Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Not to sound morbid but...

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Not to sound morbid but...

Old 03-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not to sound morbid but...

I've been reading this forum since it was created, and it occured to me that as time goes on, some people won't be posting here anymore if you get my drift. Do you think there would be any way we'd find out what happened to them or just go on wondering why that person no longer posts?
Old 03-13-2007, 03:19 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Not to sound morbid but...

They probably go to that great airplane hangar in the sky............where the breeze never blows when it's your turn to fly........and everyone is on 2.4 GHz................and there's no such thing as a deadstick........................and glow fuel and gas are free...............and batteries never lose their charge.........and there are no trees wherever you fly........and you never have to sweep up your shop after building your plane...............

So come with me, we'll go and see, the Big Rock Candy Mtn.

Unfortunately, we have already lost some who will be greatly missed, and have come way too close to losing some others (you listening, FlyBoy?) There will be some who we lose touch with, and will wonder about how they are, and where, and there will be some we won't think twice about. RCU is a microcosm of life outside of its own universe.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:54 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Many more simply drift away from the hobby as well.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Tommygun

I've been reading this forum since it was created, and it occured to me that as time goes on, some people won't be posting here anymore if you get my drift. Do you think there would be any way we'd find out what happened to them or just go on wondering why that person no longer posts?
Good thought. Out of courtesy to our fellow RCMers, leave a message that your wife, kids, or significant other can send. Let everyone know you are waiting for them on the other side.

Red S.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:40 PM
Live Wire

Tommy
Just depends on who you are looking for Some don't realize that posting on an open form you will get any type of reply and not really know what to expect. It depends how thick your skin is and how much you can take and want to dish out People leave for personal reasons and other just can't stand the heckling from fellow modelers or some time that is what they call themselves.
Then there are ones that gave their all to the hobby and RCU.
THANKS GUY'S
Old 03-13-2007, 08:51 PM
BUDMAN27

Anyway you look at it we are all just renting space here on Earth. Some day we will be gone. Someone once said that time waits for no man. So there you have it. Budman 27 today dust tomarrow.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Wild Foamy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i must admit, i do sometimes leave this forum for a few weeks at a time, i just think this place moves too fast for me...

and whilst some do drift away from the hobby i know for sure that even if i am forced to sell up, no doubt i will keep something hidden away for that special day and no matter what happens i will always stick around the forums or keep in contact with those i knew... as for passing on from this hobby and indeed from life itself, i wouldnt care if i dropped dead at 30 years old aslong as i had enjoyed the life that i had.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:50 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have even seen a few guys come on, and then disappear for a few years, and then come back again.

Some guys leave the hobby, and some guys just get bored with computerized comeraderie.

We lost Art (GrnBrt) a while back, and most recently Bill Robbison (And damn near lost FLYBOY)

When you see me gone, send flowers to my wife

HAW!
Old 03-15-2007, 08:13 PM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I have even seen a few guys come on, and then disappear for a few years, and then come back again.

Some guys leave the hobby, and some guys just get bored with computerized comeraderie.

We lost Art (GrnBrt) a while back, and most recently Bill Robbison (And damn near lost FLYBOY)

HAW!
What happened to Flyboy?
Old 03-16-2007, 05:46 AM
MinnFlyer

Ed was in a very bad plane crash (Full Scale) about a year or two ago. He has been through a very long and painfull recovery, but he's slowly getting it together again.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:16 AM
Hill202
My Feedback: (24)

I'm glad to hear that he's doing ok
Old 03-16-2007, 07:11 AM
BUDMAN27

Ya what happen to FlyBoy ?
Old 03-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Darkbird
My Feedback: (7)

Financial concerns can keep a person off the forums for a while too. Taking a break from the hobby or at least the internet due to a lack of funds is probably all too common. I once had several hendred posts but they went bye-bye as this place has gone through its various changes and upgrades. I personally have gone through several periods of not having easy internet access, and this is always the first place I come back to when I get the chance.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:30 PM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

What happened to GrnBrt???
Old 03-17-2007, 09:11 AM
Mike Bogh
My Feedback: (14)

Gnbrt, aka Art Grabow Sr passed away last year from cardio pulm. disease, complicated by agent orange. I put 10 non-stop hard charging years in this hobby, and website/forums and 6 years as one of the original RCO moderators, (the first or second moderator of this forum, formerly known as the town square), then graciously accepted by Marc and the staff here at RCU where I was proud to serve here, as well. Made the best friends I could ever imagine here. A couple of personal tragedy's, illness, death of a parent, the last 2 years made me realize that a hobby just isn't as fun or rewarding unless your personal life/family/career is in order, loved ones are safe, and, your best friends stop dying.

