Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Toledo RC show April 4th.

Old 03-18-2003, 05:44 PM
Dr Yancey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toledo RC show April 4th.

Considering attending Toledo RC show next month.

Is it worth a 12 hour drive, do vendors have show prices and deals or are most things at list or only to exhibit not buy and take with you?

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:07 PM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

Yes it's worth my 6 hour drive
Yes many vendors offer deals, but I was charged ohio state sales tax which offsets shipping in most cases.
Plan to attend the auction sat night some incredible deals come up there
You will get to see many planes that wont be out for months for planning new airplanes, booths from almost everyone in the industry.
Bring lots of cash
Old 03-18-2003, 08:36 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I go just for the event. I used to live near the WRAM show in NY and would go every year. This year, I'm going to Toledo for the first time. Really looking forward to it.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:54 PM
Dave Bowles
My Feedback: (7)

Default toledo

Mu drive will be almost 15 hours, Yes I am going , AGAIN.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:15 PM
Fly4Fun2
My Feedback: (25)

Definately worth the drive. Saturday is VERY crowded. In fact, one year a guy had a heart attack around 10:00 and did not hit the floor until 4:00.

Friday has the best selection of items - Sunday is the least crowded and sometimes the best deals as it is easier to sell than pack up and take back after 3 gruelling days. The auction is incredible.

Try to get to Tony Paco's for a dog!!
Old 03-19-2003, 02:37 AM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

I'm going for the first time and I have $1,500.00 burning a hole in my pocket. I can hear those vendors now "hey sailor...looking for a good time?"
Old 03-19-2003, 01:44 PM
Tippie

Default Driving to Ohio

For those driving to Ohio for the first time, the Ohio HP takes the speed limits seriously. Not like Georgia where you never see a trooper. You will see one in Ohio almost every 10 miles and when you see them they will be giving someone a high speed driving award. Word of warning, I lived there 18 years and people drive at or near the speed limit.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:03 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll be taking the 12 hour (one way) trip again this year....just remember to wear some walking shoes :-)

Jerry
Old 03-19-2003, 08:44 PM
RedWing

I am a lot closer, 1 hour south for me.
I want to go on Friday when the kids are in school. Wife works all day Saturday and I would have the kids.
I second Tippie, I got pulled over on the Turnpike and I was doing the speed limit. He said he did not see my front license plate (which I had in the front window). Of course he radared two cars and a truck before pulling out and passing all of them to pull me over. They are very polite though.
Old 03-20-2003, 12:51 AM
mweathers

WHY BOTHER DRIVING WHEN THE AIRLINES FLY IN EVERY 4 HOURS AND BESIDES ITS PROBABLY CHEAPER AND THEN HAVE THE VENDORS SHIP YOUR STUFF TO YOU. RT ST. LOUIS TO TOLEDO IS 135.00. JUST A THOUGHT,
Old 03-20-2003, 02:31 AM
scale buff
My Feedback: (24)

I agree completely with all the previous comments, but find it surprising that no onw has mentioned the incredible models that will be on display, built by modelers around the country. I always want to trash my stuff when I get back from Toledo. I can't believe how talented some people are. Also, it's a great place to talk to vendors and to find out what's new in the hobby. I would say that Toledo is a "must" for any serious R/C builder/flyer. And don't forget to bring your camera.

Frank T.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:27 PM
wood
My Feedback: (2)

Default toledo

Thanks for the Roscoe warning!

I'll have to bring the radar detector AND do the speed limit. Don't want to waste any $$ on a ticket when I can buy an airplane!

I will be making the trip for the first time from the Rice Lake or Hudson, WI area, not sure which yet, there are a few of us going. Should be about a 10 hour drive.

Sounds like lots of fun.

WOOD
Old 03-21-2003, 02:35 AM
Ed

Y'all don't forget to try out all them goodies that you bought at Toledo the following weekend. Take 'em down to Tucson Arizona for our 14th annual WINGS OVER THE DESERT IMAA fly-in and Swap Meet. Dust off them big birds, and y'all come on down and thaw out. We got a 600 x 100' paved runway, R/C Swap Meet, ramadas, food concession, camping on site, pilot raffles, and the world famous Pima Air Museum is right down the road.

Contact > Kim Winsor, [email protected]
, or Kim or Laury at phone, 520-885-5767.

Y'all come now, y'hear !
Old 03-21-2003, 07:04 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

I went in '97. It's cool to see. I agree with all of the above. My only disappointment was that most of the really big players don't sell at the show. I just ordered the stuff from my LHS when I got home.

You also get to meet some really cool people. I got to talk to Dick Pettit from RCReport and I ate lunch next to Jeff Combs (TOC pilot).

