Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

PayPal? Is it just me?

Old 04-26-2007, 11:44 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PayPal? Is it just me?

Just wondering if I am the only person who will pass up a ad in the market Place if the seller does not take PayPal. same on E-bay, no payPal, no bid.
There are just too many ways to get screwed and, I like the safety of PayPal. I know there are some who have had problems with PayPal, but the percentage is low.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: PayPal? Is it just me?

I prefer PayPal for the lack of hassle in payment. It's far easier to send an electronic payment than it is to go out, get a M.O., address an envelope and mail it. Cheaper, too.

If I pay through PayPal with a CC, I can always stop the payment.

Dr.1
Old 04-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I've never used paypal, never had the need. How does it work and do you have to setup an account first. What kind of protection does it offer. From some of the burns I've read about, it sounded like paypal left you on your own.
Edwin
Old 04-26-2007, 01:11 PM
Jim Thomerson

I ordinarily don't bid if the seller doesn't take PayPal, nor if shipping and handling is excessive. Broke my rule on both a while back and got a nice engine cheap.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:16 PM
rcmiket

PayPal has changed the whole way I shop online. It really is simple and safe. No problems so far. More and more suppliers are taking it now.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:29 PM
KW_Counter

I prefer PayPal but won't ignore a REALLY good item because they won't take it.
I also watch for excessive freight and always figure it and tax when figuring the savings.
I need a pretty good savings when buying from an unknown versus a known such as Tower etc.
Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 04-26-2007, 02:30 PM
heli_Rod

PayPal is a great way to pay for purchases online...BUT.....learn the in's and outs before you start using it. PayPal is notorious for phishers trying to get your passwordsor account information....I know because they got mine once and cleaned out $3,000 before I could get it stopped. Fortunately my bank replaced the money. You do have to know what your doing. Read to tutorials that E-Bay and PayPal have available.

Like I said, it's a great way to buy online, but know what your doing first.

Rod
Old 04-26-2007, 02:33 PM
rcmiket

They warn you up front to beware of the "bad guys". I get spoof emails all the time just send them off to paypal and let them deal with it. Sorry you got burned. overall I'm real satisfied with the protection they offer.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:28 PM
TLH101

Now, I will admit, if it's a "killer deal" I will use a M/O if the seller does not take P/P, but not too often.

One of the problems with the P/P frauds is the same as all the bank frauds: the old "your information needs updated, click here" type of e-mails. I don't EVER follow a link from an e-mail, if it is to a "Password" protected site. I always go to the site from MY shortcut, and log in. That's not 100% sure safe way, but it cuts way down on the chances of getting burned.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:41 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

www.paypalsucks.com

I sell things here and there on ebay and I never ever take paypal payments because to do so I would have to associate it with a bank account and I Will not give them access to any bank account.

I have mine associated with my Amex card because it has extremely good protections on it. I will make payments with paypal but I won't take payments with it. A double standard I know but I don't sell a lot, just a few things here and there.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:16 PM
bolar
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: heli_Rod

PayPal is a great way to pay for purchases online...BUT.....learn the in's and outs before you start using it. PayPal is notorious for phishers trying to get your passwordsor account information....I know because they got mine once and cleaned out $3,000 before I could get it stopped. Fortunately my bank replaced the money. You do have to know what your doing. Read to tutorials that E-Bay and PayPal have available.

Like I said, it's a great way to buy online, but know what your doing first.

Rod
The same thing happened to me. Pay Pal has their 100% protection guarantee and it worked for me. I got all of my money back, from the bank and what I had in my Pay Pal account[sm=thumbup.gif].
Old 04-26-2007, 05:46 PM
rcmiket

Just curious did either of you get burned because you responded to a "bogus" email and did you give them your information?
Old 04-26-2007, 06:45 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Pay Pal is great. I've used it for a long time. Never had a problem, paying someone or getting paid. Even Tower uses it. From sales my Pay Pal account builds up, when I buy something it never shows up on the Credit card billing or check book. Hard to buy a gift for your wife and really surprise her - but Pay Pal made it a lot easier.

Sure I get a lot of pay-pal and e-bay spoofs, who doesn't? The people that get sucked in on these are the same ones that give their credit card number to the charity soliciting over the phone for police benevolent associations, phony veteran organization and any number of other scams. I my perfect world the penalty for people engaged in these would be death by crushing under mountains of discard computers and monitors.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:19 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paypal works for me. Has ever since they created themselves. I have never lost money because of anything Paypal did. I refuse to buy from anyone who does not accept Paypal. I don't have the time or temperament to stand in a long azz line at the Post Office for a money order. Also, there is no paper trail on an MO unless you pay all sorts of extra money for Certified, Return Reciept, Signature Conf, etc. Paypal is no fuss, no muss. There is an electronic paper trail, and the CC company will prosecute reprobates and scoundrels.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:26 AM
GRANT ED

I have used paypal a bunch of times and have never had a problem. I am like others here in that I won't bid on something I can't use pay pal to pay for. Its just far to easy not to use it.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:13 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used PayPal to purchase a kit here on RCU and never saw the kit. I contacted PayPal with all the information and after a couple of weeks, PayPal sent me an email that said I had proven my case and had won my dispute. That was wonderful news, however I have never seen a dime of my money back, nor have I seen the kit. As far as I am concerned, PayPal safety net is useless. Good Luck, Dave
Old 04-27-2007, 08:08 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

David,

Yor story more closely matches the experiences of other people that I personally know that have had a problem. Two others that I've worked with have had repeated billings for the same item over a multi month period (totaling thousands of $) via Paypal, and last I heard were still in class action suit against them.

