Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

tower hobbies

Old 04-04-2007, 10:01 PM
yellerchamp
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tower hobbies

Sorry about this blowing off a little steam. Ordered from tower, they shipped via mail took 11 days shipping cost $9.00. Got it , wrong part sent it back cost $1.70, they had it in 2 days. This the second time in 2 months, they e-mailed me and apologized said I was in a bad zip code area. Yeah right I recieve shipping every day in my business and never have a problem. I dont want to quit tower but oh well. I am not complaining about the prices or products but something is wrong up there.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:25 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: tower hobbies

do you have an LHS?
Old 04-05-2007, 08:18 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Shop around. Much, if not all of the items Tower carries are available elsewhere. I have not made a purchase with tower in 5 years.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:27 AM
sfsjkid

hey yellerchamp, yup, tower screwed up my last two orders, and they forgot to enclose one item, and sent me a spinner instead of a prop. This hasn't been the first times, but an email always fixes things. Generally they tell me to keep the mistaken item, and I have the right item within a few days.

As for shipping times, well, USPS takes about 10~14 days, FedEx Ground and UPS overnight to 6 days, depending on Tower's ship time and whether it comes from Nevada or Illinois (I'm in CA). I've specified UPS only on my account to help avoid delays.

Sorry guys, I'm one satisfied customer, it would be hard to stay in the hobby without them.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

The last two Mondays I have placed internet orders with Horizon and Tower within a few minutes apart. In each instance I have ordered samll. in-stock items. Both times it went the same. On Thursday I would receive my order from Horizon and get an email from Tower saying my order was ready to ship.

Both have been very accutrate and complete though. Just seems like it takes forever to get stuff from Tower.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:18 PM
sfsjkid

Funny how experiences differ. Horizon is good but always a couple of days or more slower than Tower. Also, with Tower I can get free shipping at $150 and over, along with whatever discount they have for the month, maybe a free item, gift certificate or two and possibly a 3 pay option. Horizon is difficult to justify in that I generally only need parts, and hard to justify the shipping. Generally get the Horizon stuff at the LHS, guess that is what they intended.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:11 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

I quit ordering from any of the larger distributors a couple of years ago, when out LHS opened. They ship it out to him generally the same day he orders, he doesn't charge me shipping, and on higher dollar items I usually get it a bit cheaper by going through him. At any rate, I have never paid more through him than I can order it direct for.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:59 AM
IronCross

Horizon is much slower here too... If the Tower order is coming out of Reno the joke around here is "Click on Submitt and go stand on the front steps ".... Almost that fast... Ususlly a couple days... If the order is coming out of Ill it takes at least a week...
I bought a ARF from Horizon (Seagull Decathlon) and the fuselage was missing some parts etc... Long story short it took 5 weeks to get a replacement ... Had a Mustang ARF from Tower that had a bad wing... Took 3 days to get a replacement and then use the box to ship the bad one back to them..
Old 04-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Bigshark

Interesting. Tower shipping to St. Louis has always been darn near overnight via UPS and even USPS smaller items within 2-3 days. Never had a problem with not getting the right item, though once they did include a "free" sanyo 8 cell AA pack.

No offense to the LHS but $5 is one heck of a premium on an item like a prop. I'll stick to Tower unless it's an emergency or something really bulky or hand picked quality like balsa or plywood.......

Horizon is pretty lightening quick to St. Louis too.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:32 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

always had great service from tower myself
Old 04-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to order a lot of items from Tower. I was a pretty happy custokmer up until about 18 months ago.

Items that I paid extra shipping on used to ship the very next business day, or sometimes that same day if I placed the order early in the morning. I was happy. Got my stuff in about 3 days for $5--$8 shipping. Most of my orders are larger, and I'd take the free shipping and then kick in a couple extra $$ for the premium shipping.

Now, it seams it takes them 2--3 days just to ship it. I dunno what happened. I'll bet it's a manager in the warehouse. He/she is probably a total idiot, and nobody wants to work hard for that person. Unhappy employees--more mistakes.

I've had to send a couple engines back for warranty issues. 4 or 5 years ago, I'd get a fixed or new engine back in about 3-5 working days.

Last year, I sent a couple of their TH .75 engines back for service and Tower completely disappointed me. They rebuilt an engine that had a bearing failure. It was a mess inside, and they rebuilt it for me. I'd have preferred a new engine. It was almost brand new when it took a dump. Less than 2 gallons of fuel. It came back with shards of metal shavings in the crankcase. They supposedly rebuilt it, but I decided to take the backplate off just for giggles. CHUNKS of metal in the bottom of the case. Leftover bearings from when it blew up, but nobody thought it necessary to flush the case before reassembly and shipping. What a bunch of tools? ! [&o]

They don't have the good deals like they used too. The scratch N dent page used to be refreshed with new stuff every couple days. I think they've had those same stupid Hobbico electrics and Flatouts since last spring. The prices they are charging for the damage or missing parts isn't a deal at all. They'll list an engine without a box or muffler and have it listed for $20 under retail for a NIB engine. But, the darn muffler costs $35. Thats not a bargain. Thats a joke.

They don't have the nice $25 off coupons on $150 anymore. Best deal I've seen recently is a $10 off $150 order. Now you have to order $200 to get $25 off. I haven't recieved a Free Ship on $50 coupon in almost a year.

I still order from Tower. But, I'm slowly finding more and more shops on the net to get all my stuff. Tower doesn't have much in the way of parts and accessories for GS airplanes either. I just make sure and get all my buddies together so we can combine our orders and try to work the system in that manner to save a few more bucks.

LHS? Yeah, they're good for fuel. Everything else is too expensive and the 15yr old kids that work there are worthless. Can't even tell you if they have a gear set in stock for a Hitec 475. The only props they have are Zingers, APC and Master Corkscrew. Nobody carries any of the good props for GS stuff. Menz, MSC, NX, BME etc...
Old 04-11-2007, 09:56 PM
IronCross

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet

IThey don't have the nice $25 off coupons on $150 anymore. Best deal I've seen recently is a $10 off $150 order. Now you have to order $200 to get $25 off. I haven't recieved a Free Ship on $50 coupon in almost a year.
You need to get out more [:'(] Just a couple weeks ago Tower had a 30.00 off of 150.00 going... Losts of us got the on sale Mag .91 4 strokes etc for 119.00 to our door... Best price I have ever seen on those...
There is a thread on here where the guys are listing all the sale codes they get... Seems to still be plenty of them.. I get the free shipping on 50 bucks almost every month from them...
Check out [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2666057/anchors_5702358/mpage_9/key_/anchor/tm.htm#5702358]Sales Code[/link]
Old 04-12-2007, 12:33 AM
Spitfire222

So far, I havent had any problems or issues with Tower. Just yesterday morning, I ordered a HOB kit, and according to the package tracking, I should be expecting it tomorrow for sure. Two days from Illinois to Maryland with the standard shipping is pretty good for me. Also got the $20 off $50 deal on this one. Sorry to hear about you guys not being satisfied with them...