Shoot I didn't hear about Bill Robinson, I consider him a dear friend. We spent dozens and dozens of hours on the phone, email, chatting up in the forums over the years. Damn.
Crap.
Blue Sky's and tailwind to take you home Bill, I'll continue to miss you Ole friend. Condolences to The Robinson family.

Save room at the card table for me whilst you and Artie keep tellin' each other lies from your youth.

Getting old ain't for Sissy's friends, and loosing friends just sucks out loud.

Hey, here's to you all who are still here, I tip mah hat and raise my glass!
Old 03-17-2007, 09:15 AM
drewhosick

Tis' me he speakith of.

As you can see, for someone that's been here since 2002, my post count is low. Was gone for 3 or 4 years then I came back a few weeks ago when I decided to get back into the hobby. Now that I have a job, I think I'll stick around a little more.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:43 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

I hope to hang out on this spinning rock for a lot more years; at least long enough to build all the kits sitting on shelves in the shop and fly them a few times. I hope when I'm gone, my models will get good "homes" and enjoyed by others. I could only hope to get as good a send-off as some of our recent losses have gotten.

Somebody fly a WWI model over my funeral and drop a wreath, like they did during the time, to pay respect to a fallen adversary.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:06 AM
MinnFlyer

ORIGINAL: BUDMAN27

Ya what happen to FlyBoy ?
See post #10 (The "Ed" I was referring to is FLYBOY)
Old 03-18-2007, 02:12 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Mike,

Fly found out what happens when the stupid mechanic has his head somewhere it shouldn't be and the engine explodes on take off. Heres what it looked like for those that missed it.

Kinda nice to be able to say I got out of that one!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81717.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	644618  
Old 03-18-2007, 02:15 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: FLYBOY

Kinda nice to be able to say I got out of that one!
Definitely have to thank whoever was watching out for your butt that day, don't ya??

Ken
Old 03-18-2007, 02:27 PM
FLYBOY

Yea, it is amazing to wonder what gave us the strength to climb out with broken backs, and just about every other bone on my right side and Scotts left side broken. If I would have been a bit faster, I might not have gotten burned. Scott just had some minor marks from the fire. I got the whole fireball from the 6th tank that exploded. Least I didn't get it in the face. I was ugly enough!
Old 03-19-2007, 01:09 PM
pepito9

Fly found out what happens when the stupid mechanic has his head somewhere it shouldn't be and the engine explodes on take off.
What made the engine explode?
Old 03-19-2007, 03:12 PM
FLYBOY

Mechanic had his head somewhere it shouldn't have been and left an instruction manual in the turbo filter. Actually, the turbo is what let go and shut the engine down at 100 feet, not enough room to do anything with. The valley out climbed us.[&o]
Old 03-19-2007, 03:18 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: FLYBOY

Mechanic had his head somewhere it shouldn't have been and left an instruction manual in the turbo filter. Actually, the turbo is what let go and shut the engine down at 100 feet, not enough room to do anything with. The valley out climbed us.[&o]
Man, it's that type of stupid screw up that makes you want to put your foot up somebody's backside!!!! Sheez, that really stinks.

Ken
Old 04-10-2007, 11:53 PM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still here...sometimes. I'm spending much more time building and flying and gardening and enjoying my family and restoring the house than I do online. RCU helped pass lots of boring time in the office. Now, retired at 41 with a printzmetals angina (spastic coronary arteries), I stay busy with the things I love and carry a bottle of nitrolingual spay wherever I go. I have learned so many new things from horticulture and landscaping to plastering, flooring and stone masonry and a dozen other skills needed to renovate a stone walled house and my flying has improved leaps and bounds. My 6 month old daughter comes to the field with me and she already watches every airplane taking off and landing and tracks them like a radar dish. Here she is napping and keeping my wingbag in place after our first Easter egg hunt. Now, RCU is for times like now...0600 feedings and hours when I cannot sleep but the family is. Or when I ask Mike if he's still into moonpies? Or when I decide that I am not a genius and need to request assistance with the occasional problem.

Regards,
Mark
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76745.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	661737  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.