Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Nothing but giant scale at your field, are you intimidated?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.
View Poll Results: A poll
No I fly as normal.
75.84%
I'm somewhat uncomfortable but fly anyway.
14.77%
I leave my stuff in the car and watch.
6.04%
I leave and go home.
1.34%
I leave and go fly somewhere else.
2.01%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Nothing but giant scale at your field, are you intimidated?

Old 09-23-2007, 03:12 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nothing but giant scale at your field, are you intimidated?

You arrive at the field with your .40 powered sport plane and there are 6 other flyers there and they all have high dollar giant scale gas powered planes. The pilots hover and maneuver their planes over the runway or near the runway when they fly. At least one is on your frequency.

You are the only glow guy in attendance. Are you in any way intimidated or influenced by the big birds?
Old 09-23-2007, 06:12 PM
weathervane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nothing but giant scale at your field, are you intimidated?

NO, We all come out to fly. It does not matter if you are flying a park flyer or a 40%. Now don't get me wrong if there are three others up I wait until one of them comes down. I try to keep my trainer out of their way. Besides most of them are much better pilots than me and see me coming way before I am a problem.

-Andrew
Old 09-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

I have always fantasized about painting a .40 SPAD flat black, with kill symbols on the side. Big yellow letters, HOVER AND MAKE MY DAY! :-) However we have none of these at our field. I have stopped going to fly-ins where these are featured demos. I really bugs me when there is a really exotic scale model who's pilot has elected not to fly when there are 3D guys doing their thing. It's the 3D guys loss (which they probably can't appreciate), not mine.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:34 PM
cutaway

I pull out my 30 year old C/L Magician with a ST combat .35 and wring it out HARD. Until the tank runs dry, suddenly the most interesting thing at the field isn't the size of someone's wallet ;-> Most of the folks have never seen a real C/L plane, even fewer have seen one flown hard by a guy with boxes full of C/L combat trophies.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Stickbuilder

Super Swoop with one of Hy Johnson's 35's on pressure will do that too.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 09-23-2007, 07:49 PM
cutaway

I got a new unflown Super Swoop up in the attic I built years ago. Covered it with Skyloft too. How I ever managed to bend that stuff around the tips is still a mystery ;-> I think its drilled for a 36X or maybe a ST .35. I gotta make up some new bladders though. I put a bladder tube in it rather than the hard tank.

I've got a hankering to order a set of Berryman's Super Twister plans from Barry Baxter and build one. I'd also like to do another Super Satan. That thing was fast.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Dan767
My Feedback: (19)

If you come to my club, and I'm there flying something big, please get your stuff out and join me. I fly my Hangar 9 Tribute with it's .36 engine or a Foamy along with my 33% Hangar 9 Edge 540. You paid you club dues to fly, so please, do so.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:38 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Personally I'm somewhat uncomfortable.

I've been modeling for over 40 years and have made a mistake or two over that time. Fortunately none has resulted in the crash of an aircraft. Once I was adjusting my plane at home and forgot to turn off the transmitter. I drove out to the field with it on, didn't discover the mistake till I was ready to fly. Thankfully I was the only one at the field. I've been lucky!

Now I make a point of stopping on the way to the field just to double check the transmitter(s).

I simply can't afford to make a mistake and be forced to buy someone a new 40% plane. I constantly check, double check and triple check my transmitter and pin. All the worry sort of takes away from the fun.

Sometimes it's more relaxing to just go somewhere else or fly control line!
Old 09-24-2007, 12:16 AM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

Big is were this hobby is going. everyone wants to be the biggest and badest. those who hover their giant planes over the runway make it hard for those of us who want to fly a "pattern". the two don't mix. hopefully the flyers at your field can work it out. but if you are out numbered, good luck!
Old 09-24-2007, 05:20 AM
Stickbuilder

When they are hogging the runway, just take something out with a WEBRA Speed engine in it, and call taking off, they will move. They will move faster when you call landing, especially if it is something like a lead sled and you have to land it hot.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 09-24-2007, 07:56 AM
BillyGoat

I wouldn't feel intimidated to fly.

Now if you changed the poll question from “Giant Scale” to “FAI pattern flyers”… I defiantly would leave everything in the truck and watch.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:20 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We have 'some' 27%, 33% and one 40% in our club. But the biggest problem is the .60 sized pattern guys flying the old style pattern while the rest of us fly a racetrack pattern.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:04 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: 2fast

You arrive at the field with your .40 powered sport plane and there are 6 other flyers there .....................
Only 6 other pilots to deal with? That would be great compared to where I usually fly. If you couldn't work out something so everyone could get some time to do their thing I would be surprised. Guys with that much of an investment tend to be willing to compromise if it means less chance of damaging their plane.

