Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

A treat for all us old guys enjoy!!!

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

A treat for all us old guys enjoy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 12:25 PM
treedog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A treat for all us old guys enjoy!!!

Found this surfing the net over the holidays thought u all might like it td

http://www.sshobbies.com/motors.html
And wait til u see this gang, wowy does this bring back memories!!!
http://www.americanjuniorclassics.co...toreindex2.htm

http://www.americanjuniorclassics.co...ck_hein_1.html

< Message edited by treedog -- 12/31/2006 11:17:22 AM >
Old 12-31-2006, 06:15 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: A treat for all us old guys enjoy!!!

Very interesting reading. However, I believe that I have the only copy left of the AJ Interceptor with a red plastic fuselage. I have talked with the museum, and they didn't even know that one was made that way. Anybody else out there have one????
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39363.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	587667  
Old 12-31-2006, 09:15 PM
jettstarblue

Better check with Easytiger on that one....
Old 12-31-2006, 09:27 PM
Bass1

Wow, I had a few of those red plastic fuse Interceptors back in the day. I wonder if any of you guys remember (in the late 50's) a dime store silk and wire, rubber powered ROG airplane. I think they were generally blue in color. Seems I remember it had an under cambered wing. They cost around a dollar back then and they out flew and out climbed any ready to fly rubber powered plane there was. I also remember having to climb huge oak trees to retreive stuck airplanes. I have asked quite a few "veteran" modelers about the little airplane but no one remembers it. I have no idea what is was called or who made it but I'd die for one now!! p.s These were purchased in Toms River, New Jersey.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:53 PM
treedog

Do u mean 1 of these there are all kinds of interesting pictures at the links above

Name:	Tr49829.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	587885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29611.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	587886  
Old 01-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Ed

ORIGINAL: Bass1

I wonder if any of you guys remember (in the late 50's) a dime store silk and wire, rubber powered ROG airplane. I think they were generally blue in color. Seems I remember it had an under cambered wing. They cost around a dollar back then and they out flew and out climbed any ready to fly rubber powered plane there was. I also remember having to climb huge oak trees to retreive stuck airplanes. I have asked quite a few "veteran" modelers about the little airplane but no one remembers it. I have no idea what is was called or who made it but I'd die for one now!! p.s These were purchased in Toms River, New Jersey.
Mine was green silk on twisted wire, cost .35 cents, was made in Japan, and was purchased in Brooklyn, N.Y. My Mother bought it for me as we walked to a park. I'm gonna guess this was about 1937 - 1938, so it was pre WWII. I of course was very young at the time, and never really knew enough to make it fly. It only flew as far as I could throw it. [] If I remember correctly, the wire was twisted around the entire perimeter of the wing.

> Jim
Old 01-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Bass1

Gee Bee, Thats got to be the same airplane. I was talking to my brother last night and he remembers having a red one. So I guess they came in various colors. They were awesome flying planes. The cost about 5 times more than the standard balsa types of the period and if I remember correctly, they had a longer and heavier rubber band. I'd sure like to stumble on one of those for nostalgia sake!! (and to fly)
Old 01-02-2007, 12:35 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's another classic - what we used to call a "Push-Button Airplane"

Great way to get the very young ones hooked early

http://explore4fun.com/lilrasbip.html
Old 01-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Charlie P.

Hey, where's that thread about the flying video. Here's Captain Video flying.

* sigh * Man, memories in those B&W shots of the toy stores (though I'm not THAT old, but my older bother is).

A few years back I did up a Guillows kit and turned it over to the nephews when I was done playing with it myself. I may have to try that again. One is OWO on a Rockwell B1B where it is hot at the moment, so I guess it paid off.

Peck Polymers (http://www.peck-polymers.com/) carried lots of old-timey but newly marketed kits and I hope they still will now that they're moved and under new management. You know, if once a year each of us put together a Peck R.O.G. or an Starved *****cat and left it behind on a park bench on a sunny day we might rekindle a spark for the older ways of model flight.

Name:	Ki19907.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	588927  
Old 01-05-2007, 09:41 PM
WLJ
My Feedback: (108)

My Grandmother used to buy those for me in the Dime Store in Rocky Mount, NC. I wouldn't mind having one too.
ORIGINAL: Bass1

Wow, I had a few of those red plastic fuse Interceptors back in the day. I wonder if any of you guys remember (in the late 50's) a dime store silk and wire, rubber powered ROG airplane. I think they were generally blue in color. Seems I remember it had an under cambered wing. They cost around a dollar back then and they out flew and out climbed any ready to fly rubber powered plane there was. I also remember having to climb huge oak trees to retreive stuck airplanes. I have asked quite a few "veteran" modelers about the little airplane but no one remembers it. I have no idea what is was called or who made it but I'd die for one now!! p.s These were purchased in Toms River, New Jersey.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:54 AM
Bass1

WLJ, My weather people tell me your area had a tornado this evening? I hope everything is o.k... It's heading my way now![X(]
Old 01-06-2007, 08:06 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Minn Flyer I had one of those too. They were given out as Christmas presents to the children of Brunswick employees during the plant Christmas party in the late 50's. There wasn't any way we could afford to buy one. I had plenty of Jim Walkers 404 Interceptors though.
John
Old 01-28-2007, 12:48 AM
Grampaw

I haven't visited RCU in a while, and tonight wound up here. I have no idea what the original thread was, but seeing the photos of those red and blue Interceptors reminded me of those balsa, rubber band launched Folding Wing Interceptor types that came out way back in the mid 40s. This one was Rubber Band launched, via a rubber band hooked to a stick (furnished.) It's wings were hooked to a smaller rubber band and rotated back to rest alongside the fuselage for launching. The little rubber band pulled the wings into flying position once it leveled off into a glide.