I don't and won't use Paypal. Since they feel the need to have direct access to all my personal banking and information there is too much room for fraudulent access to my funds. Perhaps I'm not trusting enough, but if someone feels they can't send a certified check or money order then for me it isn't worth the risk. I'd do it for them. Reading through all the rules and regulations pertaining to Paypal and you find there is little room for recourse and recovery in most transactions.

Credit cards have excellent levels of protection and have always worked well. I'll remain inside that safety net.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:35 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Silversurfer
Perhaps I'm not trusting enough, but if someone feels they can't send a certified check or money order then for me it isn't worth the risk. I'd do it for them.
Same here.

I use paypal, but I hate it. It's hard to do anything on the internet without paypal today.

I ask people to either use paypal or send me a US Postal money order. Some people get all tweaked and upset about that. I've actually received a fraudulent money order in the past. Laser printers are a thing of wonder. Thats why I only accept the Postal MO if someone wants to send that form of payment. Forge a US Postal MO--get caught--and you'll be spending a few years in the pokey.

I don't understand why guys make such a big deal out of going to the PO and getting a money order. Slap it in a Priority mailer for $3 and your done. I don't think I've ever spent more than 5 minutes in a PO line. Whats the big deal?
Old 04-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I guess I fall in along the lines of silversurfer. I'm not a very trusting guy and I know a bunch of people that have been burned on internet transactions. I understand there are more that have success, I just cant afford to take the hit from a burn. And I wont give any organization direct access to any of my accounts again. Did that once, never again. Having said that, I do buy from companies that have a pretty good reputation and I use the credit card. I buy from individuals face to face at swapmeets.
Edwin
Old 04-27-2007, 08:52 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

If I am selling something on-line I only accept U.S. Postal Service Money orders. They are readily available, and I know they are good.

Sorry paypal, I don't know you personally, you can't have access to my personal accounts...and I am not expending the time, effort, and funds to maintain one just for you.

I guess writing and address on an envelope and affixing a stamp makes getting a good deal to hard for the instant gratification generation...MORE GOOD DEALS FOR ME!!!
Old 04-27-2007, 10:46 AM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

I now use a bank account that is only for paypal. When i get money in it i transfer it to my main bank account. When i need money in it i transfer it from my main bank account. All this can be done on line in a few minutes at my banks web site. That way there is never any funds in the paypal bank account to get messed with.
Pat
PS. My wife works at a bank and after asking her a few things about money orders. Fraudulent money orders are on the rise and the bank she works at see's "a few" every day. I don't know about USPS money orders they might be safer and if i do take a MO that is the only kind i will accept.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi TLH101;

Greetings from hot and dry Florida.

I purchase a lot of items on eBay, etc., and pay for most of them via Paypal, for the sake of convenience and safety, but many Sellers do not use PayPal, and request payment via USPS Money Order, or even Personal Cheques. This also Ok with me. EBay has an excellect Buyer/Seller Feedback Profile System, wherein on each tranaction both the Buyer and Seller leave Feedback on each other, which you can refer too and read.....SO! if I see a Seller with a number of Negative Feedbacks, I simply pass on them and their items, why ask for trouble.
I have had only good results with PayPal, eBay, and RCU herein, and can speak from 10+ yrs of online purchasing/trading/selling experience; good communication with the buyer seller is also a necessary part of any transaction.

Just another guy's 2 cents worth, best regards from Florida's beautiful Gulf Coast,

Joe Nagy.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:30 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think I've ever spent more than 5 minutes in a PO line. Whats the big deal?
Average time at my PO is 30 minutes. More often it is like 45 minutes.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:26 PM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: Kmot

I don't think I've ever spent more than 5 minutes in a PO line. Whats the big deal?
Average time at my PO is 30 minutes. More often it is like 45 minutes.
Exactly! Meanwhile at 7-11 they sell money orders that are cheaper and much faster to get. They are Western Union if I remember. In addition you can pick up needed supplies for the game.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:08 PM
TLH101

ORIGINAL: Stripes

Exactly! Meanwhile at 7-11 they sell money orders that are cheaper and much faster to get. They are Western Union if I remember. In addition you can pick up needed supplies for the game.
Those are not postal M/O and many of them are easy to counterfeit. When I get a M/O that is not from the P/O, I don't ship until it clears the "issuing" institution. That can take up to 2 weeks. Postal M/O get cashed at the P/O before I ship. Same with any smart seller.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.