Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Single Stick

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 02:18 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Single Stick

How many of you troops fly single stick & what are we going to do when they wear out ? Any ideas?
>>>>>>>>>big max 1935>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 02-16-2003, 02:43 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Default Single Stick

I flew single stick for about 25 years with Pro-line equipment. The equipment never did wear out - I just wanted to get a computerized system so I opted for the Futabe 8UAF two stick. At first I had a dickens of a time learning to fly all over again, and was about to give in when I decided to build a transmitter tray with shoulder straps. That did the trick. Without having to hold the transmitter, I once again got the feel of the sticks, and my hands were free to get to the trims - it didn't take long until I could fly just as good as I did with the single stick. So my advice to anybody making the change - build yourself a transmitter tray to start with.
Old 02-16-2003, 04:15 PM
big max 1935

Default Single Stick

Jim : You should have tried a Ace Pro 8000. I have used them since they first came out & believe they will still do things that the new radios won`t. Sure miss the Higginsville boys! Started with ORBIT back in late 60`s. Guess I tried them all but Pro-line. Still have most of them wrapped in plastic & up on a shelf. Old friends!
Don`t know how these thumb flyer`s do it , I fly two stick with two fingers on each stick. About the only thing I use my thumb alone for is to scratch my rear end.>>>>>>MAX
Old 02-16-2003, 05:23 PM
turbines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single Stick

I have 3 single stick radios:
ACE MicroPro 8000,
MicroStar 2000,
Proline Competition 6

Don't worry about wearing them out. Look what Marv Jensen offers from his business. www.jensenjetmodels.com
Marv bought the remaining parts and inventory and tooling from ACE not long ago. He even has the tooling to make you a new box. He makes a very! nice single stick mechanism.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:29 PM
Jim Messer

Default Single Stick

To big max:

Right after the Pro-lines, I did get an ACE Micro-Pro 8000 single stick, and for a couple of years it was fine. But I managed to crash three nice big airplanes - total loss of signal. That's when I switched to the Futaba.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:02 PM
big max 1935

Default Single Stick

JIM: I run three of them but do have a two stick that just quit for no reason. Went to program it in the shop & have "A failure to communicate" as the movie line went. Thats been three years ago & no need for it yet. Thats a very helpless feeling when one goes in & you know it`s not your fault ! >>>>>>MAX>>>>
Old 02-27-2003, 02:39 AM
donthor

Default Single Stick

Max I have been flying Kraft SS for over twenty years with no problems. Have 4 regular plus one Signature. Also have 3 Ace. T 8000. I fly with two but much prefer the single The Ace has to be one of the easiest to program Tx around.
Don
Old 02-27-2003, 03:17 AM
big max 1935

Default Single Stick

Glad to hear that there is still a few of us "knob" twisters around. Just a mater of time before the "BIG" three swing back our way again. They will discover it all by them selves! GOOD LUCK!!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>big max 1935>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 08-27-2003, 10:23 AM
SingleStick
My Feedback: (1)

Default Single Sticks

Single stick is the only way to fly. All of mine are Krafts with one Futaba and two Ace Silver Sevens. Sacrificed my old Aeromaster ('71) to the two stick gods...had a horible time...too much thinking!! Finally got the hang of it. Had to, to help now flyers learn. Worse case was when a new-bie (old guy) handed me his trans cause his plane went squirrley.....yeah, right....reversed ailerons...finally got it down, but had to tell him to shutup so I could think it down!!!
Old 08-27-2003, 10:34 AM
Mike Denest
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Single Stick

I have four Kraft SS radios. Series 73, Series 78, Series 80 and Mk. IV. They all fly and work great. I'm taking them with me to the next life along with the rest of my toys.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:35 PM
Grampaw

Default Single Stick

I still occasionally fly my Ace Olympic V single stick. Its AM, but we have no restrictions on AMs at our site. I built a Heath single stick 4 channel way back when. The single stick had a pot up top for rudder. The case was a slim "walkie talkie" type design, that rested in the palm of my left hand, held securely by a wide elastic strap. Don't know what "lefties" did. My fingers easily reached under to the right side where my third finger rested on the throttle lever. Two fingers of the right hand did the guidance work. I think that was the greatest TX design to come along yet. One of these days I'll stuff a modern 4 channel FM TX's guts in the case and use it again. I look for Hitec to add a pot to the stick on their SS TXs in the near future...its perfect for it.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:22 PM
big max 1935

Default Single Stick

Was in a hobby shop the other day & he had a NIB Ace Olympic V single stick that was built for a left handed flier , that's a little different! MAX H.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:25 PM
xp8103
My Feedback: (16)

Default Single Stick

Learned to fly on a ProLine Competition Series in the 70's (my Dad's.) Bought a JR Century 7 in the early 90's. Great unit cept for that damned knob and piss poor spring return.
Finally sold it several years ago. Too many landings with the rudder wagging.....
Old 08-29-2003, 06:48 AM
flicka5

Default Single sticks you say?