To the guy with $1500. You will be amazed at how fast that can be vaporized at Toledo!
Old 03-21-2003, 11:29 PM
Farmall

Having had a booth there many times in the past I can give you this advice.

If you are looking to buy and don't want a crowd go Friday, it will be crowded but everone there is a modeler.

Saturday is full of modelers with their kids and wifes, really crowded, a lot of the good stuff is gone, if you are a vendor you never bring enough of what is selling hot and too much of what's not. If you are going to the auction, go early, the seats fill fast and you are left standing after standing all day.

Sunday, if it is a hot item it is sold out, the crowd is mostly familys looking for something to do and want to see what this modeling is all about. The vendors have very tired feet and just want to pack up and go home cause you don't sell much on Sunday.

And bring a bag or knapsack to carry your purchaces in if they are small, along with all of the free magazines, brochures and stuff, it's hard to fondle new items with your hands full!

Lance
Old 03-22-2003, 01:48 AM
wrbirch
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the seminars, I went to one on covering and learned lots. But I was new last year.
I live in Ohio, Yes We do have MANY MANY polite police.
Lots of new items and lots of the odd stuff your local shop doesn't carry.
Old 03-22-2003, 11:52 AM
rc34074
My Feedback: (5)

toledo is a great show . you should go at least once- then you can decide for yourself whether you go back.

toledo has all different kinds of stuff for your planes- so you can decide what ypu want to use on your planes. of couse almost all the people who sell planes will be there, except some who only go to shows near where they live. the models on display are superb. i have wondered how many of them ever are flown tho.

the swap shop is somehting i do when i finish on the main floor, as i have only certain planes that i am interested in - but you do have a pretty nice swap shop.

i go on saturday- tried friday but went back to saturday. decided to keep my days off for flying days. plus its a hassle finding a parking place anywhere near the show on friday because all the downtown workers are working on friday and they are parking in those parking lots.

ed
Old 03-22-2003, 01:24 PM
Roquewj

I have attended every year in the last seven years or so. Enjoyed every time.
Since I leave in S.America, I combine business with pleasure by visiting with customers in the area.

Looking forward to be there.
Old 03-22-2003, 01:57 PM
RCPilot100

No, it is not worth going to. No good deals - too many people - not not much to look at. Stay away. Don't go. It is not worth the one hour drive I have to make, but I will go anyway so I can report back to everyone next year.

Dan

PS: Before anyone gets their undies in a bunch, it is a great show and worth the drive - but if I can everyone to stay home, I will have great parking, my own ticket line, and the place to myself.
Old 03-23-2003, 03:40 AM
Pappy Boyington

I always make myself a list of items I actually need to complete some unbuilt plans and kits. It's nice to have something to refer to if you see something in the swap meet, like, what size spinner was that I needed, 4 or 4 1/2 inch? Funny how I always see something new that tickles my fancy and buy that instead...then hoof myself because after the four hour drive home I realize I forgot to buy something I saw and needed.

Richard
Old 03-23-2003, 03:52 AM
Warby
My Feedback: (69)

Default Show

I'm going for the first time. Can hardly wait!:spinnyeye
Old 03-23-2003, 03:56 AM
easy2fly
My Feedback: (3)

guys let me know if you have any questions regarding parking and stuff. im a weak signals member. on sat there is a mud hens game, with fireworks afterward. were going to see if we can grab everyone up from after the auction for a fireworks show thats launched between the stadium and the seagate. there is also a game on thursday. we dont have to worry about parking though. we start much earlier than them, so we get em all jeff
Old 03-23-2003, 04:13 AM
flap

Anyone know if the Sea-Gate Best Western exists?
Im supposed to be getting reservations there, but, the 800# i have tells me there is no BW in Toledo.
Its supposed to be accross from a convention center or a Raddison with a large parking garage adjacent to the bldg. the trade show is in????????
Old 03-23-2003, 04:27 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Born and raised in the Great State of Ohio. We truly appreciate all the donations you boys from out of state make to our treasury each year. Remeber 65 means 65 in Ohio, not 75 like in Michigan, Illinois, Georgia etc. I will say though, the OSP are very polite bunch though!!!
Old 03-23-2003, 04:29 AM
Warby
My Feedback: (69)

Default OSP

Originally posted by mscic
Born and raised in the Great State of Ohio. We truly appreciate all the donations you boys from out of state make to our treasury each year. Remeber 65 means 65 in Ohio, not 75 like in Michigan, Illinois, Georgia etc. I will say though, the OSP are very polite bunch though!!!
Are you OSP?