Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Are the Magazines history?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Are the Magazines history?

Old 12-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are the Magazines history?

The only magazine I ever had a subscription to was AMA and that was because it came with the package. never liked it much. My main beef with it was Dr Frank, his column was always full of Texas events and rarely anything from New Mexico. We would send him some good stuff al the time and zippo. I would read the others like man and RC report that was laying around somewhere in a store or at the field. The only thing I found beneficial from it was I didn't have to pay for it.

Looking at this objectively is what does any of the magazines offer that you cannot find on the internet and especially here on RCU. I recall being a member of RC Online and getting invited here a few years back. RCU did it right and has basically cornered the market when it comes to Radio Control information. Only 10 years ago, the internet was weak and information was obtained primarily through magazines. RC Magazines are becoming obsolete. It's all about the advertising buck and no substance. Adding fuel to the fire is it's too late, the bridge has been burned

You can bet that every single group of RC flyers in the US and other parts of the world have at least one person who is a member and spreading the word. Any article in any magazine is subject to question--but you cannot ask!. Here you can and get more experienced replies and a variety that may fit the bill instead of a simple reply your stuck with. It's a sign of the times.

Magazines are selling advertising to third rate cheap crap companies which we can slam and give a true review on right here. With regards to distributors and magazines, I really believe as modelers and RCU members, we're getting control of ther overall market. Magazines are going to have to come up with a 180 degree plan to keep up or they will go down hard and sadly, not even missed.

One area here is the "personal touch" between everyone when talking about up and coming events like "hey call me" or giving specifics on who what where and when. That "Revvers" Fly in a couple months back-if kept simple can turn into something real good over the next few years and all by word of mouth.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:10 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Are the Magazines history?

Excellent point.

MA used to be the primary source of information regarding AMA events and going's on. But.....
since RCU, RCgroups, and many others have risen to epic proportions and have content far surpassing any of the magazines....they are wasted paper.

There is not one single piece of information in MA that you cant get online somewhere. The AMA website at modelaircraft.org has a complete calendar of all upcoming AMA events, there are far more useful tips, tricks, and articles regarding model aviation online then there are currently in the magazine. NATS scoring and other event scoring can be found in many places online, along with District information. So in reality, the magazine has outlived its usefulness.

This has been debated strongly many times before.

In my opinion, the AMA should eliminate the magazine altogether, and perhaps focus those funds towards a collaboration with RCU or use them elsewhere where they are more needed.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:26 PM
MikeL

I think the magazines are handy for a lot of people still. There is at least some quality control to the articles. Can information be found online that's as good or better? You bet, but there's a catch--the reader has to sort the wheat from the chaff on their own. Sometimes the signal to noise ratio gets pretty bad, and sometimes the people who speak the loudest don't have a clue as to what they're talking about. Check out the Glow Engines forum here, for instance!

What I would like to see, and perhaps pay for, would be a magazine that does away with the product brochures that they call reviews and focuses more on practical information. Interesting projects that everyday modelers take on, editorials that impart some knowledge/wisdom rather than tongue-waging (I know, sometimes it's difficult to distinguish between the two), and a focus on the problems and issues that often come up in modeling. How to build in small areas, practical radio programming and engine advice, how to interest the household 6 in the hobby (or compromise...). Maybe a building series for the un-motivated modeler, like me.

There is still room for magazines, but they need to differentiate themselves from what is available online.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:44 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

I bet we would be really surprised at how many RC'ers dont even know about this place..Sometimes we think this is the center of the RC Universe but in the big picture it prolly isnt...Still this is still the best place to get info on just about everything.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Ed

There will always be a place for magazines, especially R/C Report, and HIGH FLIGHT.
I don't have a computer in my bathroom.

The R/C internet is an Ocean of mis-information.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:50 PM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

ORIGINAL: GeeBeeJim

Old 12-28-2006, 06:55 PM
heli_Rod

How can you argue with a point like that?......LOL

Rod
Old 12-28-2006, 07:00 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't????
Old 12-28-2006, 09:43 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Jim, just get an extension cord!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97918.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	585585  
Old 12-28-2006, 10:08 PM
heli_Rod

Might as well be portable!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57327.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	585616  
Old 12-28-2006, 10:38 PM
Phlip

A lot of good points made here, but, maybe I'm an oddity ... I like magazines, and would miss them terribly if they faded. I also like to explore many different areas of the model airplane hobby. Flying Models is my favorite mag, followed by Model Aviation. I like to build. I like to build the occasional rubber powered stick and tissue model. I like to build the occasional control line model. I like to build my R/C models, in fact I've never bought an R/C ARF. So the MANs and Fly R/Cs are almost meaningless to me, so I completely agree with the assessment of those types of magazines ... boring catalogs.

But I like to read about Large scale R/C, which I'll probably never do because of the indoor-space and money issues, I like to read about powered FF which I'll never do because of outdoor-space issues. I like to read about C/L combat and stunt which I may never actually do to compete. I like to read about all kinds of model airplanes, but only with a cursory interest that would never allow me to sift through the tons of information and mis-information on the web to find the stuff I want. The editor at the magazine does all that for me, and I can enjoy it anytime, even in the bathroom.