Have seven Jr SS and solution to stick knob problem is to not over rev it in extreme flying maneuvers and if it does slip, apply a few drops of thin Ca to the metal rod with the Tx. face down letting the Ca flow into the metal/ plastic knob interface joint. This has worked fine for me. Never had my 20+ some Kraft SS come lose but then again, they were US designed and manufactured. Do you suppose the current pack of plastic Tx's will hold up like the Kraft's have after 30 years. Ah, the good old computer-less days!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	105576_4974.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	34778  
Old 08-29-2003, 06:55 PM
ziggy-RCU

Default Single Stick

I HAVE 2 JR CENTRY SS AND A FUTABA SS ....NOTHING LIKE SINGLE STICKS. TOO BAD THE ARE NOT IN PRODUCTION ANYMORE..WHEN AMERICA HOOBY IN NEW YORK HAD A SALE ON FUTABA THE GUY TOLD ME THAT FUTABA WAS SURPRISED AT THE DEMAND FOR THEM SO THERE'S A FEEW OF US OUT HERE.. I HAVE STARTED TO US A TRAY ON 2 STICK BUT NOT RISKING ANY GOOD STUFF WITH IT. ZIGGY LAKE GENEVA,WI
Old 08-29-2003, 07:17 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Default Single Stick

Anyone attending the Summersville, WV fly-in last weekend knows what can happen when someone tries to hang on to an obsolete single-stick control. We had one individual that modified an older single-stick transmitter by replacing the circuit board with a new radio electronics but kept the old radio pot and stick.

He found out, the hardway, what happens when one of the leads on the pot comes loose. That 3rd-scale Hanger 9 Sukhoi miraculously missed the crowd of people and the cars when it crashed into the parking lot -- unfortunately the only other luck he had was it appears the engine (ZDZ-80) was not destroyed.

My point is: Bend with the times. Newer is almost always better (they made cars better in the old days is bunk!!!). Manufacturers do not support single-stick TXs anymore because, frankly, not enough interested flyers exist that warrant the production expense. Don't put the rest of us in jeopardy by trying to modify a tested and certified product.

IMHO!!!
Old 08-29-2003, 09:25 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Default Single Stick

Single-stick radios are starting to return in the park-flyer market. As many of the folks purchasing them are new to RC, we might yet start to see more single-stick transmitters marketed as these folks grow in the hobby.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:40 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Single Stick

Trying to figure out how to make a computer joystick with twistable rudder work with my Futaba 9C . Don't know if it would work off the buddy box jack. I'm afraid I'm electronically demented. Any ideas?
Old 08-30-2003, 12:39 AM
alexm

Default Anyone still make them?

There is a guy in my club who flew single stick years ago and would like to know if they are still available new.
Anyone know??

Alex
Old 08-30-2003, 02:25 AM
big max 1935

Default Single Stick

Alex : The only single sticks available now are just 3 channel by Hi-tec & Futaba. I look for FMA to come out with one some day , after all he promised . Some one will discover that there is still a market out there for them. I hope . MAX H.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:19 PM
flicka5

Default Obsolete??

hilleja: your example of problem or obsolete single sticks doesn't hold water. Anyone without
proper electronics/soldering techniques can screw up the innards of any transmitter whether one stick or two. The reason single sticks left the scene was the costs factor to produce. Two stick
Tx. were found cheaper to produce and the RC newbies most always start with less dollars for equipment, hence the proliferation of two sticks.
Ergonomically, the single stick is superior in design. How many joy sticks for computer flight games involve two sticks??? My Microsoft joy stick works exactly like a single stick transmitter, three controls in one stick! Surprise, surprise! Again one has to have had experience using both types of RC transmitters to make any judgment as to what is better. Saw a new computer single stick transmitter two days ago that the pilot had over $1000 in it. It is called the MicroStar. So, some people out there are willing to spring for a superior, custom design but not enough to warrant mass production. No, the case was not plastic nor was the stick gimbel mechanism plastic. My guess is that it will still be around thirty years from now.

The image is not the MicroStar 2000 but the Ace Micropro SS for left handers!

Name:	106416_4974.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	34779  
Old 09-01-2003, 06:15 PM
turbines

Default obsolete.. not!!

My MicroStar 2000
Just finished and working great. There will not be any thing coming loose inside either!

Name:	106441_719.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	34780  
Old 09-01-2003, 06:17 PM
turbines

Default Single Stick

Another shot of the M*2k

Name:	106442_719.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	34781  
Old 09-01-2003, 06:21 PM
turbines

Default Single Stick

flicka5!!
that darn stick is on the wrong side of the transmitter!!
are you some kinda south paw?

so am I!!
Old 09-01-2003, 09:28 PM
flicka5

Default Southpaw?

Turbines: naw, I am right handed but fly single stick with the transmitter antennae between my legs! JUST KIDDING! The Micropro 8000 SS shown above was custom made by Ace for a left hander. If you are a southpaw, why isn't your stick on the left side? You must be a switch hitter type?
In any case the two stick guys don't know what there missing!! Nice looking MicroStar you have there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.