Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

HOUSTON Area/Fuel Supply

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 05:59 PM
Q-Ball
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOUSTON Area/Fuel Supply

Am wondering where you guys get your fuel..I'm from Beaumont and for 10% we're around $17.00.A guy over here used to go to Houston and buy fuel,I think Witches Brew a bit cheaper.I'm wondering where I can go over there and buy fuel for myself and maybe more club members and what it sells for.If it would be worth the trip.Can yall put me in touch with someone that can beat the price????
Thanx...Walt
Old 03-12-2003, 06:28 PM
Tx_RcFlyer
My Feedback: (7)

It's ritches brew. Our club buys it directly from the mfg. We then sell 10% 2 cycle fuel for $10/gal and 15% four cycle fuel for $11/gal to our club members.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:47 PM
Texas 3D
My Feedback: (16)

Go to:

http://www.ritchsbrew.com/

I am pretty sure you can get a good price from him. Give him a call and pick some up. Good fuel ! He will be in Toledo too.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:29 PM
kidkadet

Default Ritches' Brew

Q-ball

At different times we have had people bring Ritches' Brew to the field. I have only seen one motor run well on this. I have not tried it because I have have seen engines run great on Byrons and as soon as they put Ritches' in they start to run bad. They then would switch back to Byrons and engines smooth out.

One of the guys at the field said that he has seen where the mix the Ritches' Brew and the 55 gallon drums with the methanol had water sittting on top. I did not see this myself but it came from a very respected source. I am not a chemist but it is my understanding that methanol is hydroscopic, so it would absorb the water on top if the drums were not seal properly.

My thought is we spend a lot of money on planes and engines, so to me it is not worth saving a couple of dollars on fuel. If you try some and have good luck let me know.
Old 03-12-2003, 09:59 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Austin is just a couple hours away...

Powermaster is right outside Austin. I've used Ritches and Powermaster and I prefer Powermaster. Just my $.02 YMMV

http://www.powermasterfuels.com/
Old 03-13-2003, 05:07 AM
Gene Chernosky
My Feedback: (182)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Randy Ritch has my vote...125%

I'd shop here WELL before ANYWHERE else...WHY?...He IS an HONEST businessman...what more could you ask for? I've visited with him in person and he is a 'stand-up kinda guy' IMO. When I need fuel, HE is my ONLY source...problem is my 'homebrew fuel' ain't run out just yet...it will soon though..and I KNOW where to go to get what I WANT for later!
Old 03-13-2003, 12:44 PM
Q-Ball

Default Kid

Kid,
A guy came to the field a few months ago that was moving to Fla. He had six gallons of the Rich's stuff and the movers wouldn't take it so he was selling it for ten dollars a gallon. I bought two and another guy bought two. I've been using it since then with no problems what so ever and the other guy wants some more too. So I don't find anything at all wrong with it.

I am famaliar with these type chemicals and used to load barges of it before I retired. I can tell you this. If you pour up a quart or a gallon or whatever and take a tooth pick and wet the end of it with water and dip it in the chemical,it will completely send the chemical out of spec. High humidity can even destroy it. So if people make this stuff without rules and regs or in a damp place,your rite it would be no good at all.

Now that I've used it.I wish I would have bought all he had.
I'm really having guilt feelings bout even going elsewhere to buy it. I,as most of the club members support Don and the shop,but when you do a lot of flying,the fuel goes fast and at 17.00 a gallon it can get expensive on what you call a fixed income. I'm searching around to see where I can get it cheaper for me and others.

As far as Rich's Brew....No complaints here...

Come see us'....Walt
Old 03-13-2003, 01:28 PM
kidkadet

Default Thanks For the reply

Q-ball

Thanks for the input. I have never tried it in my engine. I may buy a gallon and see what it does.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:14 AM
Dago Red
My Feedback: (11)

I used it , my very first gallon. now all i have used is Byrons. I have heard that ritches brew makes some engine go nuts, but its abounch of crap, runs good in engines.
I buy my fuel from Don to, and i too feel guily when i dont buy from him. i think i paid $15 for my last gallon, not including taxes.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:39 AM
jpflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Default Hmmmm.....

I have used "the Brew" in the past with mixed results. I bought a 40 sized X-Cell 40 helo about 10 years ago and couldn't get the preferred OS engine for it, so I bought a Magnum from a local hobby shop and ran it in the helo. It got only Ritches Brew until the crank destroyed itself. Magnum had the 2 year warranty thing going on, so I sent it back. I got a call from Magnum and they asked what kind of fuel did I use. I told them. I was told they would warranty the engine this time, but never again as long as I used Ritches Brew. As to the individual, I purchased a Bridi 1/5 scale AT-6 semi-kit from him at Bomber Field many years ago. It was minus the plans. He promised the plans were at the shop and he would get them to me as soon as possible. I sent him a reminder letter. No plans. Never got the plans. The kit was useless without the plans. I ended up giving it away. You decide if you want to do business with this person.
jpflyer
Old 03-23-2003, 01:13 AM
Q-Ball

Default Kid & Dago

Talked to Rich's in Houston and when buying a case of fuel the price is 9.50 a gallon.Not bad...Just wanted to mention it in case yall are interested.
Yall take it easy.....Walt