Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Are the Magazines history?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Are the Magazines history?

Old 01-05-2007, 11:05 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are the Magazines history?

ORIGINAL: GeeBeeJim

Hey Mikey ............ Last I heard, yo Daddy wuz participating in the Brokeback Mountain Shootout & Sheep Fest.
Hey Jim! Dish TV![X(]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93987.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	591691  
Old 01-05-2007, 11:16 PM
AMA234

ORIGINAL: Kmot

My wife is a librarian. For a while, there was a genuine fear amongst librarians that the explosion of the internet would do away with the need for libraries. After all, you could get whatever information you needed online, right? You could download books online, right?

Well, as it turned out the fear was unfounded. The libraries are more popular than ever. Circulation (books loaned out) is up higher than ever. Ironically, the library also has internet terminals (my wife was completely responsible for setting these up in the city she works in) and they are extremely popular. So anyway, the pont is that the internet did not make books and libraries fade away.

I don't thnk it is going to happen to magazines either. For the same reasons, I.E. in my case it is just nice sometimes to flip through the pages of a magazine. To hold it in your hand while reclining in a comfy chair or sitting on the crapper.

Also, for me personally, the magazine is a monthly glossy color brochure of the latest r/c products that have been manufactured. I like that. That is basically why I subscribe anymore. It works for me.

If the magazines did not have the big advertisers paying them they would go away. I realize the reviews are slanted for that reason. I also keep in mind, it is one mans opinion.

You sure have a way with words! LOL That was funny!
Old 01-06-2007, 12:06 AM
JL636
My Feedback: (79)

What will kill magazines will be the price. I went into the local bookstore the other day, walked out with 2 RC magazines and $14.00 poorer. I recently subscribed to RC Report hoping I could get something other than rave reviews and advertising. We'll see.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:41 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: JL636

What will kill magazines will be the price. I went into the local bookstore the other day, walked out with 2 RC magazines and $14.00 poorer. I recently subscribed to RC Report hoping I could get something other than rave reviews and advertising. We'll see.
R.C Report is the only one that I voluntairialy subscribe to (MA does not count, since I do not have the choice). While Gordon still publishes what is (IMHO) the only honest publication left out there, they are moving rapidly in the direction of ARF's and E.P.. When my subscription expires, I probably will not renew. If I wanted to read all about the next ARF, or Electrified whiz-bang, I can do that by just reading M.A.. I know that the guys that do the monthly columns for RCR have some latitude in what they write, but in the last few issues, they have gotten their two cents worth in with their feelings toward ARF's. And for the most part (Dick Watz excluded) have come down squarely on the ARF side of the fence. Nothing wrong with that, It's just not something in which I have an interest, and I will spend my money elsewhere. If you are an ARFer, then you probably will enjoy what you see there. I, personally can't see the advantage in detailing an ARF, and attempting to make it something that it is not. I suppose that there is nothing left out there in the publishing arena for people such as myself. I, therefore, will continue to spend what little free time that I have available either here on RCU, or on R.C. Scalebuilder.

Regards,

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-25-2007, 02:24 AM
RCFlyer

How about the members and (non-members) of clubs that don't have a
computer? The only resource for information for them are magazines, or
other members.
Maybe for this reason magazines will still be out there!

For example; The club I belong to we have 11 members out of 34 that
that don't have a computer.
I keep trying to convence them to get one, but?

My favorite magazine was R/C Modeler, but is no longer being published.
I do subscribe to MAN due to getting it for around $12 for one year, and
of course MA.

What happened to the spell checker???[]

Clarence
Old 01-25-2007, 11:31 AM
Jim Thomerson

I get Flying Models, Control Line World, MA, and, as a PAMPA member, Stunt News. I assume (sometimes wrongly?) that what I see in print in a magazine has had some level of editorial review. Whereas I see a lot of stuff on internet sites which strikes me as poorly thought out. Plus the personal sillines so common on the internet is more restrained in magazines.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:21 PM
dr_wogz

Stickbuilder, my sentiments exactly!!

No interest in ARFs or EPs. Reviews are always shiny, and the amount of ads is overwhelming. Not to mention the word to pictrue ratio is pretty low.

I'll flip though the odd mag here & there, and I might even buy one. But $10 (Canadian + taxes) for Fly RC or MAN is a rip-off.

My new "sit-down reading" are books from my library & Amazon.
($20 for two magazines, or $22 for a "Squadron Series" book)