Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

I've joined the "Dark Side" II

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

I've joined the "Dark Side" II

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 01:46 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: I've joined the "Dark Side" II

Silver - I never realised that the DS gliders are 30 lbs! Hehehee ...
Old 05-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some are.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:15 PM
biplanemurphy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fly electrics and glow.....I think the "DARK SIDE" is those Brushed motor electrics with ni-cad batts. So many new guys in our club show up with them. Hand launch it right into the ground!!! We tell them how to upgrade, but they never listen untill after the short flight resembling a game of lawndarts.[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 06-07-2007, 10:18 PM
tIANci

Murphy - don't laugh at the NiCd guys ... heheheee ... I know what you mean. Seriously, a couple of years ago in the UK they were still running NiMH batts and happily flying their planes. Guess its about getting the right power plants and plane combo. But of course lipo helps in keeping the plane light.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:36 PM
biplanemurphy

tIAnci.....Have to laugh when they ignore advise from LHS owner and club guys!!
But the true CRIME is the manufacturers putting really weak underpowered brushled motors in their planes just to charge more and get rid of their obsolete equipment. They are the Dark Side !!!!![sm=punching.gif]
This includes the glow planes as well!! I recently built a GP Super Skybolt Kit with an O.S. 120-4 stroke. The maximum recommended engine. It flies well!! However the minimum recommended .60 2-stroke would never pull that fat(heavy) plane around. I think it would be dangerously underpowered!![sm=drowning.gif]

Beware the Dark Side..........Chris/Murph
Old 06-07-2007, 11:53 PM
tIANci

murphy - I maidened a couple of so called RTF Cessna 182s ... man it was hillarious. If it were flown by a newbie the plane would not have lasted. You get sufficient power to fly for just a couple of minutes and then its really nasty. But somehow a lot of those planes get sold ... its sad.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:18 AM
biplanemurphy

Tell me about it..........One newbie brought one(cessna 182) to the field, and my buddy test flew it for him.(I have had him test fly a few of my planes) After a few low level laps around the field, I suggested gaining altitude. After a few more laps I repeated the suggestion. His reply was " I've been trying to climb since take-off!! [sm=drowning.gif] I sold the newbie an E-flite 450 outrunner I wasn't using, and then RTF-bashed his plane (installed it for him With all the other needed mods, including esc and li-po power.)
The cessna was then test piloted by me. Flew great. Climbs were near vertical. Loops,rolls,snaps, inverted flight etc...
It became a real plane!!!!
Wish the Evil-doers at the manufacturers would at least provide adequate power to not be a hazzard!!
Come on "parkzone join us on the Light side"....

May we all recieve massive vertical performance and clear blue skies............ Chris/Murph[sm=teeth_smile.gif]
Old 06-08-2007, 12:55 AM
tIANci

Murphy - what ParkZone? I am lost ...
Old 06-08-2007, 01:22 AM
biplanemurphy

I thnk Parkzone makes that ill-equipped cessna.........[sm=punching.gif]
Old 06-08-2007, 01:24 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: biplanemurphy

One newbie brought one(cessna 182) to the field, and my buddy test flew it for him.(I have had him test fly a few of my planes) After a few low level laps around the field, I suggested gaining altitude. His reply was " I've been trying to climb since take-off!!

I sold the newbie an E-flite 450 outrunner I wasn't using........

The cessna was then test piloted by me. Flew great. Climbs were near vertical. Loops,rolls,snaps, inverted flight etc...

It became a real plane!!!!

Wish the Evil-doers at the manufacturers would at least provide adequate power to not be a hazzard!!
Interesting. So, how many real Cessna 182's have you seen do near vertical climb, loops, rolls, snaps, inverted flight etc?

I would venture to say that the mfg produced and sold a scale looking airplane that flies in a scale like manner.

tIANci: My alter-ego, Jekyl and Hyde evil twin, has been seen flying this electric foamy parkflyer around. He should be caged and not let out into public again! [sm=omg_smile.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57314.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	699743  
Old 06-08-2007, 01:38 AM
biplanemurphy

well Kmot......Maybe flying a scale model like a 3-d plane isn't neccesary, But it is nice to achieve more than 20 feet of altitude before batts. go dead!!
By the way....The old guys at my club are always telling me "those WW1 bipes weren't capable of flying like that"......HA HA!!

Fly it like you stole it............Chris

P.S. stock Cessna looked Scale, Flew like a Rock!!
Old 06-08-2007, 01:50 AM
biplanemurphy

Oh yea..........Kmot.....I had a feeling you were a secret lover of electric flight!!
Have you retired your glow planes yet????

