Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Does Your Club Require a Spotter

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Does Your Club Require a Spotter

Old 03-03-2003, 07:48 PM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does Your Club Require a Spotter

I fly at one field that uses the taxiway for a very small, rural airport. Although we seldom see a plane land or takeoff, we require a spotter while one (usually) or more people are flying to watch for full-scale traffic. At a second club I belong to, a spotter is required if there are two or more planes in the air at the same time.

Are spotters required at your fields and what do you think of the requirement? Some fliers don't like it as it takes time from their flying session and, in fact, we have lost members because of it

RCPAUL
Old 03-03-2003, 08:07 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I have spotters at my local club because we fly on an active airport taxiway.

In other clubs I have been in (not on active airports), no spotters are necessary or required.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:14 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have never flown anyhwere that required one. I personally use one as much as possible, but that is just my preference. Most people I know don't.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:17 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No.

It is very rare at our club to have more than 2 airplanes in the air at one time. On the rare occasions when there is three or more, people usually volunteer to spot quite readily.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:28 PM
dant-RCU
My Feedback: (3)

We have only required spotters at events.

Dan
Old 03-03-2003, 09:48 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Same as Dan.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:50 PM
Roby

The use of a spotter at my field is not required but I have
requested one from time to time depending on who's at the
flight line

Regards
Roby
Old 03-03-2003, 11:09 PM
Silvanskii
My Feedback: (17)

I belong to 2 clubs. One is at a full size runway and requires a spotter at all times and events.

The other is a small out of the way club that doesn't require a spotter except at events.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:56 PM
Wonder
My Feedback: (7)

No spotter required!

But then again, we seldom have more than one or two planes in the air at one time.

Tim
Old 03-04-2003, 02:18 AM
MAJSteve
My Feedback: (-1)

We REQUIRE a spotter if:
1. someone has done something patently unsafe until they prove that it was an isolated incident.

If a flyer is put on probation because of violating a safety rule, we require a spotter up to 6 months.

We suggest a spotter if you're new to the field, an admitted novice, orthink you need one.

People generally volunteer to spot covertly (they walk up and offer their assistance or just stand by and keep an eye on the other planes).
Old 03-04-2003, 03:51 AM
rryman
My Feedback: (2)

Our club recommends a spotter be used when there are more than two airplanes in the sky. Usually have no trouble getting someone to help. I've noticed that the pilots tendency to use a spotter goes up in direct proportion to the value of the plane he's flying.
Randy
Old 03-04-2003, 04:04 AM
ilikeplanes

Spotter? I understand sharing a strip with full scale operations, but how would a spotter help in a multi-model environment? I think I could avoid a mid-air better without a spotter. We get up to five airplanes in the air at once. No spotters required.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:18 AM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The reason I like one, especially if I am flying the heli doing aerobatics, is that I like to be able to ask where something or someone is without looking for them. I have had the heli in the air and out of nowhere a group of kids started running toward it. I flew it back to us, but they were coming fast and I didn't know what they would do because they were pretty small, so I turned it on its side and set it down. Was the only thing I could do to stop the blades fast. They ran right up to it. I wouldn't normally do something like that but I felt there was no choice at the time. I couldn't go up and hover high till we got them moved for a reason I can't really remember because it was a while ago. I just like to have one there to tell me who is doing what, and where. Had one spaz flying one time and crashed and the parts rolled right between my legs and my spotters. Didn't have time to move. Lots of reasons to have one there, not many to not have one there if someone is available. Also fun to chat when you are flying.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:37 AM
stikpilot

OUR CLUB HAS FOUR FLIGHT STATIONS AND ON ANY GIVEN WEEKEND ALL STATIONS ARE BEING USED,SO WE HAVE A SPOTTER REQUIREMENT IN OUR FIELD OPERATIONAL RULES, PLUS WE SHARE OUR FLYING SITE WITH A HELICOPTER CLUB. THE PRIME REASON FOR A SPOTTER IS SAFETY AND YOU CAN'T BE TO SAFE.

PROBRO #205