Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Runways

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 01:01 PM
jdavis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runways

Hello all! I have a question about runways...

Currently, I belong to a club that uses a dirt runway. Basically, anywhere where there is not weeds, is runway. It makes it nice for us beginners, we dont really have to worry about running out of runway... However, it makes for dirty, dusty planes, and it is harder on the landing gear. Not to mention, when it rains (if it rains), it gets all lumpy and bumpy.
So. I have asked our club officers, "Why dont we pave it?" The answer is, because we don't own the land, and if "they" ever kicked us off, we'd have to clean it up blah blah blah.
Grass would help with the dirt, but I think it wouldnt do much good as far as landing gear stress goes... plus being in the desert, it would cost WAY to much to water.

So, to make a short question long, I was wondering if anyone knew of a semi-permanent surface that we could use. Keep in mind that our summers tend to hover around 100, so it would have to stand up to the heat and sun, plus not blow away in the wind.

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2002, 02:34 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default runways

I've got your answer. We put down a type of petro-matt.
It cost about 1/4 the price of ashphalt and we put it
down ourselves in a week of evenings. Check it out on our web site. If your interested I will put you in touch with the Dale Walker
who was our club president at the time. He knows the ins and outs of it. Ours has been down three years. If you look at our
heli pictures it still is in great shape.
Later David

www.mbcsi.com/flyingaces
Old 08-22-2002, 09:57 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runways

We have a paved runway (sweet!) with bearings marked on each end, lines, etc...

Our pits area is that fake grass carpet stuff: Astroturf I think they call it. The stuff you'd carpet your sun-deck with. It's usually sold in rolls. Ours is laid out on crushed gravel (drainage), and is failry tough. Rips are fixed with Duct tape. Stake it down with nails, etc..

I've seen / heard of other clubs using old conveyor belt material. Same type of idea as described above, but is a little more resiliant. it's usually rubberized, and black. the only problem is finding a local company who's throwing out enough to make a runway. Calling around, you might find some..

You might also think about 'oiling' your runway, to keep the dust down. Call up the local paving company, and see about their services. The only thing with that is 'enviromental impact'.

Hope that lends a 'thought direction'..