Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Allergic to CA anyone???

Old 02-13-2002, 09:12 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Allergic to CA anyone???

After 10 years, I took a 3 month break from building. When started to build again, I instantly began sneezing, coughing, running nose and my throat started to hurt really bad. Last night, I was up all night with coughing and sneezing. My throat really hurts too. Anyone else allergic to CA? I don't think it's the dust. What kind of hobbyist am I if I'm allergic to CA?
Old 02-13-2002, 09:39 PM
My Feedback: (287)

You are the same type of hobbyist I am !!!! I am returning after 7 years off. I experienced the same symtoms you have + a terrible headache after using CA's. I had to switch to epoxy and oderless CA. I know a modeler who became so allergic to CA,s and Epoxy that he needs to use an air supplied respirator to build ! Talk about dedicated to the hobby.
Good Luck
Brian
Old 02-13-2002, 09:42 PM

Default CA

Did your throat hurt really bad? Mine does, and keep coughing too but I know I don't have a cold. I've thought about using the odorless CA, does it really help?
Old 02-13-2002, 09:51 PM

It sure did...I stopped building for a few days, felt fine then used CA's agian...sure enough felt crappy agian!!!!
Oderless CA's really do help, But they are not as good also do not use kicker it is worse than the glues. I mix a lot of epoxy now. Allergies build up in people after a while. I have been building off and on for over 20 years. It finally got to me
Good luck
B-
Old 02-13-2002, 09:54 PM
My Feedback: (10)

I must use oderless CA or I have the same problems.
Old 02-13-2002, 09:54 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks Bigbri, I'm really depressed now. I love building, more so than flying. I can crank out plane after plane and now will be a lot slower at it. I bought a bottle of odorless CA and it was like $13 for a 1oz bottle. This sucks.
Old 02-13-2002, 09:58 PM

It does suck....fortunately for me I am more of a flyer than a builder...As my friend Roby says when ever he see's of of my new creations...."Brian you are a far better flyer than you are a builder." Check out Balsa USA they sell oderless CA at a reasonable price, buy it in quanity and shipping isn't that bad.
Remember....Takeoffs are optional ....... Landings are manditory
Brian
Old 02-13-2002, 10:14 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I have a sensitivity to CA glue. It affects my throat and nose. It feels like I have a low grade cold.
I use CA very sparingly and only when no other glue is practicle to use. The only clear advantage in using CA is the quick set up time. Unless you build to a time table, why not switch to aliphatic resin?
I now use Elmers Carpenter glue for building, Epoxy for fire walls & landing gear plates and only rarely CA. When I do use CA I make sure to ventilate the area, or use it outdoors.

Happy landings Tony
Old 02-13-2002, 10:38 PM
My Feedback: (5)

I know how you feel guys and I hate to do this but check out my web page under my signature, or better yet go to the forum, 'New Product Announcements' and look for Saturn Hobbies.

Yucholian give me a call as I am in Everett.
Old 02-13-2002, 10:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to try the alphatic resins like Titebond, ever bit as strong (better for shock loads) as CA's, just a bit slower. You can do every bit of your model with alphatics including firewalls and wing joiners; the wood will break before the glue joints do. Rod
Old 02-21-2002, 01:57 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do react to CA,s but not as badly as some of you poor devils! I use one fan blowing over the work and an exhaust fan in the wall of the shop.I find I react more to thin than thick.Odorless does work...Balsa USA have a two for one sale on right now (or did until the current stock ran out) and I stocked up since I like their brand anyway.....
Old 02-21-2002, 04:01 AM
My Feedback: (15)

OK Guys, here's help !

Go to the nearest Wal Mart or any other store and buy a box of "Actifed" or the generic equivalent. Take one about twenty minutes before working with CA.

Go ahead try it.... Tell us if it works.

It sure did for me !
Old 02-21-2002, 04:12 AM

Default CA Allergies

Yep, I get the same symptoms... gets very expensive in the Kleenex department; I'll use up a half box in less than three hours! I use ProBond when ever I can, even if it means having to wait. Which is why I have two or three different models working at the same time. Grounded62
Old 02-25-2002, 12:56 AM

Default ALLERGIC TO CA

I'm glad to hear I have others along with me on this (but I"m sorry it hits you also.)
It hits me so bad that it can actually make it hard to breath. I HAD TO GO TO THE DOC. AND GET A SHOT!