Phil
Old 12-29-2006, 07:48 AM
heli_Rod

To be honest, I like magazines also. I usually buy about all that are available every month, but I have to admit that some, like R/C Modeler, I bought as a catalog just to see what was new or coming out soon. Most of the articles they ran weren't interesting to me. They did have nice covers on their mags! [sm=tongue_smile.gif]

I still buy magazines and they always seem to have too much of whatever I'm not interested in. Guess I've gotten used to that. I do like to read about some of the old things I used to do, now and then, but focus on what I'm into at the present moment.

Rod
Old 12-29-2006, 08:46 AM
Strawhat Mike

ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

I would read the others like man and RC report that was laying around somewhere in a store or at the field. The only thing I found beneficial from it was I didn't have to pay for it.
If that doesn't make you sympathize with the magazines I don't know what does....

Magazines are selling advertising to third rate cheap crap companies which we can slam and give a true review on right here.
That's cuz many folks don't pay for the magazines. See above.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:00 AM
Cyclic Hardover

ORIGINAL: Strawhat Mike

ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

I would read the others like man and RC report that was laying around somewhere in a store or at the field. The only thing I found beneficial from it was I didn't have to pay for it.
If that doesn't make you sympathize with the magazines I don't know what does....

Magazines are selling advertising to third rate cheap crap companies which we can slam and give a true review on right here.
That's cuz many folks don't pay for the magazines. See above.

Well there may be a "slam" in here somwwhere but with my torn shoulder and the drugs I'm taking until surgery, I guess I don't really care eh?[sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]

Old 12-29-2006, 09:03 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

I like MA myself, but don't get any of the other US mags. I really like RCMW and RCM&E from accross the pond. They have gotten a bit weak in the last couple months but still very enjoyable.

Regarding the king's reading area, I have wireless on my laptop.[8D]
Old 12-29-2006, 09:31 AM
Charlie P.

I receive Model Avaition and High Flight as part of my memberships to AMA and IMAA but there is no magazine that can compare to this site. That's why I decided to subscribe here and send some $ the RCU way (hint, hint). I'd rather follow someone's simplest of LT-40 builds here than read about ARFs and ittle foam electrics.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:53 AM
Cyclic Hardover

I wonder if a magazine would have the "snowballs" to go completely online
Old 12-29-2006, 12:04 PM
Barfly

I agree that most of what is in the magazines is on the net, but not the other way around. I don't buy R/C mags and rarely read them, but a friend gave me three copies, all different publishers. After reading the bits that caught my eye I got a feeling there was a LOT of ads, so much so that I took the time to count the pages. Fully 70% was ads.!

I feel that I would not waste my dosh on a subscription, if I want to know something I'll hit the forums etc., but I think it's worth buying one magazine about every six months simply because it's a handy source of suppliers contacts. You could spend a lot of time on the forums and still not know some of those outlets even exists. To me, it's just a directory. Now, if your LHS or club has copies for customers and members to read in the shop, you don't even need to buy.

Cheers from the Barfly.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:08 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

My wife is a librarian. For a while, there was a genuine fear amongst librarians that the explosion of the internet would do away with the need for libraries. After all, you could get whatever information you needed online, right? You could download books online, right?

Well, as it turned out the fear was unfounded. The libraries are more popular than ever. Circulation (books loaned out) is up higher than ever. Ironically, the library also has internet terminals (my wife was completely responsible for setting these up in the city she works in) and they are extremely popular. So anyway, the pont is that the internet did not make books and libraries fade away.

I don't thnk it is going to happen to magazines either. For the same reasons, I.E. in my case it is just nice sometimes to flip through the pages of a magazine. To hold it in your hand while reclining in a comfy chair or sitting on the crapper.

Also, for me personally, the magazine is a monthly glossy color brochure of the latest r/c products that have been manufactured. I like that. That is basically why I subscribe anymore. It works for me.

If the magazines did not have the big advertisers paying them they would go away. I realize the reviews are slanted for that reason. I also keep in mind, it is one mans opinion.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:09 PM
Ed

A good magazine editor will at least screen his potential authors to insure some kind of integrity for his publication.

R/C Forums are different. Too often they are tainted with opinions from self appointed experts, and children.

I will continue to come here seeking good information. The key is separating the wheat from the chaff. Or, the meaningful stuff from the B.S.

> Jim
Old 12-29-2006, 12:27 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

A good magazine editor will at least screen his potential authors to insure some kind of integrity for his publication.
Are you tryin to say no freebies for the Vicman
Old 12-29-2006, 05:51 PM
Roquewj
My Feedback: (4)

The R/C internet is an Ocean of mis-information.
Hey, did you ever heard about laptop computers with wireless transmission?
I have wireless capability on my home's desktop and can check internet or any other thing using my laptop, in any place in my home.

I still subscribe RC Report and Fly R/C.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:34 PM
Cyclic Hardover

The key is separating the wheat from the chaff. Or, the meaningful stuff from the B.S.
> Jim

What about "meaningful B.S.?"[sm=lol.gif]------------------My daddy doing okay, he's really into guns and shooting competitions now. I bet he hasn't been flying but a couple times since the summer. I went by his house the other day and talk with him a few times a week.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:51 PM
Ed

Hey Mikey ............ Last I heard, yo Daddy wuz participating in the Brokeback Mountain Shootout & Sheep Fest.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:10 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Yeh for the most part, he is really in deeps with the shooting thing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.