To launch, the wings were folded back along the fuselage and held between fingertips. Attach the larger rubber band to a notch under the nose, and stretch the plane back like a Slingshot. When ready let go of the wingtips.

Me and a buddy took it out into a vacant lot in our neighborhood to try it out. We had some other types that didn't fly too well, so the small area was no deterent as we didn't figure it too get very high or far. Determined to get some good altitude I stretched that rubber band back from that stick as far as I could get it! I had my eyes closed when I let go of the plane's wingtips. I felt the air tickle my hair as that plane whizzed by my right ear! After a second or so I I opened my eyes to look watch my plane glide gracefully back to earth! But it was no where in sight.

I made a 360 degree scan of the sky and then over the ground in the lot...no airplane. I asked my buddy "Where did it go?" He said, "How do I know, my eyes were closed!" We searched that lot and adjoining yards, roof tops, roadways, everywhere and found not even a scrap of broken balsa off that red Interceptor! All I had left was that stick (furnished) and a loop of brown rubber! When asked no one in the neighborhood admitted to seeing it fly, or crash. I had that rubber stretched so far, I must have put that thing in Orbit! But back in the 40s how many kids even knew what "Orbit" was. Everytime I drive by that neighborhood my mind goes back to that day and wonder where the hell did my airplane go?
Old 01-28-2007, 01:45 AM
Bass1

Hey Gramps, Great story!!
Old 01-28-2007, 09:21 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I remeber having one of those wire frame sik covered planes sometime in the mid-fifties, but don't recall it flying very well. I right now have a balsa fused Interceptor and a 74 glider. I had many of the 74s when I was a kid. I would like to see the old Ceiling Hopper come back. I had a number of those, too. Closed to those now is the IMS version, which I have a couple of. Fun to fly.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember the silk and wire rubber model. I bought them at Doochins 5&dime in Madison Tennessee. I believe they were $0.99 back around 1957 or 1958. They would really fly, but the solder on the wire corroded very quickly.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Here's another classic - what we used to call a "Push-Button Airplane"

Great way to get the very young ones hooked early

http://explore4fun.com/lilrasbip.html
Stanzell used to market a monoplane with the same kind of power source too. Seems like the drive cable was about 6 or so feet long.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 01-29-2007, 12:31 AM
Bass1

Speaking of cool old memories.. I remember an older guy (teenager) in the late 50s making an awesome paper glider he called a "wind glider". I can't remember how to make one but we used to throw them out of a second story window at school and they would out fly any paper glider I ever saw. Many times we would never find them after they flew away! It would be cool to take pictures and post them here of "paper gliders" we used to build and fly in our formative years. (that is if we can still remember how) It might be a KICK!!
Old 01-29-2007, 04:24 AM
Bass1

OK, I'm bored (cabin fever) and this is a glider my dad took pride in sharing/constructing with me in or around 1957. I'm really surprised I remember how to "fold" it It flys great in my garage. Now let's see yours![sm=49_49.gif]

Name:	Qn38333.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	609074  
Old 01-29-2007, 08:30 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

If you read my "Got Smoke" article, you'll see that I do not recommend wrapping the muffler with a preheating coil.

The reason for this is simple... You need a HOT muffler. When you take heat from the muffler to heat the oil, YOU ARE TAKING HEAT AWAY FROM THE MUFFLER!

Another reason is to keep the system simple. You will find that a smoke system is not a "Plug n Play" item, they require constant adjusting, so the simpler it is, the better.

The article referred to earlier was written by someone that I tutored through the process. On my original skyboly I used the "Fiberglass wrapped with Aluminum tape" method, and it worked well, but later I discovered that it wasn't needed, so I left it off in later applications because, like i said, "Keep it simple".

Now, IF I needed more heat, I would insulate the muffler, or preheat the oil, or both. BUT, if I were going to preheat the oil, I would wrap the engine's head so I'm not stealing heat from where I need it the most.

Think about it... Let's relate heat to money. You need (let's say) $1.00 worth of heat to get smoke. You're muffler is putting out 99ΒΆ, so you need more heat. Ok, you wrap the muffler with copper tubing, and you steal 25ΒΆ worth of heat and put it in the oil. Now you pump that warm oil into a muffler that only has 74ΒΆ of heat left. You're back to square 1 with 99ΒΆ worth of heat.

Now, you wrap the head instead, and (Since it's not as hot as the muffler) you get 15ΒΆ worth of heat. But now you pump that 15ΒΆ into your 99 muffler, and you've broken the $1 mark - So she smokes!