the day that their dues money stops coming in. Coincidentally, that's also the day that my dues go up, again. I don't mind one bit that the indoor free-flighters subsidize my insurance costs, and if part of the trade off is a few magazine pages devoted to their aspect of the hobby that's fine. And let's face it, doing away with the non-RC articles won't result in more RC articles. There's not exactly an overflow of quality submissions being made to MA, as I understand it.

Product reviews are marketing. That's just the way it is--it's the same deal here with the RCU reviews. What I'd like to see is a review done after, say, a season of flying the model. That won't happen, because the companies that give the products to the reviewer (gratis, of course!) want the reviews out to coincide with their advertising materials. It would also be nice if the reviewers paid for the model themselves--my opinion of a product usually differs based on how much *I* personally paid for it--that's how I judge value. The other thing I'd like to see when it comes to ARFs is the quality of the construction. I don't mean whether the covering is wrinkle-free, I mean the quality of the build. In order to judge that, however, a person has to take off the covering and take a look. Reviewers who keep the product as their own (or sell it after their photos are completed) rarely, if ever, do that.

All of that is why the most valuable reviews are the ones that come out of the forums here. Everything else is just marketing, plain and simple.
I agree. What we should do is insist that the reviewer remove the covering and comment on the construction. He could do it after the flight tests so he don't have to recover it. Then we would have a review of value.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Scar

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: shane_o

The construction article in the latest MAN was pretty good. That has been about the only really decent thing in the magazine for a while. Heck, I'm only 19 but I want to see more how-to articles, construction articles, and various other articles with some merit. It does get tiring reading about this ARF and that ARF and how awesome they flew. It's all about advertising $$$$.

That's what makes forums such as RCU so great.

Shane
Shane,

Looks like you and I are the only ones who read the Lap Map Staudacher article.

It was a good article, the plans are available, and I still had the (October?) previous mag with the balsa/foam cowl construction article. Might have to order the plans.

I don't waste my time looking at the things I don't want to look at, I enjoy the articles I want to read. At the end of the day, I haven't wasted time whining about how things aren't exactly how I want them to be, and maybe I found something to like about MAN.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 12-27-2006, 04:57 PM
enahs

Dave,

I ordered the plans shortly after reading the article. I too had the old magazine with the cowl how-to. I think it should be a pretty cool plane to build and get flying.

Shane
Old 12-27-2006, 06:32 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jettstarblue

The best review is the one you do yourself after you buy a product.

I agree with this theory. Especially after some guy makes a purchase from Nitroplanes after we've told them 50 times not to and then comes to RCU to complain about it.'
Old 12-28-2006, 11:32 AM
Roquewj

I haven't renew my subscription this year. This was after more than 20 years reading it.

I do now subscribe to RC Report and Fly R/C, only. RC Report does a honest review.