Now I really am not a big time builder, I prefer to fly. so I try to buy ARFS. or my buddies who feel sorry for me will do some of or most of the building for me.(nice guys) But when all comes to all, I will use "TITEBOND" also. it's slower as you have mentioned but I can at least breath!

And the thinner is far worse then the thick. I tried the "jell" and it helped a lot! If my head is over the CA when it "kicks" I know I'M in trouble.

I now use the "ODERLESS" all that I can, bit it is expensive. but then again, do you want to build?

GOOD LUCK
ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS WILL BE APPRECIATED!

RON in PAHRUMP
Old 02-25-2002, 07:08 AM

Default Allergy

I just went through two of the worst "colds" I ever had. One in December and one in January. Turned out to be reaction to CA. I have switched to odourless and it is terrific. Now if we could work on the price. I use polyurethane glue as an alternative whenever possible but hate the 8 hour curing time.

BTW Taking a histamine (CA glue) and taking an antihistamine(Actifed) wouldn't be my choice for staying healthy, but each one of us decides how we want mix chemicals in our lives.
Old 02-26-2002, 06:55 PM

Default Strong

Has anyone tested these odorless CA's for their strength? Would anyone be brave enough to use it on hinges???
Old 02-26-2002, 09:20 PM

Simple test. I glued a couple of sticks of balsa together and when I pulled them apart the glue joint was fine and the wood had separated. It appears to be strong enough for me and I will be using it on hinges and whatever.
Old 02-27-2002, 02:04 AM
krs

Default CA Allergy

I use a 3M paint mask and a HEPA air filter system when I use CA. This works great..!!! I can sand and glue with no problems.

I also use wood glue often too.

Kevin
Old 08-15-2002, 03:10 PM
Banned

Anybody get headaches besides me and bigbri from CA glue? I think I just found a correlation to me waking up the next day and having used CA the night before.
Old 08-15-2002, 05:02 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Default Yeah, I do..

After a long day of building, I really feel it. Head plugged up pretty solid, throat burning, but not so much of a head ache...and yes it comes on during the day I'm building, but is much worse in the morning..

So I try to get some ventilation, try not to let the glue "kick" right under my nose..if I ever get one of those burning eye sensations from glue fumes, I know I'm gonna get stuffed up..

Also the thin CA seems to be worse for me. So I've been using mostly medium, just thin when I have to. And if I know I made a joint that's gonna smoke, I hit it with CA kicker to get it set before it goes off. I don't like the smell of the kicker..

And the odorless ones work fine, but they are a lot higher $$ and the shelf life (even in the fridge) is pathetic. I like to buy glue by the case or 16oz bottle, and the first time this stuff goes bad on you and you have $150 of it still left, well, I was hacked.

And through all of this misery, I just keep on gluing..I can't stand to wait 8 hrs for a glue joint that would only take 15 seconds...
Old 08-15-2002, 05:32 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Head ache stuffed up or runny nose burning eyes. Fingers stuck together "oh no that's another problem".
Old 08-15-2002, 07:02 PM

I'll use the CA's only when absolutely necessary! As far as I'm concerned, there are so many other good glues on the market anymore, a guy doesn't have to make himself sick at the expense of a glue joint or two! Grounded62
Old 08-15-2002, 07:07 PM
Banned

I got a pounder going all day...I just realized it is definitely the CA as I've had more headaches in the last 2 months than in the last 5 years combined. The only difference is I'm using CA. I clearly notice now and realize whatever evening I use the CA that the odds are I will wake up early with a pounding headache that lasts all day. That is my only side effect but it's bad.

To satisfy my impatience when building I was thinking of setting up a medium sized fan that blows between whatever I'm working on and my nose so the fumes get blown away. Anyone think this might work effectively? I'm too stuck on CA's to totally give them up (pun intended)
Old 08-15-2002, 07:31 PM

Blowing the CA vapor around will spread it more evenly through the room. That may be enough.

If not, one of those extactor fans with a filter used at electronic soldering stations for the flux fumes may help.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:45 PM
Banned

I also did do some soldering last night...many times I solder and use CA on the same night and have the headache the next day...can the solder cause the headache too or is the likely target just the CA?

Well..at least my headache is going away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.