Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Hobby Shop Customer Service

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.
View Poll Results: A poll
Shop should repace it with one from stock, if available.
72.73%
Shop should hanle the return to the MFG, for you, and you wait.
27.27%
You bought, you got it. Deal with MFG yourself.
0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Hobby Shop Customer Service

Old 08-16-2007, 09:33 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby Shop Customer Service

OK, I am curious how you feel a local hobby shop should handle a problem with a product sold in the shop.
Lets say you cruise into the LHS, and buy a whatever, say a common servo, or .40 size engine. You get home and the "whatever" is defective, and need replacement. You cruise back down to the shop, and show "Joe Shopkeeper" you problem. How do you feel "Joe" should handle this?
Disclaimer: I have NOT purchased any faulty products from a LHS recently, but have in the past,& had no problems with the service.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:38 AM
coleholley

Default RE: Hobby Shop Customer Service

My LHS returned 4 Micro-T's for me a while back. I had problems with all 4 and they took the old one and gave me a new one right off the shelve. And I'm happy I didn't order it off the internet because that would of been a pain.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:46 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

IMO, that's one of the many benefits of dealing with a local business...the face to face customer service. By all means, if another of the same item is available, they should happily exchange items, and deal with the manufacturer/distributor themselves on the defective item. If they don't have another in stock, then I believe they should order another while handling the return.

To me, the "We didn't make it, sorry, deal with the manufacturer" attitude is nothing more than a cop-out. I hear people say "Well, the LHS isn't responsible for the quality of workmanship or parts in item X"...but they ARE INDEED responsible. It is THEIR choice to carry that item...THEY have chosen THAT item to offer to their customers.

Now...I'll certainly grant that there are numerous cases where I'd happily make an exception. If, for example, my LHS were to special-order something for me because I wanted a specific brand that they did not carry....I wouldn't have much heartache with being left to deal with the manufacturer on my own if things broke. And certainly I think it's fair that the LHS place conditions on the exchange/return, such as "item must include all original packaging" or what have you.

However...more often than not, it seems to me that if two reasonable people can talk face to face, each trying to understand the other's situation, then SOMETHING fair for both parties can be worked out....again, the value of the L in LHS.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:23 PM
cutaway

Everything sold comes with implied warranties of "merchantability" and "fitness of purpose" unless explicitly disclaimed beforehand.

If they want you to come back and spend more green, they need to take care of you. There's all sorts of places I don't patronize anymore because of poor customer service (not necessarily all hobby related)
Old 08-16-2007, 02:15 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

I once ordered a replacement wing for an Avistar 40 RTF, through the LHS. I bought it, put it in the back seat of the pickup, and drove home, only to find out that the sheeting on one wing half was cracked almost the full span of the wing half. I took it back to the LHS, and they took the wing back and said that they'd call up the manufacturer. It took two weeks, but I did get a replacement wing, and the LHS still got their money. I didn't do anything except bring it back, wait, and go back for the new wing. I still go to said hobby shop on a regular basis, just not as often as I used to because said pickup truck isn't exactly the most fuel efficient vehicle on the planet, so I either do one of two things: I wait until I compile a list large enough to drive to the LHS, or if the parts are urgently needed, I order just what I need online. So far, I've only made one exception in the two years of doing it this way, and that was to order an HPI Racing Savage X 4.1 RTR on Tower Hobbies for $383.98 shipped to my door. The LHS was able to match the price, but I'd still have to pay $35 in tax. In total, I got the truck for almost $150 cheaper then the sticker price at the LHS, including tax. I do buy aircraft and helis only through the LHS though, for the same reason as mentioned above regarding the wing. The guys at the LHS let me open the boxes of whatever I buy, and carefully inspect it before I decide to puchase it, which is why I seldom buy big ticket items through mail order. Their prices are competitive, and their service is outstanding.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:29 PM
FOD MAN

I bought an O.S. .65 la at mikes hobby shop in dallas awhile back. was stuck in traffic after only a few minutes ( dallas in rush hour) so i took it from the box and noticed the pressure tap was broken off. made a cellphone call to mikes and they said it must have gotten broken after i bought it. yeah right, 5 minutes after buying it you would think that they would have made good on replaceing a $2.00 part. i had been spending at least $800.00 a month in that hobby shop but have not spent a cent there since. that two dollar part has now cost them several thousand dollars in sales. nice to have more than one shop in town