Chris
Old 06-08-2007, 02:01 AM
tIANci

Kmot - come on admit it openly, COME OUT OF THE CLOSET. You love EP!!! Now is the reason because you enjoy the ease and power or are you getting LAZY like me? What plane is that? Looks very nice ...

Murphy - I got what you mean by ParkZone now, thought it was another thead in here, hehehehe
Old 06-08-2007, 11:17 AM
biplanemurphy

Maybe this one is part of the "Dark Side"?
Sure makes my wallet look dark and empty inside!!

.............Chris/ Murph

P.S. This one wihen complete will have cost more than my Camaro!![sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Name:	Jg13911.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	699915  
Old 06-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Kmot

LOL!

I got it because a couple of the fella's in my model boating club fly the park flyer things weekly in a local soccer field during the middle of the week and I wanted to join them. They fly those ugly looking stick things, and those foam things that are not models of anything in real life. But I wanted to hang out and fly with them so I got this E-Flite Jenny because it looks scale based on a real plane.

Ease and power? Nah, it is much more hassle than glow! 1st, I have to charge the lipos in a BBQ so that I don't burn down my house! 2nd, I have to lug my charger to the field with me instead of a can of fuel. 3rd, I can't here the little SOB if it is running or not and so when the dinky lipo runs out all of a sudden I gotta land. Like flying an .049 I suppose but at least you KNOW when it stops turning.

Name:	Yw67572.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	699927  
Old 06-08-2007, 12:05 PM
tIANci

Kmot - you poor thing ... hahaha ... I just put the batt into a coffee mug and charge, never had any incident. One of my pals has gone though like a thousand charges or more, he has never hd an incident. Get a few batts and you will be fine ... 6-8 would be good! hahahahaa ... The Jenny is a beauty, saw pics of it in the mag ... very nice ...
Old 06-08-2007, 11:19 PM
biplanemurphy

Hi guys.........Never had trouble with lipo batts..............
However....... local guy was charging in house, batt started to swell, carried it outside and a few feet out the door "POOF" it burst into flames!![>:]
Same guy was charging a Batt in his ISUZU TROOPER, In the back with doors closed. Dog was in there too!! Battery burst into flames and almost killed dog and car in one fell swoop!! Lucky someone saw and saved the dog, and pulled fiery battery from car....some damage but not a total loss!! Only two incidents locally, and both to the same guy!!

Kmot that is a real nice flashlight with wings!!

Fly it like you stole it......Chris/murph
Old 06-09-2007, 03:38 AM
tIANci

We had one guy charging the batt in the car while he was driving, the way he described it was hillarious! I think its not safe to charge in the car fron the cigarrette lighter jack.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:26 AM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

Heh, my flight instructor (die-hard glow guy) went to electric about a year ago. He crashed the E-flite Mini-Edge 540 on its maiden, and we were all giving him a hard time about it, with comments like, "Don't spill any electrons on the runway!" and "I think you need to change the glow plug!"
Old 06-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Kmot

Perfect! I need a skosche more weight up front on that Jenny. I think I will glue some dead glow plugs up there. Thanks for the idea IBFN! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 06-09-2007, 02:07 PM
tIANci

Kmot - get a bigger battery!
Old 06-09-2007, 08:33 PM
biplanemurphy

At our club after you take-off on your first solo flight, you become fair game for the hecklers/peanut gallery. You don't even have to crash to recieve lots of "helpful comments!!

Kmot.......Glue a glow plug on the top front like a radiator cap!

Here's one for you guys......I was flying my GP Fokker D-VII Like a madman.........Snaps etc....Then went inverted and the Batt fell out!! Flipped it over and Batt was hanging down by landing gear!!
C.G. was still pretty good, so I Brought her in to land, and greased her in.
At the very last second the batt went under one wheel and flipped her over for the perfect nose-over scale WW1 landing.
No damage.......Lots of heckling.[]

Chris/Murph
Old 06-09-2007, 08:39 PM
tIANci

Murphy - I tried to do a hard wall on one of my EP profiles ... no need to guess where the battery went ... most interesting seeing the plane float down with no power/control.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:46 PM
biplanemurphy

tIANci......Had a katana profile with .46ax engine. Flew a full throttle pass over far side of field. Yanked the stick back to do the tightest loop ever(Had done it many times before). Wings folded like a piece of paper!!
Floated to the ground like an autogyrating helicopter.
Engine-radio-servos all intact......plane-history.

Murphy
Old 06-09-2007, 08:50 PM
tIANci

Murphy - that I have yet to do ... at my field is am known by some as the Nut Who Flies Only EP. I organised a fun fly for like 30 flyers and at the fun fly I was going to maiden my WM Super Chipmunk in EP. When I lifted off all the heckling started "There is no noise!" "Dead stick ... dead stick!" Oh well ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.