I have had more problems with 6 .40 sized planes in the air at one time making low passes down the center line of the run way. Someone hovering is less dangerous in my opinion and therefore less intimidating. Personal preferance for flying styles aside, it all comes down to mutual respect and cooperating so everyone can do their thing.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:47 AM
Hossfly

Red:
I have always fantasized about painting a .40 SPAD flat black, with kill symbols on the side. Big yellow letters, HOVER AND MAKE MY DAY! :-)
Great idea, Red. Now I have to paint my .40 Spad black.

My .40 Spad is powered by an old, but low time, Super Tigre .60 ABC Blue head, and demands some respect. It has even caught a 6" sched. 40 PVC Racing pylon with very minimal damage. Yep, bringing that down the runway among 3D runway blockers would be fun just to see where the intimidation really is. [sm=48_48.gif]

However my field does NOT allow high speed passes or 3D over the runway when any other pilot station is occupied. (There are 6 stations for a maximum of 5 fliers at any one time.)
Fortunately very few ever push the rules. Still I will go find some black paint!

To the subject: I don't get intimidated with one exception: She runs the household here!!! [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 09-25-2007, 02:32 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to fly at a field where the largest plane usually was a 1.20 bird and the GS stuff was few and far between. Now I fly at a field where the smallest bird on any given weekend is 35% and high dollar scale stuff. It does give you a sense of an inferiority complex but at the end of the day non of those guys pay my club dues or my planes so I enjoy myself.

Now on the topic of other members giving you the evil eye because you fly more aggressively than they do is another story
Old 04-23-2011, 10:12 AM
dredhea
My Feedback: (13)

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, I know; This is an old thread, But I'm be interested in kicking some new life into and see what people think. Personally, you're never going to intimidate me in the least with the plane you chose to fly, no matter how big a cash pit it is. Fly it well, however, and I'm very likely to leave my stuff in the back of the truck and just watch. Still, though, I think "impressed" would fit better than "intimidated".
Old 04-23-2011, 11:34 AM
red head

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't care what size they are ( 40 % or small electrics ) if they are over the runway hovering they don't belong there. My students need the runway to practice landings and touch and go's . I also like to do touch and go's one after another. Helicopters and hovering belong way of the back of the runway so everyone else can enjoy their part of this sport. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 04-23-2011, 11:42 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The issue in play isn't how expensive it is, it's the way it's being flown,, when the cheapy 3D fun flies first came out we had a guy that would just screw around right over the runway.. just a flippidy flopping sitting duck. It wasn't the value of his plane, but the chance mine would get taken out if we hit. I'd just do my low passes a little further off the stripe,, no biggie

Luckily the club I'm in now, we're a small club and most guys go out very early, by the time I get there they've flown a lot and are just sitting on the side lines,, I have all the free air space I could ask for. If a guy does take up a 35-40% most wanna sit and watch anyway.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:47 AM
tailskid

I am most intimidated more by the 12 year old who can fly circles around me
Old 04-23-2011, 12:26 PM
dredhea
My Feedback: (13)

Fishermen understand that quite often, "fishing" has very little to do with catching fish. It's more about the company. Flying is the same way. We often have eight or ten guys at the field, yet only one at a time will be flying. The rest are sitting, watching and talking about flying. On any given weekend day, I can spend six or seven hours at the field and realize on the way home that I only flew one or two times, yet I feel that I had a "full" day of flying.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Tarasdad

At our field it's usually one person flying, the rest kibitzing. We do have rules in place of no more than 5 aircraft in the air at any time, 15 minute time limit per flight but I've yet to see either be an issue.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Silent-AV8R

What I hate is when I arrive at the field and everyone else has their HIGH DOLLAR Ferraris. I turn my 1999 F-150 around and leave. They have more money than I do so I cannot be around them.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:13 PM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: 049flyer

You arrive at the field with your .40 powered sport plane and there are 6 other flyers there and they all have high dollar giant scale gas powered planes. The pilots hover and maneuver their planes over the runway or near the runway when they fly. At least one is on your frequency.

You are the only glow guy in attendance. Are you in any way intimidated or influenced by the big birds?

Does it bother you 049 flyer?

BV
Old 04-24-2011, 05:53 AM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

ORIGINAL: tailskid

I am most intimidated more by the 12 year old who can fly circles around me

Yes, it is even worse when there are at least 10 pre-teens at the field and they all out fly me
Old 04-24-2011, 07:33 AM
tailskid

rcdude7, I think we should ban them from our clubs or at least make them fly after dark (ha ha)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.